snow/sludge build up

garykuch

I have a 2009 Edge Limited with 20 inch wheels. Every time I drive in snow where the snow is wet and/or sludgy, I apparently get a build up on the rear wheels making the car vibrate pretty violently. It only happens to the rear wheels and usually Ionly feel it after getting on a dry road where I can drive 60 mph or above. Anyone else experience this?

Edited by garykuch

I have a 2009 Edge Limited with 20 inch wheels. Every time I drive in snow where the snow is wet and/or sludgy, I apparently get a build up on the rear wheels making the car vibrate pretty violently. It only happens to the rear wheels and usually Ionly feel it after getting on a dry road where I can drive 60 mph or above. Anyone else experience this?

I have had this with my 2011 with 18's. My 2007 Edge never did this. Strange

I'm getting this too with my 2011 with 20" rims. I'm hoping it's just the snow buildup in the rims (I drove through some thick snow recently) which is causing the tires to be out of balance. Will have to wait till some warmer weather rolls around so I can rinse out the wheel/rim to see if it'll go away. With my previous cars, it seems to do the trick.

I've experienced the shaking on a couple of different cars. Snow packs up in the wheels. You need to remember to clear off the snow from the sides of the car, wheel wells and and wheel openings. Yup, a pain, but no way around it unless we live in places without snow

I have 17" winter tires and do not experience what some of you are. Try smaller tires for winter driving in snow even if you have AWD

• 2 months later...

Okay so it's almost May and the snow has finally stopped falling. But my tires still vibrate horribly. My dealer is good about putting it up on the lift and scrapping the mud and sand caked in there but I got to believe there is abetter solution. I've done the car wash wand inside the wheel, my hand is too fat for the openings to scape the muck.. I love this car but I can't afford to move a non-snow area yet.