Headrest Flip Completed

The headrest/restraint system is horrible. My head is pushed so far forward that it kinda chokes my neck and is very uncomfortable. I've owned 5 star crash test Fords before and this is by far the worst.

My wife has problems with her hair in a pigtail as there is no relief for tilting it partially backwards. I wonder what criteria had to met on this Ford only, since others are ok?

Exchanging for a different headrest is essential for long trips. I believe someone mentioned comparison of the guide posts to another vehicle? Which ones are interchangeable?

Funny enough, I love the newer headrests on cars. I have no idea how peoples heads hit them, my head ain't small, I'm 5'10" and its still over 3" away or more from my head, ..... I don't get how it bothers people. Some people must let their heads flop around like a newborn's or something...

you know... I gotta agree with this. I was reading this thread before I got my Edge and wondered how it would affect me. well, now I wonder how the hell peoples heads touch the headrest? mine doesn't. I don't have the best posture, but come on, I had to consciously put my head on the headrest to feel it.

"Some people must let their heads flop around like a newborn's or something..." LOL tooo funny! :hysterical2:

• 1 year later...

I am also one that hates the headrests. Can someone please explain how you remove the headrest in orer to flip them?

All the new Ford vehicles have these tilted forward headrests. I have drven several other models and some don't seem to bother me like the ones on my Edge. If they werre jsut tilted back 1-2 inches it owudl make a world of difference.

Has anyone found any other modifications that make these headrest better>

• 7 months later...
Well, I'm 4'11" tall and I hate all the newer headrests. I feel like they cause me to keep my head bent forward and hunched over and god forbid I put my hair in a ponytail, then I have to take it down to drive. If I raise the headrest all the way up, I can drive comfortably. If I don't raise the headrest, my neck and shoulders start to hurt.

I am 5'7" and have the same problem. I like to sit up when I drive, not check out my navel.

IMHO....I think there is a consensus here that the head rests are cantered forward. I don't think anybody is questioning this. Having said this, those of you who'd head does NOT touch the headrest have obviously reclined their seats back far enough to HAVE to hold your head up or you'll be looking out your vista roof should you rest your head. I'm about average size at 5'10" 180lbs and personally felt the same "headrest forward" problem but it's gone away by reclining the seat just enough and adjusting the height of the headrest to find my "comfy spot". Unlike most of you, I like having my head rested while I drive.

IMHO....I think there is a consensus here that the head rests are cantered forward. I don't think anybody is questioning this. Having said this, those of you who'd head does NOT touch the headrest have obviously reclined their seats back far enough to HAVE to hold your head up or you'll be looking out your vista roof should you rest your head. I'm about average size at 5'10" 180lbs and personally felt the same "headrest forward" problem but it's gone away by reclining the seat just enough and adjusting the height of the headrest to find my "comfy spot". Unlike most of you, I like having my head rested while I drive.

I'm just shy of 6', weight approx 195, and think the headrests are fine. Personally, I think the seats overall are comfortable, but the 'seat' part (flat part where you sit) seems to be a bit short...could use another couple of inches to truly be comfortable...at times, I feel like I'm sitting on a 'swing set' seat. Then again, this is my wife's car, and she likes the seats/headrests as they are...she's shorter than me, and thinks the length of the seats, as well as the headrests, are fine. (I drive the Edge maybe once a month or so...not much more than that).

I'm just shy of 6', weight approx 195, and think the headrests are fine. Personally, I think the seats overall are comfortable, but the 'seat' part (flat part where you sit) seems to be a bit short...could use another couple of inches to truly be comfortable...at times, I feel like I'm sitting on a 'swing set' seat. Then again, this is my wife's car, and she likes the seats/headrests as they are...she's shorter than me, and thinks the length of the seats, as well as the headrests, are fine. (I drive the Edge maybe once a month or so...not much more than that).

I felt the same way about the seats being too short. I'm 5'5 but there seems to be plenty of space between the knee and the edge of the seat. I would prefer the cushion to reach my knee. Strange. Find the seats in the MKX to be more comfortable. Edge needs to definitely do some fine tuning in the newer models.

• 4 months later...

My father retired and I've driven Fords most of my life and think they make good cars. I'm looking for an upgrade for my Explorer and so we so we checked out the Edge. Like may other people on here we loved everything about it but the headrests. We were prepared to buy one that day, but my wife in particular, wouldn't even consider it unless there was a way to change out the headrests to something that didn't push your head forward. We tried the Mercury too and it had the same problem. I sure hope Ford get this fixed in 2011. Otherwise, I may have to look for another brand that don't have this problem...

FYI, based on my recent experiences looking at alternate vehicles, Toyota, Honda, Subaru and GM are the same in the models i looked at. The Toyota and GM sales rep were well aware of the issue since both were able to rotate the head rest in a matter of seconds. I ended up buying a 2010 Edge LTD and my seat of the pants feel is that the problem is not as bad as it was in the 2008 LTD with the "upgraded" seat package

• 9 months later...

The headrest/restraint system is horrible. My head is pushed so far forward that it kinda chokes my neck and is very uncomfortable. I've owned 5 star crash test Fords before and this is by far the worst.

My wife has problems with her hair in a pigtail as there is no relief for tilting it partially backwards. I wonder what criteria had to met on this Ford only, since others are ok?

Exchanging for a different headrest is essential for long trips. I believe someone mentioned comparison of the guide posts to another vehicle? Which ones are interchangeable?

We just bought the 2011 Edge...like alot of people love the vehicle....absolutely hate the headrest. I tried adjusting the seat to all different positions but found that I was extremely uncomfortable and my back started to hurt from leaning away from the headrest unsupported by the seat. We turned them around backwards and that has made all the difference. I have very good posture and I don't hunch over I sit straight and like my seat straight. I know alot of younger drivers tilt their seats way back these days and have bad posture and that probably makes the headrest bearable, but that is not the case with me and the headrest in the correct positionare are horrible for me. I to wear my hair up alot and even when I didn't I felt like the headrest was making my head lean forward....BAD DESIGN FORD!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just bought an 08 Edge and had issue with the headrests being to close to my head. A friend and I figured out the perfect fix for it and you can keep your current headrest without turning it around...which by the way I tried...but it just didn't look quite right.

What we ended up doing was so simple it was brilliant...and I have to give my friend the credit. We took off the headrest and put one rod then the other tightly in a vise and just bent the headrest back more in line with the seat about 2". I took a measurement from a point on the work bench to a seam on the headrest and then we bent one rod to that dimension then the other aligning it with the previous rod. Works like a charm!!!! So now I have about 1.5-2" of headroom...so simple and no cost. :victory:

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

my wife does not like the head rests on our 2015 sport(says they push her head forward). I dont have a problem with em...and Im 6'0 290 and my wife is 5'4" and 125.

Try putting the headrest all the way up. If she's short, her head will not hit it (unless she puts it all the way back) and if she's tall, her head will hit the headrest down lower (will not push her head forward as far).

My wife couldn't stand the headrest in mtmy MKX, so I turned hers around. Assuming it's the same as mine (2009 MKX), one side has an adjustment release and the other side has small hole where you insert a small tool (I use a scribe) to release the locking pin. Once released, the headrest will pull all the way off.

If you can't find a small tool to push in the small hole, you can pry out the insert next to the hole and use a small regular screwdriver.