2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

When I was on the phone with Ford corporate I asked them that exact question. The gentleman on the phone told me they have been sent out to households already and will be completed with the roll-out 3 weeks from March 5th. He said the dealerships got them via FedEx or UPS. They have all the answers

What number did you call?

I bought my Edge May 2011 and have had non-stop problems with MFT and Sync. I've taken to the dealer twice - would have been more but I've lived with the problems because my dealer won't give me a loaner even though its all under warranty.

The first time they said they installed an "update", the second time they said the system was corrupt - both were temp fixes as the problems came back.

Does anyone know if the update that is due any time now will fix the following issues:

• Steering wheel controls and voice commands don't work or are delayed first five minutes of driving car

• Directions won't download from Sync services - just keeps ringing

• Sync services "voice" is barely audible. Turning up volume doesn't work

• Screen goes black while driving. Sometimes its followed by "scheduled system maintenance", sometimes not.

• Phone doesn't always pair

• Playing music via Bluetooth sometimes shows the song/artist info, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes the track info is stuck.

I'm so fricken' sick of all the problems and the run around from the dealer. The first time I brought it in the service adviser was clueless about the system. I described my long list of problems and he couldn't translate it to the service ticket and had to correct his descriptions. He then made a snarky comment about his fingers hurting from all the typing like it was my fault. The he calls me later to tell me I need to come back with my phone. WTF? Just pair another phone?? Why didn't he mention that to me before I left? They didn't give me a loaner so I had to get a ride back.

I'll NEVER buy another Ford again... this is my first one. I miss my old BMW X3. I paid for all these features and they are pretty useless. Without all the fancy technology, it's just an old crappy Ford!

All of the options you paid for in your ford was still 10-$15,000 cheaper than the X3 that isn't even built by BMW......

All of the options you paid for in your ford was still 10-$15,000 cheaper than the X3 that isn't even built by BMW......

"Isn't even built by BMW"... doesn't make sense but entirely irrelavent. I'm sure the factory workers in the SC plant who built X3's have BMW on their paychecks. As for being cheaper, not quite dear. I bought my BMW certified used and looked brand new. On top of the warranty also came with an excellent maintenance warranty (everything covered including brakes and windshield wipers - only exclusion was tires) and the service was impeccible. Without putting a montary value on all the aggrevation and time I've spent wasted over this Ford even a more expensive X3 is worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to know how we are to send a text message.

The keyboard I had before the update is gone.

I can listen to a text but not reply back.

Also, when I get a call and a person says hello and I say hello back it hangs up.

Sometimes the Ambient lighting circles will not move to make a choice.

I wish I never got the update everything was fine before.

Oh, and I don't like the compass starring me in the face.

Before we could "choose" to have it or not!!!

Is there an online manual somewhere to read what to do now??

Edited by Black Velvet

I have a 2011 edge ltd and the sync packed it in this morning completely screen blank, no camera, radio , phone ......... And on . I have had this car for about a year now and never had the sync work properly. I have it booked into the dealership to get this fixed.

My question is. Is there any hope in getting this issue fixed! Or is this a FORD LEMON

Please help!

I have a 2011 edge ltd and the sync packed it in this morning completely screen blank, no camera, radio , phone ......... And on . I have had this car for about a year now and never had the sync work properly. I have it booked into the dealership to get this fixed.

My question is. Is there any hope in getting this issue fixed! Or is this a FORD LEMON

Please help!

You can call it a lemon if you like.

The whole Ford Touch system is proving to be a big mistake for Ford. I see them working on updates to the software for another year then they will throw it to the curb.

Did you update to the newest version? That will be the first thing you will need to do before they even consider replacing the My Ford Touch computer (APIM).

It has certainly been a fiasco but there is no way they're "kicking it to the curb". They're already working on the next generation using Windows 8.

And I'm sure it will require a new, faster APIM with more memory (it is windoze after all).

Edited by akirby

It has certainly been a fiasco but there is no way they're "kicking it to the curb". They're already working on the next generation using Windows 8.

And I'm sure it will require a new, faster APIM with more memory (it is windoze after all).

I'm not saying there will not be other systems in the future.

I'm just saying that Ford will drop this version and move on to the future.

I was trying out the Chrysler Uconnect system last night. It might be a little uglier than MyFord Touch but it's blazing fast in comparison. The touch screen's responsiveness is much better as there is no need to finger-stab the screen to register a "tap" as is required with MyFord Touch.

It remains to be seen how it holds up over time.

But isn't that to be expected no matter what?

Sure but not until they got it working. Mine still doesn't function anything like what I was sold. Just got the car back from the dealer and they tell me everything is fine because they couldn't replicate the issues. The update has seemed to help stability but there are still so many bugs I can't belive Ford made people wait this long to still have the same problems. When I dropped the car off I was told they are still working on it. I just hope if Ford does revamp the whole thing the parts can be retrofitted for those of use that still can reliably use the system.

It remains to be seen how it holds up over time.

Well at least it worked at some point. I could deal with having to replace a part in a few years to have a functional system.

• Like 1