Headrest Flip Completed

Those headrests were changed specifically to get the 5 star crash rating.

As my brother and his friends work the line - they gave me the info - the original head rest was different but fell short for crash testing.

As I am short - they work perfectly for me.

Edgy,

I guessed the headrests were designed for crash test dummies. I don't see a lot of folks here complaining about them, so I'm going to assume I'm the exception to the normal seat fit. (I'm 6'0").

Believe me, I'm much rather have the headrests as they came out of the factory, but simply can't take my head banging against them as I'm driving. BTW...the headrests on my F-150 are canted forward too...but there's a lot more thickness to the upper 1/3 of the seatback in my truck...I guess that's why they fit just fine).

Edgy,

I guessed the headrests were designed for crash test dummies. I don't see a lot of folks here complaining about them, so I'm going to assume I'm the exception to the normal seat fit. (I'm 6'0").

Believe me, I'm much rather have the headrests as they came out of the factory, but simply can't take my head banging against them as I'm driving. BTW...the headrests on my F-150 are canted forward too...but there's a lot more thickness to the upper 1/3 of the seatback in my truck...I guess that's why they fit just fine).

Are you sure they were properly adjusted?

Are you sure they were properly adjusted?

Believe me, I tried adjusting them up and down....and tried adjusting the seatback position as well. Nothing worked. I sent an email to Ford about this, but will be surprised if I get a reply (I'm sure they get thousands of emails/day).

Being somewhat tall at 6'3" i can say that height doesnt have too much to do with these being annoying or not, its all in how far back you hold your head compared to your shoulders. I dont hold my head really far back when driving, somewhat directly of the top of my sternum and i have to really push it back there to feel the headrest. I will however say they are too short, the top edge of mine when at full extension reaches about the middle of the back of my head when i put it back. That would probably be enough to prevent a huge whiplash on a rear end, but would be uncomfortable were i to hold me head far back.

I do tilt my chair back a little, its not upright, maybe 20 deg off upright or so, just enough to make it comfortable for me and my wife enjoys it the same way.

You say you are 6'3". I am 6'4" 255 lbs. and was wandering just how much room i would have in the Edge. Can you drive comfortably for long periods of time? Just curious, i havent had much time to test drive.

Thanks

I would believe you'd be fit fine in it. I'm 6'3" 280 and have more then plenty of room and movement in there. :yup:

You say you are 6'3". I am 6'4" 255 lbs. and was wandering just how much room i would have in the Edge. Can you drive comfortably for long periods of time? Just curious, i havent had much time to test drive.

Thanks

Its comfortable, tons of headroom and unlike most cars i dont have to have the seat all the way to the back of the rack - which is a nice change! The seats are plenty wide even for my ample 260+ backside ;)

Just an FYI, but the reason the headrests are difficult to remove is to avoid them becoming a projectile during a frontal collision. One of the two headrest guide posts (the two metal rods) is designed with a notch that engages with the headrest guides (the plastic piece) that prevents easy headrest removal. Basically, it's a fail safe from an occupant completely removing a headrest or raising it beyond its intended (safe) range of motion. Only one of these headrest guide posts has this notch, so altering the position of the headrest by rotating it 180 degrees does not guarantee that the headrest will not dislodge during a collision.

For those of you who still would like to remove and reinstall the headrests in a different orientation, you can do so.

To remove the headrests, simply straighten the outermost end of a paperclip, raise the headrest to its uppermost position, insert the paperclip into the small hole on the plastic headrest guide, and press firmly while pulling upwards on the headrest.

Edited by sechmura

For those interested, the headrests are intended as a supplemental restraint, not as a "headrest." What does this mean? Well, the headrest is intended as a safety mechanism to prevent neck and head injuries during a frontal collision. Referring to them as a headrest is an engineering misnomer as they are meant for safety not comfort. So, from an engineering standpoint, they serve to meet federally mandated safety standards. This may not mean a lot to many, but again, modifying their proper orientation by rotating their position does alter their intended function.

Thanks to instructions posted by Saleens7, it took me all of 10 minutes to flip the headrests 180 degrees so they are canted towards the rear instead of the front. My head no longer takes a beating while driving this great new vehicle from Ford.

I can't stand the headrests, it makes it very uncomfortable to drive, just can't get comfortable. Thanks for the switching info, raising them up created a blind spot when reversing. so it's either that or remove them all together.

Thanks to instructions posted by Saleens7, it took me all of 10 minutes to flip the headrests 180 degrees so they are canted towards the rear instead of the front. My head no longer takes a beating while driving this great new vehicle from Ford.
U are welcome MHOsborn. Saleens7

i double the they suck qoute...i am 6'3" and my head gets angled down slghtly...hate these headrests.

For those willing to investigate, you may find that one or more of the headrests from the rest of the Ford vehicle lineup may make a better fit in your Edge. The Escape/Mariner and Mustang have headrests that are similar in size and appearance, so those wont work. The dimensions of the guide posts (metal rods) of the headrests should be at a width that is similar if not identical to one or more other Ford vehicle headrests. Just an idea. For those interested, I can get the dimensions of the current headrests which might help your search.

One thing I don't like about these headrests is that are too tall. They are more Portrait than Landscape in shape. I believe Ford will be offering a DVD Entertainment System in the headrests in the '08. I would guess the headrest would have to be a little wider because the current size wouldn't support even a 7" LCD screen. The new system may be similar to the Ford authorized dealer install system shown below. I'm pretty sure those are diffrerent headrests.

DVD.jpg

Edited by jamers1

This is kinda of odd but I've found the Head-rest PERFECT and I'm 6'1....I can finally relax in the seat and my head is immediately supported by the head-rest and my head doesn't have to 'lean' back to be supported which was always a 'pain in the neck'....It's a refreshing change.......First auto I've owned that is this comfortable.....

• 6 months later...

Well, I'm 4'11" tall and I hate all the newer headrests. I feel like they cause me to keep my head bent forward and hunched over and god forbid I put my hair in a ponytail, then I have to take it down to drive. If I raise the headrest all the way up, I can drive comfortably. If I don't raise the headrest, my neck and shoulders start to hurt.

• Like 1

Believe me, I tried adjusting them up and down....and tried adjusting the seatback position as well. Nothing worked. I sent an email to Ford about this, but will be surprised if I get a reply (I'm sure they get thousands of emails/day).

powerboatr here, i am 6'3" 235 lbs and i find the seats to be extremely comfortable compared to the super duty truck.

i raise the headrest to full extension and tilt the seat back a little and its fantastic.

wife is 5' so we found the extreme adjustableness( new word) of the seats to be a great asset for us to be comfortable

Edited by grandmomx2

• 2 weeks later...

One our first test drive my wife noticed the same problem with the head rest. She gets posture related migraines, so the head rest was a complete deal breaker. We substituted for the Ford Escape head rest. They fit perfectly, and still lock on the guide rail. However, they don't exactly match the interior as they don't have the white stitching.

End result was no head aches, and a clean look, it was definitely they best $180 I have spent in a long time.

--Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny enough, I love the newer headrests on cars. I have no idea how peoples heads hit them, my head ain't small, I'm 5'10" and its still over 3" away or more from my head, its identical to 05+ mustangs. I've worn my helmet at the track with those and never had a problem either??? To me these are the first useable headrests on cars. I don't get how it bothers people. Some people must let their heads flop around like a newborn's or something...