2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

I bought my Edge May 2011 and have had non-stop problems with MFT and Sync. I've taken to the dealer twice - would have been more but I've lived with the problems because my dealer won't give me a loaner even though its all under warranty.

The first time they said they installed an "update", the second time they said the system was corrupt - both were temp fixes as the problems came back.

Does anyone know if the update that is due any time now will fix the following issues:

• Steering wheel controls and voice commands don't work or are delayed first five minutes of driving car

• Directions won't download from Sync services - just keeps ringing

• Sync services "voice" is barely audible. Turning up volume doesn't work

• Screen goes black while driving. Sometimes its followed by "scheduled system maintenance", sometimes not.

• Phone doesn't always pair

• Playing music via Bluetooth sometimes shows the song/artist info, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes the track info is stuck.

I'm so fricken' sick of all the problems and the run around from the dealer. The first time I brought it in the service adviser was clueless about the system. I described my long list of problems and he couldn't translate it to the service ticket and had to correct his descriptions. He then made a snarky comment about his fingers hurting from all the typing like it was my fault. The he calls me later to tell me I need to come back with my phone. WTF? Just pair another phone?? Why didn't he mention that to me before I left? They didn't give me a loaner so I had to get a ride back.

I'll NEVER buy another Ford again... this is my first one. I miss my old BMW X3. I paid for all these features and they are pretty useless. Without all the fancy technology, it's just an old crappy Ford!

I bought my Edge May 2011 and have had non-stop problems with MFT and Sync. I've taken to the dealer twice - would have been more but I've lived with the problems because my dealer won't give me a loaner even though its all under warranty.

The first time they said they installed an "update", the second time they said the system was corrupt - both were temp fixes as the problems came back.

Does anyone know if the update that is due any time now will fix the following issues:

• Steering wheel controls and voice commands don't work or are delayed first five minutes of driving car

• Directions won't download from Sync services - just keeps ringing

• Sync services "voice" is barely audible. Turning up volume doesn't work

• Screen goes black while driving. Sometimes its followed by "scheduled system maintenance", sometimes not.

• Phone doesn't always pair

• Playing music via Bluetooth sometimes shows the song/artist info, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes the track info is stuck.

I'm so fricken' sick of all the problems and the run around from the dealer. The first time I brought it in the service adviser was clueless about the system. I described my long list of problems and he couldn't translate it to the service ticket and had to correct his descriptions. He then made a snarky comment about his fingers hurting from all the typing like it was my fault. The he calls me later to tell me I need to come back with my phone. WTF? Just pair another phone?? Why didn't he mention that to me before I left? They didn't give me a loaner so I had to get a ride back.

I'll NEVER buy another Ford again... this is my first one. I miss my old BMW X3. I paid for all these features and they are pretty useless. Without all the fancy technology, it's just an old crappy Ford!

Download and install the update. It will resolve the majority, if not all of your issues. I have been running it since last Thursday, and I have been pretty impressed so far. From reading the message board, the reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive.

Edited by fathead

Download and install the update. It will resolve the majority, if not all of your issues. I have been running it since last Thursday, and I have been pretty impressed so far. From reading the message board, the reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive.

Thanks. I'm still waiting for the update in the mail.

Thanks. I'm still waiting for the update in the mail.

Your dealer should have the new software or you can download it yourself at syncmyride.com. Why wait?

Sounds like your dealer is the bigger problem here. You do not have to use your selling dealer for warranty service. Sounds like you need a new dealer.

Your dealer should have the new software or you can download it yourself at syncmyride.com. Why wait?

Sounds like your dealer is the bigger problem here. You do not have to use your selling dealer for warranty service. Sounds like you need a new dealer.

There's also a new navigation SD card that comes with the update (I have the full navigation)....wasn't sure they'd have those available. Based on my experiences with the dealer I was hoping to avoid going to them. All other Ford dealers are really out of the way for me. Oh and the last time I took it in, they told me there's probably nothing they could do until the update came out. At that time, my navigation wasn't even working and was experiencing serious issues... not just all these "glitches" they we are all complaining about. They must really think I'm a moron to believe that Ford expects customers to drive around with a clearly broken system.

There's also a new navigation SD card that comes with the update (I have the full navigation)....wasn't sure they'd have those available. Based on my experiences with the dealer I was hoping to avoid going to them. All other Ford dealers are really out of the way for me. Oh and the last time I took it in, they told me there's probably nothing they could do until the update came out. At that time, my navigation wasn't even working and was experiencing serious issues... not just all these "glitches" they we are all complaining about. They must really think I'm a moron to believe that Ford expects customers to drive around with a clearly broken system.

I am in the same boat...waiting for the update to come in the mail since we have nav too. We have been plagued with tons of problems and to be honest we were close to selling/lemon law the vehicle. We basically got the same response from Ford that there was nothing else they could do until the update was out. We decided to hold out to see how it actually works since we like so many other things about the Edge. But with all that said I am not really sure what you expected them to do. Just like any system if there is a failure you need to fix/replace the failed part. In this case it was mainly the software and hopefully only the software. So their hands were tied to help you. Personally I have a bigger issue with them pushing this out the door originally with known bugs and continuing to promote the system like it was the best thing ever. I also heard they are giving a small warranty extension but can't confirm that.

Like wlepse said there isn't anything the dealer can do until the new software came out other than doing a full reset.

You can go ahead and install the updated software from syncmyride.com. You won't be able to use the Nav system but it should solve all the other problems. If nav wasn't really working anyway then you won't lost anything. When you get the SD card just plug it in and nav will work. If I was having as many problems as you are I would go ahead and get the update myself.

Like wlepse said there isn't anything the dealer can do until the new software came out other than doing a full reset.

You can go ahead and install the updated software from syncmyride.com. You won't be able to use the Nav system but it should solve all the other problems. If nav wasn't really working anyway then you won't lost anything. When you get the SD card just plug it in and nav will work. If I was having as many problems as you are I would go ahead and get the update myself.

I thought about downloading the new software but I am holding out for the official package. While I am pretty damn sure there wouldn't be any difference (other than lack of nav) I am concerned that if I see any issues in the interim I will lose what little confidence I have in this system working properly. At this point we are used to not having phones connected and other quirks that I can survive another week until it shows up. If it still has issues then well I guess Ford gets one more chance to fix it.

I thought about downloading the new software but I am holding out for the official package. While I am pretty damn sure there wouldn't be any difference (other than lack of nav) I am concerned that if I see any issues in the interim I will lose what little confidence I have in this system working properly. At this point we are used to not having phones connected and other quirks that I can survive another week until it shows up. If it still has issues then well I guess Ford gets one more chance to fix it.

The syncmyride.com download IS the official package. The software is identical. It could be longer than a week to get all of the packages mailed out. If you can wait then wait but if it gets worse and you can do without Nav I'd go ahead and download it.

Yes, there is and was something the dealer could do. My last round of issues (which I didn't list out and separate from the common bugs) were due to a "corrupt" system. It seems they've done a full reprogram of the APIN, twice. What I expected was the dealer to fix the problems...the navigation system was inop. Note, I have the full onscreen navigation... wouldn't take addresses entered onscreen or receive directions via download from Sync services. This isn't a glitch, this is full problem. Having the service advisor basically tell you, you'll have live without the navigation until the update comes out in another 4-5 months is not acceptable. That nav system cost extra AND was one of my top two "must haves" in a vehicle. If they expect me to go without then I expect my money back! I don't trust Ford or installing the update without the SD card for the navigation. This is the Ford's last chance to get it right. They've lost me as repeat customer. I'll be dumping this car when the warranty is up and going back to BMW.

Yes, there is and was something the dealer could do. My last round of issues (which I didn't list out and separate from the common bugs) were due to a "corrupt" system. It seems they've done a full reprogram of the APIN, twice. What I expected was the dealer to fix the problems...the navigation system was inop. Note, I have the full onscreen navigation... wouldn't take addresses entered onscreen or receive directions via download from Sync services. This isn't a glitch, this is full problem. Having the service advisor basically tell you, you'll have live without the navigation until the update comes out in another 4-5 months is not acceptable. That nav system cost extra AND was one of my top two "must haves" in a vehicle. If they expect me to go without then I expect my money back! I don't trust Ford or installing the update without the SD card for the navigation. This is the Ford's last chance to get it right. They've lost me as repeat customer. I'll be dumping this car when the warranty is up and going back to BMW.

Well I think most would agree that Ford has done a terrible job handling this issue. I also suspect there have been several memos sent around Ford and to their delaer network on what to say to customers, one of which being that the file system is currupted. I was told this as well but even with a fresh APIM and programing straight from Ford I still had an inoperable system. Again I am not in anyway defending what they did or how they handled it but at a certain point there really isn't anything else they can do since the expected fix is the software. For us we still enjoy so many other facets of the vehicle that we are hopeful we can salvage the ownership experience, but if these issues continue then we will likely be looking to get out earlier than expected. Hopefully you have good records of the issues, I was keeping a log of failures along with photos to show the problems just in case. Hopefully it won't come to it but it should make any claim a little easier to prove.

I don't blame you if that's the way you were treated but sometimes it's difficult to tell what is coming from Ford and what is coming from the dealer which is an independent business. Another member had a supposed warranty claim denied for a PCM/Coil replacement that everyone else was getting repaired under warranty. He also blamed Ford initially only to find out that the dealer screwed up and Ford eventually covered the repair under warranty.

In this case I would have expected Ford to at least replace the APIM, even if that didn't work for wlepse. Unfortunately you can't tell if the dealer decided not to replace it on their own or if Ford told them not to.

I suspect there is some other hardware problem in certain vehicles - either in another component other than the APIM or in the wiring or connectors. When wlepse gets the new software I guess we can confirm that one way or the other. it's also possible there are multiple bad APIMs.

Either way I hope you get your problem fixed.

When I bought my edge it had a bad apim, dealer replaced and that one was bad too. Ordered another one and all has been fine

So multiple bad apims are a possibility!

I hope it is an APIM issue since that is easy to change. I also suspect they may be using reworked parts for repairs, so that would explain the repeated bad APIM's, just hoping they figure out a new way to test them before releasing them. Just saw another thread where someone with the new SW still has the background noise on calls, where others didn't have this with the old so there must still be some hardware issues out there. Just a matter of what, but I guess that is for Ford to figure out.

I hope it is an APIM issue since that is easy to change. I also suspect they may be using reworked parts for repairs, so that would explain the repeated bad APIM's, just hoping they figure out a new way to test them before releasing them. Just saw another thread where someone with the new SW still has the background noise on calls, where others didn't have this with the old so there must still be some hardware issues out there. Just a matter of what, but I guess that is for Ford to figure out.

The good news is they can no longer say "wait for the update".

I went down to Ford yesterday to see if they could get me an SD card. I was told they were instructed to use the cards for in stock vehicles. Guess they are more interested in making new sales then correcting the existing problems.

I also called Fords 800-392-3673 number to find out if my card has shipped yet which he replied NO. I asked if the software was being sent out in any particular order (Like to those who purchased or leased their vehicle first) to again he replied NO

He suggested I try to find a Ford dealer with a card and offer to purchase it and then get a refund when I get mine in the mail. (200.00)

I just can't believe the way they are handling this

I went down to Ford yesterday to see if they could get me an SD card. I was told they were instructed to use the cards for in stock vehicles. Guess they are more interested in making new sales then correcting the existing problems.

I also called Fords 800-392-3673 number to find out if my card has shipped yet which he replied NO. I asked if the software was being sent out in any particular order (Like to those who purchased or leased their vehicle first) to again he replied NO

He suggested I try to find a Ford dealer with a card and offer to purchase it and then get a refund when I get mine in the mail. (200.00)

FYI

Take this to the dealer maybe they don't understand Fords Policy

CUSTOMER PERFORMANCE UPGRADE PROCESS

Customers with eligible vehicles equipped with the MyFord/MyLincoln Touch system will be notified by mail; however, customers have the option of bringing their vehicle into the dealership to have the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE performed at no cost prior to receiving their PERFORMANCE UPGRADE package. Dealers should check OASIS to verify the customer’s FSA category prior to performing the upgrade. Dealers who perform customer PERFORMANCE UPGRADES should submit a warranty claim as outlined in FSA# 11A01/11A02/11A03. Customers are grouped into 3 categories as outlined below.

FSA 11A03 - Retail customers eligible for self-installation (with and without navigation)

These customers will receive a USB drive, an SD card (if vehicle equipped with navigation), and instructions for completing the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE themselves. Customers may elect to return to the dealer to have the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE performed at no cost. The customer is requested to bring their USB and SD card (if applicable) with them to the appointment.

FSA 11A02 – Certain early Explorers (as identified in OASIS) and Fleet customers that must return to the dealer for the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE.

Corporate Fleet customers who don’t provide Ford with driver specific names and addresses will receive a letter instructing them to return to the Dealer for the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE.

FSA 11A01 - Retail customers ineligible for self-installation who must return to the dealer for the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE (with and without navigation)

These customers will receive only a letter directing them to return to the dealer to have the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE performed, as they have a version of MyFord/MyLincoln Touch software which requires a system reflash administered through the dealer’s IDS tool. Dealers will use their seed stock of SD cards for navigation-equipped units.

Nothing surprises me with this.

Has anyone reported getting the SD card in the mail yet?

I havent heard of anybody (other then dealers) getting the upgrade package (USB and SD). Kinda strange since Ford says they shipped the first batch on 3/5.

When I was on the phone with Ford corporate I asked them that exact question. The gentleman on the phone told me they have been sent out to households already and will be completed with the roll-out 3 weeks from March 5th. He said the dealerships got them via FedEx or UPS. They have all the answers

I havent heard of anybody (other then dealers) getting the upgrade package (USB and SD). Kinda strange since Ford says they shipped the first batch on 3/5.

I was thinking the same thing

Although first batch could be the dealers.....

I'm hoping to get it this week, i need my SD card!