Ford Recalls Edge & MKX for Potential Fire Hazard

Mikerose

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh,

Just received the letter telling me my car may catch fire. The letter says it should take 1/2 day to fix. But later in the letter, if you read between the lines, Ford says they can't really say how long the fix will take.

Plus a second letter saying some software needs changed and requires me to schedule a second appointment at the dealer too.

Owned four Nissans with zero recalls in the last 30 years. Finally went back to an American car company and now 2 recalls in the first month??!!

Not an optimistic relationship,

Amy

Sigh,

Just received the letter telling me my car may catch fire. The letter says it should take 1/2 day to fix. But later in the letter, if you read between the lines, Ford says they can't really say how long the fix will take.

Plus a second letter saying some software needs changed and requires me to schedule a second appointment at the dealer too.

Owned four Nissans with zero recalls in the last 30 years. Finally went back to an American car company and now 2 recalls in the first month??!!

Amy

No, one recall. A supplier screwed up something in their quality and Ford caught it just a few days too late. Nissan probably just doesn't catch this stuff at all.

The fix is just replacing a module, the only question related to time is the part availability. Once they have the part, it will only take 1/2 day to replace.

The software update is just the MrFordTouch update that everyone here has been talking about. Your Nissans never had anything close to this level of software and they certainly never offered anyone free upgrades. It's just like the updates you get for Windows every once in a while.

Nissan figures what you don't know won't hurt you. Ford wants you to enjoy your vehicle to it's fullest potential.

Edited by Waldo

So what was the year of the last Nissan you owned, I bet it had the electronic power of a Calculator compared to cars nowadays?

Sigh,

Amy

Amy,

Do you live in Canada or USA? I'm still waiting for my letter as I'm also affected by the recall but haven't heard anything via letter or phone call from the dealer as of yet? I live in Montreal.

I have not done any upgrades to MyTouch since I owned it and it was built before all the updates have arrived, I hope I get a letter to get the system updated as well..I have a bunch of bugs in it but have yet to bring it in for anything so far.

Tiger - when did you get your Edge? I'm wondering what software you have in it?

Who are they contacting about the software updates? Anyone that they can tell hasn't done the upgrade yet through the data available on the Sync site? I still have the original version, trying to figure out how I can get a recall to have the software updated or "customer Satisfaction Program" #10B20?

Tony

Amy,

Do you live in Canada or USA? I'm still waiting for my letter as I'm also affected by the recall but haven't heard anything via letter or phone call from the dealer as of yet? I live in Montreal.

I have not done any upgrades to MyTouch since I owned it and it was built before all the updates have arrived, I hope I get a letter to get the system updated as well..I have a bunch of bugs in it but have yet to bring it in for anything so far.

Who are they contacting about the software updates? Anyone that they can tell hasn't done the upgrade yet through the data available on the Sync site? I still have the original version, trying to figure out how I can get a recall to have the software updated or "customer Satisfaction Program" #10B20?

Tony

Tony, you don't need a letter from anyone to get the software update. Just take it to your dealer and complain about the bugs. You'll get the same update as the people who get the letter.

Amy,

How do you know you're affected by the recall if you didn't get the letter?

akirby - Actually, I've been following several recall postings on here and did some searching online myself. One of the links I clicked on from this forum had an article with the following info:

In the recall--campaign ID #10V659000--the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says some 14,737 Ford and Lincoln vehicles are affected. The agency reports that, for a six-day period, defective body-control modules were installed in the vehicles, leading to a possible internal short. The electrical short could cause overheating and fire.

The recall begins on January 10. Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332 to find out if their vehicle is affected.

Then, I found a link on line that had this info:

FORD'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 10S14.

I picked up the phone on Jan. 11th since I was waiting for the recall to be in effect and called the Ford contact number above which is their Recall Center, and it was as easy as giving them my VIN. They immediately saw that I was in their system to be part of the recall, they know all the VIN's that need fixing / checking. I asked them how I would be notified to bring my car in and they said there was already a letter written up in their system for me but didn't know what happens next?? They told me that all dealers have been notified of this TSB and that the best thing I should do now is to call the dealer and give them my VIN and they can see it in the system right away, all dealers just need to enter your VIN and they can see if you have any recalls listed for your car as well regardless of what it's for.

They told me to contact me dealer to make an appointment to fix it and that I did not need to get the letter first. This was Jan. 11th and the recall has been announced since December 30th or so.

I picked up the phone, called my service manager, gave him the campaign # and recall number. I told them I had a young baby in the car with me every day, and above that I was scheduled to go on vacation with my car (this week right now). I told him I didn’t feel comfortable going a very far distance with this potential fire hazard and I needed it checked as soon as possible. I made sure he had almost 2 weeks’ notice on the TSB and be up to speed on it (since the TSB was issued around Jan. 1st and I called only Jan. 11 purposely so they could be informed about it).

The jerk off puts me on hold, comes back and says that he hasn't heard of this problem, I asked him if he could look into it and take my VIN and let me know. He pretty much brushed me off and told me to call him back in 2 weeks and hopefully he'll have some news for me then. I was like WTF?

This is why I don't want my car going back to this place, not even for my Gen 2, V2.4, these people could care less about my car and god forbid they mess something up on the update, they will do nothing to get it corrected after that

I just spent around 30 minutes on the phone with another dealer, around 30 minutes from my house and they have done plenty of these recalls already, told me exactly what they need to do to check if it's faulty or not (hook up to Oasis etc....) and could have that done and checked within 30 minutes. After getting off the phone with them, I was completely confident that they knew what was going on, they said they've done plenty up to now so my appointment is now with them at 7am tomorrow morning to get my car checked :)

Only thing is that i may be ok as i may not be. If i need it changed, I didn't get precise info on how long it would take to get the part in or how long i would need to wait to have it fixed and if i needed to leave my car with them or not...this was the only "worry-some" thing i had, how long will i be out of a car.

Word to the wise, don't wait for a letter, pick up the phone and make the phone call just to be sure you are not part of the recall list, you never know if you will get the letter or now.

Tony

P.S.

Update to follow soon for Waldo!

Edited by Dreamss

Waldo - Thanks for the tip.

I actually did that with my original dealer and didn't get to far, that's why I was hoping to get the letter in the mail to go in with some ammo.

If you read the post above this one, while I was on the phone with the service team getting some info for the Body Module fix, I took that opportunity to also mention the issues I’ve been having with the Touch system and that I wanted the latest update applied to my car, Version 2.4.

The service tech actually told me that with my VIN, he could see that in the system that not only was I listed for the Body Module recall, that i was also in their for the My Touch system!! It must be the famous 10B20 recall people are referring to possibly.

He told me we could do the Body Module test and he would update my Sync at the same time. He also told me that they have updated MAAAANY cars so far and they have a lot of experience doing it now. I told him I wanted the latest version installed and someone he spoke to beside him confirmed it was 2.4 so I hope this is exactly what gets put on my car tomorrow.

From my understanding, I’ve read that these updates were taking upwards of 4 - 6 hours to install but he told me it was a 90 minute job, I hope this is accurate and that I'm getting it all. Maybe the 4 - 6 hours was because it wasn't installing properly initially?

I still have the original V1.8 from the manufacturer, I wonder if Gen. 2 V2.4 erases the complete software and reloads from scratch or if it just adds patches and updates to the existing platform?

Only thing I worry about now is hopefully not getting the Lincoln software installed which some people have said to have gotten which installs the Lincoln logo, wrong ambient light matching and 4 corner colors being wrong. If I do get that, I hear that the fix is not hard to obtain and do on our own so fingers are crossed all goes well!!

Tony

Amy,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I live in the U.S., It is a Limited Edition AWD. My Edge was delivered Nov. 12, 2010.

I do not have the letters with me as I write this. I'll get the details and let you know. I can't go to my Dealer until later this week to talk to them in person. They asked me to bring the letters in so they could read them. Sort of thought they may have received a bulletin or something about this, but not sure how a recall is handled. I'll find out in a couple of days when I show them the letters they requested.

I've read else where here at this Forum site, that most software updates must be done by the Dealer. I believe if you have MyTouch with navigation, that the navigation part can be updated when necessary by replacing the memory card with an updated version. But that's mainly for maps, P.O.I.'s etc. not the actual operating system.

I'll scan the letters and try to attach them here so you can read them.

Amy.

If your VIN shows it's eligible for the recall but you have not gotten a letter you need to make sure your address was entered correctly by the selling dealer so that you get future notices. Sounds like your dealer isn't too sharp.

The updates have to be downloaded from Ford so it depends on how the dealer does it and the speed of their internet connection and whether it fails midstream.

Amy,

Tony

Tony,

Attached are the letters I received. 10B20 is for the Software Upgrade. The other is the Defective Module Recall letter.

I just received mine this past Friday Jan. 21, 2011. So it is possible you have not received one yet.

Hope the letters upload & attach. Never did it before.

Amy

I

Tony,

Attached are the letters I received. 10B20 is for the Software Upgrade. The other is the Defective Module Recall letter.

I just received mine this past Friday Jan. 21, 2011. So it is possible you have not received one yet.

Hope the letters upload & attach. Never did it before.

Amy

I

Sorry my first try at attaching didn't work. I think they uploaded this time.

Amy

Ford 10B20.pdf

Ford 10S14.pdf

I have the famous 10S13 Windstar axle recall. I didnt need any letter cause my Van fell in between the dates the recall was given. You can call any dealer and give them your VIN and see if there is a recall and get the work done with out any letter. My van was already sitting at the dealer getting inspected with no letter in hand.

This would be the same info for the Edge, just call Ford with a VIN and you can get it fixed with no recall letter if it has been recalled.

How do you know you're affected by the recall if you didn't get the letter?

Sigh,

Amy

How about a new Toyota if Ford is so BAD: http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1054295_huge-new-toyota-recall-includes-245000-lexus-gs-is-sedans and http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1042089_toyota-and-lexus-recall-everything-you-need-to-know

Edited by curlysir

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...