2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I need help....

I received recall/update letter 10B20. This was a request by Ford to bring your Edge back in for a Sync/MyFordTouch update-upgrade.

I took mine into the dealer this past Friday. When I picked it up, I found that the MFT screen had changed. It still sort of looks the same. But I do not have any options anymore that came with my particular model. I purchased the Edge Limited AWD.

The options I found missing are: Navigation section is completely gone. Reverse Backup Parking assist camera is dead. Climate section has things missing like the heated seats etc. Sirius radio is gone and little things like the ambient lighting screen is totally missing. This was the screen with the colored balls and you could pick out a color. The only color I have is the purple. These are the things that I have found. There may be more in the back ground. I had to re-pair my bluetooth phone myself over the weekend and it seems to be working. I no longer have the 911 assist though.

Does anyone know if Ford decided to eliminate some options with the upgrade? I don't think this is fair. Some of these like the Navigation were very expensive when I purchased the car.

If this upgrade is not right... has anyone else experienced this and what was done to fix it? Maybe I can relay it back to the dealer.

Thanx Amy.

Hi,

I need help....

I received recall/update letter 10B20. This was a request by Ford to bring your Edge back in for a Sync/MyFordTouch update-upgrade.

I took mine into the dealer this past Friday. When I picked it up, I found that the MFT screen had changed. It still sort of looks the same. But I do not have any options anymore that came with my particular model. I purchased the Edge Limited AWD.

The options I found missing are: Navigation section is completely gone. Reverse Backup Parking assist camera is dead. Climate section has things missing like the heated seats etc. Sirius radio is gone and little things like the ambient lighting screen is totally missing. This was the screen with the colored balls and you could pick out a color. The only color I have is the purple. These are the things that I have found. There may be more in the back ground. I had to re-pair my bluetooth phone myself over the weekend and it seems to be working. I no longer have the 911 assist though.

Does anyone know if Ford decided to eliminate some options with the upgrade? I don't think this is fair. Some of these like the Navigation were very expensive when I purchased the car.

If this upgrade is not right... has anyone else experienced this and what was done to fix it? Maybe I can relay it back to the dealer.

Thanx Amy.

Have your dealership do the upgrade again. This time, they should read the instructions on how to do it right!

Edited by wilsons66604

Have your dealership do the upgrade again. This time, they should read the instructions on how to do it right!

Thanx Wilson,

Guess I'll have to put up with what I have for a while. Can't afford to lose another days work right now. Working on a special project at work and it's all hands on deck. Plus the 50 mile round trip cab fare is expensive. It took them 9-1/2 hrs. to do the upgrade on Friday. So I took a cab home and back. When I returned Friday night the shop was closed. Picked up my keys in the showroom, so I couldn't talk to anybody.

Guess I'll get out my old Sirus receiver and dashtop Garmin until I can get this fixed.

I hate the purple color.

Amy.

I am glad to see a "pinned" thread on MFT (My FordTourch) Problems.

I was a very early 2011 LTD Edge owner (Sept. 2010) and had a LOT of issues with the MFT (mostly having to pull Fuse 29 from time to time to clear an issue and get the thing to work).

If there is indeed an update now available by the dealer, can someone link what bugs this update is supposed to fix?

Also, I don't see anything saying I need an update on "SyncMyRide.com".

Would love to hear of folks who report :happy feet: joy and happiness after getting the upgrade/patch and no more :banghead: bad issues before I try to get to a dealership.

Thanks!

Thanx Wilson,

Guess I'll have to put up with what I have for a while. Can't afford to lose another days work right now. Working on a special project at work and it's all hands on deck. Plus the 50 mile round trip cab fare is expensive. It took them 9-1/2 hrs. to do the upgrade on Friday. So I took a cab home and back. When I returned Friday night the shop was closed. Picked up my keys in the showroom, so I couldn't talk to anybody.

Guess I'll get out my old Sirus receiver and dashtop Garmin until I can get this fixed.

I hate the purple color.

Amy.

"Cab fare"? When I took my Edge in for the dealer MFT update, I got a free loaner car for as long as it would take (1.5 days) There should be no reason why you shouldn't get a loaner

"Cab fare"? When I took my Edge in for the dealer MFT update, I got a free loaner car for as long as it would take (1.5 days) There should be no reason why you shouldn't get a loaner

Hi lowesdell,

I agree with your sentiments. But in semi-defense of the Dealer....

When I first made the appointment for the upgrade, the guy at the service desk said, " It's considered a 1/2 Day Warranty Service by Ford, and they don't pay for 1/2 day rentals/loaners".

I didn't have another ride. So after waiting half the morning the day it was being serviced, and the service guys said the upgrade was giving them a fit... I just called a cab.

They told me later it is the first one they have done.

The Edge goes back in tomorrow for the second go round of trying to upgrade the MyFord Touch and get my options back.

Guess I'll see if they offer a loaner this time.

Amy

I am glad to see a "pinned" thread on MFT (My FordTourch) Problems.

I was a very early 2011 LTD Edge owner (Sept. 2010) and had a LOT of issues with the MFT (mostly having to pull Fuse 29 from time to time to clear an issue and get the thing to work).

If there is indeed an update now available by the dealer, can someone link what bugs this update is supposed to fix?

Also, I don't see anything saying I need an update on "SyncMyRide.com".

Would love to hear of folks who report happy feet.gif joy and happiness after getting the upgrade/patch and no more :banghead: bad issues before I try to get to a dealership.

Thanks!

Hi xphile,

My Edge was delivered Nov 12, 2010. Did not receive the update letter until Jan. 21, 2011. Ironically, I had no complaints or problems with MyFord Touch before the upgrade last week. Naturally it makes you wish that I never had the upgrade, but hopefully they'll figure out why my car didn't upgrade right.

I actually wrote to Ford the other day, to tell them the Dealer was having trouble with the upgrade. They answered promptly. The title on the email back said G2 V1.1. The person that wrote the letter said I should tell the Dealer to look at their bulletins, because there is actually yet another new upgrade after the one I'm getting right now. It is to be done by the Dealer also. So I guess I'll get the details tomorrow when I take the Edge back in to the shop.

I've read elsewhere here at this forum xphile, that you can contact your dealer with your VIN number, and they should be able to look up and see if your car needs any upgrades.

Amy.

Hi xphile,

My Edge was delivered Nov 12, 2010. Did not receive the update letter until Jan. 21, 2011. Ironically, I had no complaints or problems with MyFord Touch before the upgrade last week. Naturally it makes you wish that I never had the upgrade, but hopefully they'll figure out why my car didn't upgrade right.

I actually wrote to Ford the other day, to tell them the Dealer was having trouble with the upgrade. They answered promptly. The title on the email back said G2 V1.1. The person that wrote the letter said I should tell the Dealer to look at their bulletins, because there is actually yet another new upgrade after the one I'm getting right now. It is to be done by the Dealer also. So I guess I'll get the details tomorrow when I take the Edge back in to the shop.

I've read elsewhere here at this forum xphile, that you can contact your dealer with your VIN number, and they should be able to look up and see if your car needs any upgrades.

Amy.

Correction xphile. I was wrong about the subject line on the answer letter from Ford. I wrote the above thread on another computer and did not have the letter in front of me.

The subject line says: SYNC Gen 2 - MyFord Touch General Concern. Not G2 V1.1. as I originally said.

In the original letter to Ford, I said that the Dealer had trouble upgrading MyFordTouch with Upgrade 10B20 and that I had lost a number of options and functions.

The letter from Ford reads: " We apologize for the concerns you are having with your vehicle. It appears there is a newer MyFord Touch Update (other than the 10B20) that is available at your dealership. If your Dealership is unable to locate this newer update, please have them contact the SYNC Support Center for more information."

Wow! There is yet a newer Dealer Update than 10B20. I just received the 10B20 letter last week.

I will find out tomorrow when my Edge goes in the shop if the updates work.

Amy

Wow! There is yet a newer Dealer Update than 10B20. I just received the 10B20 letter last week.

I will find out tomorrow when my Edge goes in the shop if the updates work.

Amy

I am taking my Edge in on Saturday myself...close enough for an oil change and they will do the update. I will post what I find out about what they are supposed to fix (I wish there were "patch notes") and how it works. I posted on older non-sticky threads about all the issues I have had and having to "force reboot" with fuse 29 several times when the system starts acting goofy. Mostly I am hoping for better bluetooth with my iphone and things like "contacts pictures" to work, the ability to "soft reboot" without pulling a fuse and faster response times in general and at startup.

I wish us both luck.

I am taking my Edge in on Saturday myself...close enough for an oil change and they will do the update. I will post what I find out about what they are supposed to fix (I wish there were "patch notes") and how it works. I posted on older non-sticky threads about all the issues I have had and having to "force reboot" with fuse 29 several times when the system starts acting goofy. Mostly I am hoping for better bluetooth with my iphone and things like "contacts pictures" to work, the ability to "soft reboot" without pulling a fuse and faster response times in general and at startup.

I wish us both luck.

Update. Mon. Feb. 7.

Edge went back into the Shop Friday Feb. 4th. The retry on the upgrade/download worked this time. Everything is working again!! Got all my optons back.

Dealer had it all day. They said they had to remove all files and start over downloading the operating system for MyFord Touch/Sync. They had to download it twice from the Ford site before everything worked properly. Although they said they have upgraded a lot of Ford Sync systems, this was their first upgrade/download for the new 2011 MF.T system.

As far as the upgrade itself: Naturally you don't know what the developers improved in the background of the system, I notice that the backup warning system now beeps if a vehicle is approaching from left or right. This definitely didn't work before when I backed out of my driveway. Do not see a difference in what some others have commented about IE: Still some lag time occasionally when responding to Touch or Voice commands. Also still no pics on phone contacts and other phone options, but then again I have a Droid2, not an iPhone. The basic Bluetooth phone functions do work in my Edge.

I've never had to remove a fuse to reboot the system. Since Nov 12 when I picked the car up, it only locked up and froze on me one time. Luckily it was a short trip to a store. When I started the car back up after shopping, it was okay.

I have to go on a business trip end of this week. I'll be using everything while traveling. Nav, tunes & business phone calls so this will be my first real test since I've owned the car and on a long trip.

Amy

I am taking my Edge in on Saturday myself...close enough for an oil change and they will do the update. I will post what I find out about what they are supposed to fix (I wish there were "patch notes") and how it works.

I took my Edge in Saturday and two hours later, they had the update done. It is a LONG update, so consider carefully having reading material or other entertainment!

Verdict: GREAT UPDATE

Here is a list of what I was told and found out so far from my own use:

- They told me "fixes 90% of the problems" (three different folks said this, so must be in a memo!)

- System seems to boot faster at car startup

- Backup Camera works better/faster

- Beeping on cross-traffic (as Amy noted) now...be nice to have a visual on the screen but I like the beep!

- BEST IMPROVEMENT: Bluetooth Audio WORKS flawlessly with my iphone 4!! I like better often than USB as I can control a podcast better from the phone (I use 2x speed a lot). Also, kids like to watch movie on iphone or ipad in car and it is nice to get the audio out the speakers on occasion if I don't mind listening along :hyper:

- Iphone 4 cover art works now via USB (not Bluetooth)! Before you only got "Gracenote Cover Art" if you had that switched on. Now it feeds all the art from my iPhone. Kind of cool.

- Still no contact pics from the iPhone. Cool feature but not a deal breaker (kind of false advertising as they show this on ALL the adds and brochures). Bummer a key feature does not work with most popular phones such as iOS and Android.

Overall I am happy with this one! I only found out this was a "recall" when I was at the dealership...never got a letter.

I took my Edge in Saturday and two hours later, they had the update done. It is a LONG update, so consider carefully having reading material or other entertainment!

Verdict: GREAT UPDATE

Here is a list of what I was told and found out so far from my own use:

- They told me "fixes 90% of the problems" (three different folks said this, so must be in a memo!)

- System seems to boot faster at car startup

- Backup Camera works better/faster

- Beeping on cross-traffic (as Amy noted) now...be nice to have a visual on the screen but I like the beep!

- BEST IMPROVEMENT: Bluetooth Audio WORKS flawlessly with my iphone 4!! I like better often than USB as I can control a podcast better from the phone (I use 2x speed a lot). Also, kids like to watch movie on iphone or ipad in car and it is nice to get the audio out the speakers on occasion if I don't mind listening along :hyper:

- Iphone 4 cover art works now via USB (not Bluetooth)! Before you only got "Gracenote Cover Art" if you had that switched on. Now it feeds all the art from my iPhone. Kind of cool.

- Still no contact pics from the iPhone. Cool feature but not a deal breaker (kind of false advertising as they show this on ALL the adds and brochures). Bummer a key feature does not work with most popular phones such as iOS and Android.

Overall I am happy with this one! I only found out this was a "recall" when I was at the dealership...never got a letter.

xphile,

You mentioned no visual on the screen for the cross traffic. Mine does not show on the center screen with the backup camera, but next time you are in a situation where it beeps, look on the "Speedometer" dash. The left LCD screen flashes a special warning and even tells you if the approaching vehicle is coming from the left or right.

My tunes are ran through one of the USB ports. I use a Sony Walkman and the cover Art does not show. Gracenote is turned on. Not sure if it is because of the droid/android operating system, that the Gracenote can't get the cover art. I have special software on my computer that downloads all album info and art to each file, so I know it's there on the Walkman. It works and shows on my other playback stereo equipment. I'm thinking of getting an ipod to see if it is more compatible with the MyTouch system. I've already downloaded my own mp3 files to itunes and it saved everything including album art. Hate giving up on the Walkman. I own 3 of them. It has great sound for playback.

Amy

xphile,

You mentioned no visual on the screen for the cross traffic. Mine does not show on the center screen with the backup camera, but next time you are in a situation where it beeps, look on the "Speedometer" dash. The left LCD screen flashes a special warning and even tells you if the approaching vehicle is coming from the left or right.

My tunes are ran through one of the USB ports. I use a Sony Walkman and the cover Art does not show. Gracenote is turned on. Not sure if it is because of the droid/android operating system, that the Gracenote can't get the cover art. I have special software on my computer that downloads all album info and art to each file, so I know it's there on the Walkman. It works and shows on my other playback stereo equipment. I'm thinking of getting an ipod to see if it is more compatible with the MyTouch system. I've already downloaded my own mp3 files to itunes and it saved everything including album art. Hate giving up on the Walkman. I own 3 of them. It has great sound for playback.

Amy

If gracenote is turned on, you won't see your own cover art. You will only see the lame selection that gracenote offers

If gracenote is turned on, you won't see your own cover art. You will only see the lame selection that gracenote offers

I got tired of seeing the music symbol pic that gracenotes offers when it can't find the album cover art. I had gracenotes turned on for about 10 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as of 2 days ago my bluetooth wont work. my phone wont detect it and it wont detect my phone. I played a song and it would lag, cut out, and then go REALLY loud when i didnt even touch anything.

I used to have the same issues with Bluetooth :banghead: until I got the software update a few weeks back. If you have not been into the dealer to get the big update, you should do so, and that likely will solve your BT issues :rockon: .

I'm 3 weeks into ownership on my 2011 Edge and I'm accumulating a small (but growing) list of gripes/bugs/improvements I'd like to see in the MyFord Touch system. Do Ford engineering come here at all? Is there a different forum or venue that would be good to submit bugs and such?

And for the record I am running the latest/greatest software already so what I'm seeing would be in the current production environment. Again, I am not highly dissatisfied or anything, just noticing some bugs that could probably be addressed in a future release of software.

Thanks!

I'm 3 weeks into ownership on my 2011 Edge and I'm accumulating a small (but growing) list of gripes/bugs/improvements I'd like to see in the MyFord Touch system. Do Ford engineering come here at all? Is there a different forum or venue that would be good to submit bugs and such?

And for the record I am running the latest/greatest software already so what I'm seeing would be in the current production environment. Again, I am not highly dissatisfied or anything, just noticing some bugs that could probably be addressed in a future release of software.

Thanks!

www.syncmyride.com

I'm new to the forum and glad to have found it as a new Edge owner. I was interested in a couple of the comments regarding the apparent ability to turn Gracenote on and off. Can someone reference where the instructions are for doing that so I can see my Ipod's Cover Art?

I'm new to the forum and glad to have found it as a new Edge owner. I was interested in a couple of the comments regarding the apparent ability to turn Gracenote on and off. Can someone reference where the instructions are for doing that so I can see my Ipod's Cover Art?

It's under the Options for the USB device. If I remember there is a slide bar when you go there and the Gracenote settings were further down from the first page.

Edited by viper001