Engine oil consumption seems excessive

Ctrl-z

So now with 2300 kilometers on my 2011 MKX, I've had to add 2 full liters of 5-20W oil to the 3.7L engine. I can understand that a new engine might use more oil than normal but I've never had to add this much to any other vehicle I've driven. Should I be concerned about this and how much oil would need to be consumed before Ford would consider this to be a warranty problem?

So now with 2300 kilometers on my 2011 MKX, I've had to add 2 full liters of 5-20W oil to the 3.7L engine. I can understand that a new engine might use more oil than normal but I've never had to add this much to any other vehicle I've driven. Should I be concerned about this and how much oil would need to be consumed before Ford would consider this to be a warranty problem?

Using 2 liters between oil changes WOULD not be considered normal.

Better take it in ASAP.

With it leaking/burning oil that fast they wonā€™t have any problem finding/fixing it.

Ā 

I'm surprised you don't have a puddle under it!

Ā 

ab

Using 2 liters between oil changes WOULD not be considered normal.

Better take it in ASAP.

With it leaking/burning oil that fast they wonā€™t have any problem finding/fixing it.

Ā 

I'm surprised you don't have a puddle under it!

Ā 

ab

Ā 

No leaks at all. I think I'd feel better if there were. I don't think the oil was quite full when I got the vehicle so maybe hasn't used 2 full liters but close it. Will add it to the list when I talk to the dealer this week. Thanks for the feedback.

No leaks at all. I think I'd feel better if there were. I don't think the oil was quite full when I got the vehicle so maybe hasn't used 2 full liters but close it. Will add it to the list when I talk to the dealer this week. Thanks for the feedback.

Ā 

Are you absolutely sure the dipstick is accurate? Make sure it's pushed in all the way - if it wasn't that would make it appear low.

Yes I am sure. Though it is indeed possible to not have the dipstick fully inserted but have it feel like it is.

Hereā€™s something else that HAS happened.

Ā 

A friend had his Mazdaā€™s oil changed.

Checked it the next day. NO OIL

Added 2 qtsā€¦ NO OIL

Added 2 more qtsā€¦NO OIL.

Ā 

Panic attack.

Drained 9 qts and changed filter = NO OIL???

Ā 

Back to Hurry Up Oil change store = ā€œOH SO YOUā€™RE THE ONE WE PUT THAT FORD VAN DIP STICK IN, uuhh sorryā€

Ā 

ab

Hereā€™s something else that HAS happened.

Ā 

A friend had his Mazdaā€™s oil changed.

Checked it the next day. NO OIL

Added 2 qtsā€¦ NO OIL

Added 2 more qtsā€¦NO OIL.

Ā 

Panic attack.

Drained 9 qts and changed filter = NO OIL???

Ā 

Back to Hurry Up Oil change store = ā€œOH SO YOUā€™RE THE ONE WE PUT THAT FORD VAN DIP STICK IN, uuhh sorryā€

Ā 

ab

Ā 

Now THAT'S fookin scary!! I never have to worry as I do my own and use Amsoil full synthetic.

Make sure you are checking the oil level with the vehicle on level ground..

Ā 

Umm, thanks but I guess maybe I should point out that I've had a lot of experience in the oil checking department. I have a farm, multiple vehicles and equipment and I know my way around an engine compartment. This is my first encounter with a new engine using anywhere near this amount of oil. I just put another 400 highway kilometers on it but I haven't checked the oil level yet. Could be interesting.

Talked to my dealer today regarding my oil consumption issue and he tells me it's considered normal during the break-in period. It should get better with time. Pretty much exactly what I expected to hear. But I'd recommend keeping an eye on the oil level in your new Edge Sport / MDX.

Talked to my dealer today regarding my oil consumption issue and he tells me it's considered normal during the break-in period. It should get better with time. Pretty much exactly what I expected to hear. But I'd recommend keeping an eye on the oil level in your new Edge Sport / MDX.

Ā 

Its been years since any modern gas engine in an automotive application uses enough oil to require multiple adds in between service intervals on a regular basis, unfortunately dealers are famous for saying such things are normal. This is not normal and you should easily be able to go from oil change to oil change without adding including the break in period and throughout the life of the engine. Fords own literature printed and online says these engines are able to run extended service intervals because modern gas engines have extremely low oil consumption. I would be making some noise.

• Like 1

Its been years since any modern gas engine in an automotive application uses enough oil to require multiple adds in between service intervals on a regular basis, unfortunately dealers are famous for saying such things are normal. This is not normal and you should easily be able to go from oil change to oil change without adding including the break in period and throughout the life of the engine. Fords own literature printed and online says these engines are able to run extended service intervals because modern gas engines have extremely low oil consumption. I would be making some noise.

PLUS 1 on that!

Ā 

Our 08 has NEVER used a drop from day 1.

I checked and changed the oil @3K miles, checked before the dealer did it @ 7K and check before I change it every 5 to 7K since then.

We're at 42000 miles

Ā 

If Ctrl-z's is not leaking but sending the oil out the tail pipe the catalytic converter will DIE pretty soon!

Ā 

ab

Ā 

Thanks. Would you happen to have any links to Ford claiming very low oil consumption? I did find this at http://www.smartsynthetics.com/motor_oil_consumption.htm:

"Ford Motor Company considers consumption as high as one quart of oil per 1,000 miles to be acceptable in a gasoline engine."

Thanks. Would you happen to have any links to Ford claiming very low oil consumption? I did find this at http://www.smartsynthetics.com/motor_oil_consumption.htm:

"Ford Motor Company considers consumption as high as one quart of oil per 1,000 miles to be acceptable in a gasoline engine."

Ā 

That's a very generic CYA answer. It used to be true but not any more, although I doubt you'll find anything official. I haven't heard of any modern Ford engine that required additional oil to be added between scheduled changes. It just doesn't happen. Something is wrong somewhere - hopefully it's the dipstick or something else rather than actual oil consumption.

Ā 

Are you sure your neighbor isn't sneaking over and taking some out when you're not looking?

Mine was a quart low when I got it home and checked it with 120 miles on the odometer. Checked for leaks and oily exhaust and saw nothing. Filled to the full mark and have had no further usage. Apparently it was not filled at the factory or the dipstick is off.

Ā 

2 liter usage is not normal but unless it gets above the liter/ 1600 km mark you may have a hard time getting Ford to do anything. I have not had a new vehicle use oil in the last 20 years or so, used to be considered normal but not anymore.

LOL, my oil is going out with the exhaust. Seems like most everyone thinks there's a real problem here but try telling your service manager that a bunch of people on a couple of Internet forums think that way and see how far that gets you. So I document it with them and keep checking my oil level. Maybe ignore it and wait for a checkoil light. Maybe they installed a too short dipstick and the engine is burning off excess oil to get to a natural level (wouldn't that be neat?). But until my dealer sees it as a problem, I guess there's no problem.

LOL, my oil is going out with the exhaust. Seems like most everyone thinks there's a real problem here but try telling your service manager that a bunch of people on a couple of Internet forums think that way and see how far that gets you. So I document it with them and keep checking my oil level. Maybe ignore it and wait for a checkoil light. Maybe they installed a too short dipstick and the engine is burning off excess oil to get to a natural level (wouldn't that be neat?). But until my dealer sees it as a problem, I guess there's no problem.

Ā 

The obvious answer seems to be take it to a different dealer. I'm guessing there's not another one close to you? Too bad if not.

Ā 

There may be a problem, but before you panic, do a "Break-in Run"--- do 10 full throttle accelerations from a standing start to 50 MPH. Then do 10 more to 60MPH. Now, check your oil and top it off and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Seating rings in some engines can take some time and the above method will definitely help.. I bough an '08 with 16,000 miles on it and the rings had not yet seated fully till I did the "break-in run".

Ā 

Good luck and keep us posted.

There may be a problem, but before you panic, do a "Break-in Run"--- do 10 full throttle accelerations from a standing start to 50 MPH. Then do 10 more to 60MPH. Now, check your oil and top it off and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Seating rings in some engines can take some time and the above method will definitely help.. I bough an '08 with 16,000 miles on it and the rings had not yet seated fully till I did the "break-in run".

Ā 

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ā 

I gotta remember that excuse.

Ā 

"Honey it's ok - I'm just trying to get the rings to seat!"

Try here to start --> http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2011&make=Lincoln&model=MKX Click on intelligent oil life monitor under the technology section and watch a Ford spokesman state that modern engine technology means significantly reduced oil consumption which combined with modern oil additives allows for the extended service intervals. This is now common even in modern diesel engines in commercial applications where going to the service interval without adding is expected. When you think about it in this modern day and age it is nearly imppossible to sell a vehicle that actually requires a person to check the oil between service intervals. Most people will not even know how to open the hood as they never have and the manufacturers know this quite well. This is why service intervals always account for oil consumption as well as oil condition. One of the few exceptions to this is the RX-8 where oil consumption is normal, expected, and checking between intervals required with its rotory engine. I'm not telling you something you don't know when I say this is not normal and there is something up. I would escalate this starting at the dealership (service manager, general manager, owner) and moving on up the line from there. I have owned quite a few cars and nowadays dealers are sensitive to issues being escalated up to a higher level and by that I mean that you can get results by telling "mom" the issues you face and how they are not being addressed at the dealership level.

• Like 1