Consumer Reports Reviews '11 Edge & MKX

Hockey87

I have never seen such a level of frustration among users, part of my job is to test software, every day, I do it for several companies, from cheap $500 software to $300K one user license software, and I have never received a piece of beta software so beta as Sync Touch.

Be honest, of you buy a computer or gadget or GPS with so much trouble? Do you keep it? Or you get your money back next week? This thing is the core of the car, and cause so much distraction to the driver that is actually unsafe. I'm surprised Ford has not recalled it yet.

I think you're overestimating the number of people having issues and the degree of frustration of the average user.

There are a handfull of folks here with serious problems and concerns. There are tens of thousands of happy Edge owners (many here also) with no big issues.

At one point a dealer had sold 200 Edges and only had one complaint.

It's easy to look at an internet forum and assume the worst but the sample size is way too small and way too biased towards reporting problems.

This is Ford's first foray into this type of complicated user interface software. It's obvious they chose a poor platform (flash) and have way too many bugs, but it's a learning curve and it will most certainly get better over time. To put it into perspective - how many other car companies offer software this complicated in a vehicle? It's a lot different than developing a web page.

The fact that it's a software issue is good news since it can be easily fixed. Hardware would be much tougher.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I oh so hope you are wrong about this. Because with the level of expertise I've seen thus far from Ford's software engineers, the odds of ever fixing this mess are very poor indeed. (Could they perhaps be some of the same people responsible for the syncmyride.com website? Because that is probably the worst support websites in terms of design and execution that I have ever encountered.)

Do you mean the same Ford software engineers who designed the engine controls that give you such great performance and fuel economy?

Do you mean the same Ford software engineers who designed the stability control and AWD systems that areamong the best in the business.

Do you mean the same Ford software engineers who designed the auto wiper, adaptive cruise, BLIS and other leading edge technologies?

Actually the truth is none of those things are really done by Ford software engineers. Almost every piece of software in the vehicle, including MyFordTouch, is lead by outside suppliers.

Do you mean the same Ford software engineers who designed the engine controls that give you such great performance and fuel economy?

Do you mean the same Ford software engineers who designed the stability control and AWD systems that areamong the best in the business.

Do you mean the same Ford software engineers who designed the auto wiper, adaptive cruise, BLIS and other leading edge technologies?

Actually the truth is none of those things are really done by Ford software engineers. Almost every piece of software in the vehicle, including MyFordTouch, is lead by outside suppliers.

Really? From the time I first read about the new generation Ford Touch in early 2010, it was described as being done entirely in-house (obviously the underpinnings are a less than current version of Microsoft Windows CE). This was big news because some commentators were surprised that Ford had the expertise to undertake such a major project.

Really? From the time I first read about the new generation Ford Touch in early 2010, it was described as being done entirely in-house (obviously the underpinnings are a less than current version of Microsoft Windows CE). This was big news because some commentators were surprised that Ford had the expertise to undertake such a major project.

Contractors

I really wanted to get the Edge but because of the issues with the mytouch I will hold off until the next model and hope that there might be some fixes either hardware or software or both.

I will just feel better if I wait because to spend over $30,000 and have an issue like this is not right in my opinion (and I know not everyone is having an issue but I am always lucky when it comes to things like this and will get the Edge with problems :)

This is Ford's first foray into this type of complicated user interface software. It's obvious they chose a poor platform (flash) and have way too many bugs, but it's a learning curve and it will most certainly get better over time. To put it into perspective - how many other car companies offer software this complicated in a vehicle? It's a lot different than developing a web page.

The fact that it's a software issue is good news since it can be easily fixed. Hardware would be much tougher.

That learning curve need to be executed privately, closed doors, or with beta testers who didn't paid $45k for a vehicle or who signed up to be a test subject. I didn't buy a product in development. I purchased the top of the line in technology, and I was given something that is very promising, and something I believe can be great, but at this point have way too many problems to be considered ready to be used.

Going back to my original question, what is the hardware? How we know it is really bad coded software only?

I'm not saying I do not trust what has being said here, I'm just a big computer freak that want to know what is behind my Edge Sync Touch.

I got my car back today, dealer told me installed the latest updates, but what is weird that all was exactly as I left it, no data lost, nothing was reset. And there is no new reports on my Sync on the update website, yes I see there was a lot of downloads on the update history, but is like 10 downloads of the same with yesterday date.

Too soon to tell if is fixed, still feel slow

If this is actually runing on Windows, I hope they ditch Flash for good, get good coding people and use a better language or platform for programing. I've seen programs running 10 times faster after ditching Flash.

For example, the animations of the Nav system on the small LCD screen run many times faster than the main screen, I know, it is a smaller screen, but there is no lag at all.

May be this CPU does not have the horse power to render all the Flash graphics?

I only hope to not see the 2012 vehicles coming with much better hardware and software and we the first ones to pay finance the learning curve and investigation to be told we are not eligible for those updates.

From a different forum posted Sept. 2010:

"I worked with Ford on the MyFord system, i.e. so-called upgrade of Sync. Ford decided to build this system themselves and managed the entire software project themselves. It was their first foray in a software project of such magnitude, and I speak from first-hand experience when I say the quality of the software is mediocre at best. The system is rolling out to production now and is still full of bugs. MyFord will have you making repeated trips to the dealership for software updates."

Quite prophetic I'd say.

From a different forum posted Sept. 2010:

"I worked with Ford on the MyFord system, i.e. so-called upgrade of Sync. Ford decided to build this system themselves and managed the entire software project themselves. It was their first foray in a software project of such magnitude, and I speak from first-hand experience when I say the quality of the software is mediocre at best. The system is rolling out to production now and is still full of bugs. MyFord will have you making repeated trips to the dealership for software updates."

Quite prophetic I'd say.

Well, that is what happen when people that make cars start making software :-)