Consumer Reports Reviews '11 Edge & MKX

Hockey87

As part of an "SUV Roundup" article, both cars are specifically reviewed, as well as Porsche Cayenne, Infinite QX56, Jeep Grand Cheroke, and Chevrolet Tahoe.

As well, there is a specific, separate box dedicated to the "Touch" system ("Ford's Frustrating high-tech controls", p. 51), which is critical of the "confusing" interface, slow and intermittent responsiveness, and longs for a return to the traditional tactile buttons and interface improvements.

On the cars themselves, space, access, handling, fuel economy, and the engine are deemed as definite pluses. But, again, the "Touch" interface "pushed the Edge's (and MKX) overall score too low" for recommendation status.

There is no mention of the Touch's "break-in" problems.

That aside, as one Forum contributor previously commented, I can't help but wonder if the Touch's poor review here is endemic of its newness in that a reviewer, whose first impressions and experience is everything, doesn't allow for a new technology that, once learned and familiar, becomes simple to the user fairly quickly.

As well, it is curious that the 2010 had a very good review (I believe it was "Recommended") and that the other '11 upgrades (e.g. brakes, fuel economy, noise reduction, and increase power) are unfairly and virtually singularly overshadowed by the Touch. Certainly, if you dive into the summary specs' comparison page, the Edge/MKX hold up extremely well, especially once price/value is considered.

Trying not to be biased myself here, but can't help but wonder if this review is biased itself. This from a longtime subscriber and fan of Consumer Reports, but it does remind me of similar myopia when their TV reviews from a few years ago that spoke of the unimportance of resolution, dismissing it to marketing hype, only to be totally ignorant of soon to come digital television.

Edited by Hockey87

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hockey, I think your observations of this review are spot on. Although I did not read it and just read your synopsis, your comments are quite valid. The reviews I had read about the duo before buying mine all talked about the inadequate brakes and engine power. Overlooking these very important factors goes to show that the reviewer was single minded in his focus on the MFT system. I can see blasting it in the one pertinent section but the overall score should be reflective of the whole car.

This article really devastated me. I ordered a new Edge just before the New Year and when I read this was really not a happy camper. I am thinking of cancelling the order. I am concerned about resale and reliability of the new MFT.

I didn't read anything in the article that would make me think twice about ordering one. Just because CR doesn't like it doesn't mean that consumers don't like it. CR thought Toyota's were really safe, too. They're not always right.

The biggest flaw in their argument is that all of the controls you would normally need to use while driving are available via steering wheel controls and/or voice control. You don't HAVE to take your eyes off the road to use it.

IMO, who cares about the CR article.

I've owned my Edge for two weeks. I'm using the voice commands to select radio stations, etc and truthfully thrilled I can keep my hands on the wheel instead of punching buttons. Remember, we're on cutting edge and the futre will only add more useful apps to MFT.

Remember, the Edge is more than just a high-tech control system; it's a great car providing comfortable ride.

My concern is that like it or not. CR recommendations carry a lot of weight and their opinions are important to most. Their words lasts a long time. I know that used car buyers in particular, really hinge their decisions on CR recommendations. Their yearly report books are bible to many. Selling a used vehicle that is "not recommended" takes away not only the value but the ability to sell the vehicle in the future. That is what I am most concerned about.

My concern is that like it or not. CR recommendations carry a lot of weight and their opinions are important to most. Their words lasts a long time. I know that used car buyers in particular, really hinge their decisions on CR recommendations. Their yearly report books are bible to many. Selling a used vehicle that is "not recommended" takes away not only the value but the ability to sell the vehicle in the future. That is what I am most concerned about.

I honestly think CR will rethink this position after the technology has been out for a year or so and shows up in more vehicles. And if consumers want the technology they aren't going to worry about a CR recommendation. Of course it's your money and your decision.

i think CR is too old school for their own good and have an older/conservative following that is fading away. I personally would not consult with this publication for reasons already mentioned... if you want accurate reports,especially concerning tech issues, your better off with CNET and the like who are more in touch with the ever changing auto industry... IMO....

Goatee et al.,

While I am normally a fan of CR, I have learned that they are not holy writ: Look at the 'Toyota' example alluded to by akirby; my initial example of their TV reference that there was a cap on resolution; and we all know about their "Child Seat" debacle. However, if one is absolutely struck on CR, a more detailed look at their comparative analysis holds the Edge is very good stead and does not equate well with the article itself.

That said, if many/most accepted CR at face value, there would never be a sale of non-recommended cars, including but not limited to Porsche's, Rolls Royces, Bentley's, BMW's, GM, Lada's, Batmobiles, etc. Period.

Bottom line: you have to be comfortable with your decision and no one is a better evaulator of that than you, especially for such a large investment. But IMO, if the car gives you confidence, comfort, style, and value for money, stand by your decision. Otherwise, think twice, but don't let buyer's remorse be your guiding light. On the investment side (and we are looking at cars after all, not the classic prototype for good investment), time will tell on the Edge's re-sale value. I wouldn't go with any one article anyway to affect my decision in terms of secondary research, but a composite of credible articles, discounting those poorly or unfairly written (I mean to criticize multiple access/interface points to commands just seems weird and, frankly, stupid), as well as those with a "positive" bias, as well as those who give personal testimony, my own feel, and like you say re-sale value (compare historic values and keep in mind, MFT issues excluded (if repaired), that the 2011 Edge is, in many respects, an improvement over earlier models (particularly on engine, brakes, and road noise, let alone user interface). On MFT, there is an inconsistency: for some, it works flawlessly, for others, it's a living hell, for others still, it is largely repaired with updates. I think whenever you deal with new technology, that is the inherent risk. I am normally a late adopter for this reason, but was persuaded to move forward on this product (and am at peace), that it will be fixed for my production run or, if not, it will be over time.

But that's just me.

Edited by Hockey87

It now appears that what CR reported about MyTouch and the Edge/MKX in general and what was reported by sites like autoguide may be different.

Apparently the "not recommended" rating was also given to 4 other crossovers in the test and they didn't actually mention any safety concern about MyTouch specifically.

If someone has access to the actual CR article please confirm this.

CU did not place the Edge on the "not recommended" list; it just did not recommend the two Ford products tested because of the control issue imposed by the current state of "my touch". Many of the comments posted on this forum blasted the current state of development of my touch. It can be fixed by Ford with continuing updates.

All and all, I found the CU report to be spot on. I even find the manual controls on my 2007 Ford Edge SEL+ to be a bit hard to use without pulling my eyes away from the road. I contrast this with my Chrysler Town & Country Limited where I can control the radio and cruse control at the steering wheel without any need to pull my eyes from the road. It can be done and Ford should do it :stats: .

Edited by Feirstein

CU did not place the Edge on the "not recommended" list; it just did not recommend the two Ford products tested because of the control issue imposed by the current state of "my touch". Many of the comments posted on this forum blasted the current state of development of my touch. It can be fixed by Ford with continuing updates.

All and all, I found the CU report to be spot on. I even find the manual controls on my 2007 Ford Edge SEL+ to be a bit hard to use without pulling my eyes away from the road. I contrast this with my Chrysler Town & Country Limited where I can control the radio and cruse control at the steering wheel without any need to pull my eyes from the road. It can be done and Ford should do it :stats: .

So they refused to put it on the "Recommended" list but did not put it on the "Not Recommended" list? Was it just due to MyTouch or were there other reasons?

Why do you need to pull your eyes off the road with your 2007 Edge to control the radio and cruise control?

My Touch was the reason.

The steering wheel controls on my 2007 Edge are too close together. There is no reason I should have to turn on the cruse control each time I start the vehicle. The buttons are too small. The radio controls do not function in a useful way with the Sirius radio.

On my BMW I can control the dash display with a simple push at the end of my turn signal stalk; switch from outside temp, mpg, etc. Very easy and you keep your eyes on the road. With the Edge you have to look at the center stack to find the info button, etc. I would not say this is a deal breaker at all, just that Ford can do better.

My Touch was the reason.

The steering wheel controls on my 2007 Edge are too close together. There is no reason I should have to turn on the cruse control each time I start the vehicle. The buttons are too small. The radio controls do not function in a useful way with the Sirius radio.

On my BMW I can control the dash display with a simple push at the end of my turn signal stalk; switch from outside temp, mpg, etc. Very easy and you keep your eyes on the road. With the Edge you have to look at the center stack to find the info button, etc. I would not say this is a deal breaker at all, just that Ford can do better.

The steering wheel controls on my 2008 Limited are just fine. I don't like having to turn on the cruise control each time but that's a safety design on purpose and isn't limited to Fords. Do you have Nav with Sirius? With the Nav screen it's exactly the same as controlling radio stations. Not sure what it's like without Nav.

With MFT you get two dash displays that can be changed from the steering wheel controls. How much easier could it be?

I don't have nav. I guess I am spoiled by the steering wheel controls for the cruse and radio on my Town & Country Limited. Much more intutive and you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

I still don't understand why the Edge controls force you to take your eyes off the road.

Hockey, I think your observations of this review are spot on. Although I did not read it and just read your synopsis, your comments are quite valid. The reviews I had read about the duo before buying mine all talked about the inadequate brakes and engine power. Overlooking these very important factors goes to show that the reviewer was single minded in his focus on the MFT system. I can see blasting it in the one pertinent section but the overall score should be reflective of the whole car.

I can see when you first start using MFT that it can be a little intimidating, having driven a Dakota for the last 10 years this was a big learning curve. It has taken me a few days to get use to it. Because of the new tech with MyFord CR testers might not feel comfortable with it. As for the brakes and motor,I really don't know what the big problem is. The Dakota I had was a v-8 and the factory brakes on it were poor at best. The motor performance was way better then both the GM and Dodge crossovers. As I have a Sport Edge it goes like a scolded rabbit.

The only real peave I have had so far is the volumn on Nav is to low and I cannot find out how to increase it, and passenger seat does not go back as far as my wife would like.

I still don't understand why the Edge controls force you to take your eyes off the road.

Perhaps I'm dull witted, but on the Town & Country the radio controls are on the back of the steering wheel, and the controls are large oblong buttons. On the front of the steering wheel are the cruse control buttons, and they are large oblong buttons. On the 2007 edge all the buttons are grouped together on the front of the steering wheel and are quite small. It is not easy for me to find the right button to push to put on the cruse or to raise or lower its speed setting without looking. Larger buttons, different shapes and colors and lights, and some seperation would make life a lot easier for me. Sure there are steering wheels to control the radio station scan, but it does not work for Sirius station scanning. Just a dumb design in my opinion. If Ford gave a dam it would have been properly designed before the 2007's left the design studio.

My friend's BMW 7 series is even worse, he has two PhD's and can't figure out how to control all the settings. Thank goodness he has a 15 year old son who can figure this out for him :hysterical: .

Edited by Feirstein

Have you tried using commands to control voice volume?

When in navigation mode, press on the steering wheel controls.

When prompted, you may say any of the following commands:

• Repeat Instruction • Detour

• Cancel Route • Cancel Next Waypoint

• Show Next Waypoint •Show Destination

• Show Turn List • Show Route

• Show 3D • Where Am I

• Show Map • Show North Up

• Voice Off • Voice On

• Voice Volume Decrease • Voice Volume Increase

• Zoom Out • Zoom In

• Destination • Destination Home

• Destination <nametag> • Destination play nametag

• Destination <POI Category> • Destination POI

• Destination Nearest <POI

Category>

• Destination Street Address

• Destination Favorites • Destination Intersection

• Destination Previous Destination • Destination Nearest POI

Consumer Reports dosnt carry much weight with me. I've seen other products, like cameras, be reviewed by people who dont seem to know anything about photography.

If someone dosnt like MFT, they dont have to use it. There are four ways to control everything. Dash lcd, MFT, console buttons and knobs, or speech. I use a mixture of all four as I learn more speech commands.

It is possible to get an SEL without MFT. I saw one on a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what CR said about the Edge online:

SEL V6

The Edge has good interior space, easy access, and a sprightly engine. For 2011, it received revisions to the suspension, steering, and drivetrain that improved handling and fuel economy. The overall package falls short, though. The controls were significantly worsened by Ford's MyTouch technology, which replaced simple knobs with touch-sensitive buttons that give no tactile feedback and busy touch screens that force you to take your eyes off the road too much. That aggravating design helped push the Edge's overall score too low for us to recommend it.

The Driving Experience

Ride comfort and noise: You can expect a compliant ride on smooth roads, and the highway ride is fairly serene, but bumpy pavement creates pronounced jostling, especially at low speeds. Wind noise intrudes more than we like as well, particularly the noise coming from the panoramic sunroof. The engine can sound coarse under heavy acceleration.

Handling: The freshened Edge has improved agility and feels confident on the road. Turn-in response is quick and body lean is well-controlled. Steering is responsive and well-weighted but feedback falls a bit short. Pushed to its limits at our track, the Edge revealed fairly low cornering limits. It proved predictable and forgiving but ultimately not very quick negotiating our avoidance maneuver.

Powertrain: The 3.5-liter, 285-hp V6 provides lively acceleration and averaged a respectable 18 mpg on regular fuel. It took just 14.7 seconds to haul our 3,500-pound trailer, its maximum capacity, to 60 mph. The top trim, called Sport, has a 305-hp, 3.7-liter V6. Based on our experience with the Lincoln MKX, that engine is more refined and powerful while yielding the same 18-mpg fuel economy.

The six-speed automatic transmission usually operates smoothly but sometimes shifts with a slight jolt and hesitates to downshift. A rocker switch on the shift lever lets you manually override gear selection. We found it a little too easy to slide the shifter past Drive into the manual-shift zone.

Braking: Overall performance was fairly good on dry or wet pavement.

Headlights: Halogen bulbs provide good illumination and intensity but there's a sharp cutoff at the top of the low beam, and the high beams could use more intensity.

Inside The Cabin

Driving position: Good leg and head room and an easily adjusted tilt-and-telescope steering column should allow most drivers to find a convenient driving position, but the wide center console intrudes at knee level, and space for the driver's left foot is a bit skimpy. Wide windshield and roof pillars and a high rear-window sill degrade the view out. The backup camera and convex-mirror insets within the outside mirrors help mitigate those blind spots somewhat.

Seat comfort and access: The wide front seats are well padded but provide scant lateral support and short drivers may find the seat cushion too long. A power lumbar adjustment provides some lower-back support, but not enough for some. Several of our drivers found the head restraint annoyingly close. The rear seats are roomy and fairly comfortable, but the cushion is a little low which reduces thigh support. Three adults can fit with little bother. Wide door openings and flush sills make access easy front and rear.

Controls and gauges: Gauge displays are very bright and clear, as is the touch-screen in the center of the dash. The speedometer is analog; all other instruments are digital. Drivers can choose which ancillary instruments they want to see.

Complications set in quickly, though. Many functions can be activated several different ways, such as by using the central touch screen, touch-sensitive dash buttons, steering-wheel controls, or by voice. None is simple to use. Features within the touch screen are arranged logically enough, but the tight cluster of small on-screen buttons make picking the right one difficult at a glance.

Sometimes the screen ignores touch inputs or reacts slowly. For climate and audio functions there are also dedicated dash buttons, but these tiny, low-mounted, touch-activated buttons are hard to select at a glance and are by turns over-sensitive or non-responsive. At least there is an old-fashioned knob for the radio volume and climate-fan speed.

Redundant accessory controls on the steering wheel operate with two cell-phone-like, five-way toggle buttons. They also take some attention away from driving as you move through menus, almost like using a cell phone does.

If all of the touch controls prove to be too much, you can use the extensive voice command system, so long as barking orders at the radio and heater doesn't embarrass you. Voice command is a boon for complicated operations like iPod or phone control, but overkill for simple adjustments best made with a good old-fashioned knob.

Interior fit and finish: Most interior components fit together well, and the leather upholstery has tasteful contrasting stitching, but cabin appointments are hardly plush. Many plastics are hard to the touch and a few have rough edges, and some of the switchgear looks cheap, as does the cargo cover, a chintzy vinyl drape that doesn't cover the cargo area completely.

Cabin storage and cargo room: Cabin storage is moderate. The glove compartment lacks a light, a cheap omission at this price. Folding the 60/40-split rear seatbacks creates a good-sized cargo hold.

Safety Notes

Safety belts: All seats have lap-and-shoulder belts; the front pair has pretensioners and force limiters.

Air bags: Chest-level side air bags protect front passengers and head-level curtain bags protect all three rows in side impacts and rollovers. Belt use and the driver's seat position influence air-bag deployment force. A sensor for the front passenger seat is designed to turn off the front air bag if it detects a child-sized occupant or if the seat is unoccupied.

Head restraints: Front and rear outboard seats have adjustable, locking head restraints that are tall enough to protect an adult even when lowered. The center-rear restraint is too low to protect an adult and is not adjustable.

Crash-avoidance systems: Antilock brakes and electronic stability control are standard. The ESC system also detects imminent rollovers. Blind-spot detection is optional.

Driving with kids: Rear-facing child seats may be tough to secure in the center rear using belts alone. Rear-facing seats can be secured in any rear seat using LATCH anchors but those anchors are awkward to access. Front-facing seats should prove secure in all rear positions. The rear seatback has three top-tether anchors.

Reliability

We do not have data to predict reliability, this model is new.

Tested model: 2011 SEL 4-door SUV AWD, 3.5-liter V6, 6-speed automatic

Major options:

This road test applies to the current model year of this vehicle.

I watched the Cr's video on the Edge, there response on climate controls that there were too many different ways to control the climate, from the touch buttons below the screen, the center screen, the buttons on the steering wheel to control the climate thru the dash and finally the voice commands, commenting that it was too confusing on which one to use. My feeling is that the driver will choose their favorite and go with it. I think that CR found the my touch confusing, but I think that they just didn't take enough time to understand it. CR did say in their video though that hooking up a mp3 player and controlling it thru voice commands were good.