transmission thump

:yup:

I HAVE A 2010 EDGE AWD WHEN ITS COLD I DRIVE TO A LIGHT AND STOP SUDDENLY YOU GET A THUMP IN THE TRANSMISSION WHEN STOPPED IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE TAP YOUR REAR BUMPER ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD ANY BODY HAVE THAT PROBLEM ONLY 6500 MILES.

One time last summer while passing someone on a 2 line hwy.

During the down shift it felt like someone rear ended us.

A dozen times in town, usually making a turn from a red light we get a little nudge.

Ā 

We had the dealer check it.

ā€œNo codes/canā€™t reproduce problem.ā€

Ā 

So we bought the extended warranty and told him ā€œitā€™s going to be Fords transmission for 100K :yup: now.ā€

Ā 

ab

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE A 2010 EDGE AWD WHEN ITS COLD I DRIVE TO A LIGHT AND STOP SUDDENLY YOU GET A THUMP IN THE TRANSMISSION WHEN STOPPED IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE TAP YOUR REAR BUMPER ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD ANY BODY HAVE THAT PROBLEM ONLY 6500 MILES.

Ā 

Ā 

As an owner of an 07 Edge with a plethora of PTU issues; it sounds like a prelude to a much bigger transmission failure. Our Edge did several tell-tale things prior to it starting to leak transmission fluid. I'm aware that part of the unsolvable PTU issue is cold weather exposure related; as it appears to affect the inadequate seals causing them to warp/shrink, what have you. Long and short - the flawed design hates cold weather. Havent heard about this as much in the warmer weather states. Given what I know now about this Edge tranny design, I would encourage you to get rid of it, or anticipate headaches to come.

Edited by Northern Lights

• 3 months later...

Ā 

Ā 

It may not be your transmission. It may be your rear axle, as mine was. It first started out feeling as if it were the transmission, but after putting about 10,000 more miles and the rear end began roaring. Come to find out it was the rear wheel bearings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

TSB 11-5-6

Ā 

6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSIONā€”SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMPā€”BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

Ā 

"may have a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feel during a rolling stop 0-8 Km/h (0-5 MPH) followed by a harsh bump or feel like a slip on take-off from a stop followed by a harsh bump"

Ā 

Ā 

I've had this exact event happen on my MKX 3 times and will be asking my dealer about it.

• 3 months later...

Have had a similar problem on our 2011 Edge. Initially, the dealer did a software update which changed the shift responsiveness. That was in March of this year. The problem reoccured last week, but this time when I took it in the service writer produced TSB 11-12-10. The invoice describes replacing two seperator plates and removing a check ball from the transmission, then updating the pcm. My wife drives the car most of the time, and she says it is like the car has had a tune-up. It shifts more responsively, and no bang.

Have had a similar problem on our 2011 Edge. Initially, the dealer did a software update which changed the shift responsiveness. That was in March of this year. The problem reoccured last week, but this time when I took it in the service writer produced TSB 11-12-10. The invoice describes replacing two seperator plates and removing a check ball from the transmission, then updating the pcm. My wife drives the car most of the time, and she says it is like the car has had a tune-up. It shifts more responsively, and no bang.

I had this TSB done a couple of months ago and it seems to have fixed the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if my problem is related, or if anyone is experiencing the same issues, but my car's transmission thumps when i'm shifting back up from a downshift. when it downshifts from the 2nd to 1st gear, then i speed back up. Once it shifts back to 2nd, it thumps. Any thoughts or similar issues?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ā 

I just had this problem resolved, but it was by accident more than anything else. With the help of Pete K. here on this forum site, I had an emissions problem solved. There is a TSB for emissions problems that lead to my ignition coils almost completely metling. The original PCM (power control module) went out and caused my car to misfire. After taking it to a local Ford dealer, the problem was diagnosed and with the 8yr/ 80,000 mile emissions warranty, the problem was resolved. I had my (6) coils, (6) plugs and PCM replaced. But the PCM also controls the transfer sensor to the transmission, causing the "thumping" sound of the tranny. This had occured for the past year..so my thinking is that the PCM was already failing and when it finally did, not only was it effecting my transmission sensor, it caused the meltdown of the coils. I would suggest having the PCM replaced at the cost of the dealership before you get stranded or the emissions warranty expires. Please see my posts and/or the posts of Pete K. to get a copy of the TSB to take into your local Ford dealer. I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that have experienced the sensation of being "rear-ended" when accelerating from a dead stop, almost every time I drove my Edge. And after several complaints to the dealership, and of course they could never recreate the problem I walked in with the two TSB's mentioned earlier in this forum. They new guy at the counter took me seriously this time. He took the car for several days and test drove my car hoping to recreate this sensation. He said he kinda felt the "rear ended" feeling. He looked on line and found another TSB (TSB 11-12-10) through Oasis, where they replaced the separator plates and reprogrammed the PCM. Problem solved. I have driven my Ford Edge AWD for over a month now and had no incidents.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having this same issue sporadically (at low speed/stop and go traffic...step on throttle to accelerate and car jerks hard like I was just rear ended). At first, the dealer explained that the vehicle was still learning how I drive and to give it some time (car purchased March 2011 - Edge SEL AWD). in the past year or so, i can count on one hand how many times this occured so I learned to live with it (keeping some space between me and the car ahead of me just in case). Unfortunately, just this past week the issue occured 7 times. So, worried, I looked on line and on the forum to see if anyone else had the same issue. Seeing the issue more common than I thought and with the TSB describing the issue and the solution to it, I scheduled an appointment with my local Ford service department. I brought a copy of the TSB with me and also explained in detail my issue on the dealer's on line appointment maker. It was nice to arrive this mornng seeing my name and vehicle listed on the appointment board. Of course, when it was my turn to check in with the service manager, she has no clue who I am or why I am there and seemingly no record or copy of the appointment I wrote up on line (which is kind of funny because I was texted at least 5 times over the weekend reminding me of my appt with a summary of my service request). So, I re-explained the issue in person and put a copy of the TSB on the service manager's desk. She started to go into "what other service can I sell you mode". I would have none of it..let's just get past this car jerking violently on the road thing before I decide to pay for additional high margin services that we all know we do not need (like emergency brake service every 5000 miles - 100 bucks - yea right). Anyway, she did not give the TSB a second thought and even said she did not need a copy since the technician, if they can duplicate the issue will pull codes/call Ford tech line etc. Then she says " you are aware that these cars have electronic transmissions, aren't you? This just occurs all the time and you just have to live with it". She goes on to state, I just got a 2011 Explorer myself and this happens all the time..I just adjust my driving around it. "Does'nt that worry you?" I ask (as I notice the nice picture of her young kids which brings to mind my own children), what if the car does that while moving through an intersection or at speed on the highway? I was really tempted to just ask for my keys back..but hec, since I just had my 1996 Jeep GCL serviced and available (as always - 138K miles no major issues/just regular maintenance) and since I had the time scheduled, I left my Edge there. So now, only time and the rest of the day will tell if this Ford service department does the right thing which in their case could be me picking up my Edge later today with the infamous "needed your car for the entire day to say - ISSUE CAN NOT BE DUPLICATED - go fish and pay me a diagnostic fee". I hope they do the right thing and take this TSB seriously and solve the problem once and for all. I switched back to an American car as my primary (former many years with Nissan) because of the great press Ford was getting with all its new innovation and re-birth. I can, at least for the moment, say that I miss my local Nissan service guys! They always took me seriously, accepted my 2 cents, went over and above, and if I walked in with a TSB they at least stapled it to the work order so that the tech could have it even if just for reference. I hope to re-build this type of relationship with Ford ...

Edited by Rcc313
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just had this "thump" hell more like tranny broke sound/pause come out of my 2011 Limted AWD, 1/11 build date. Took TSB's mentioned here with me and mine didn't fit the description. I was coming out of a overpass 20-30 mph (not the 0-5 mph mentioned in TSB). So for that reason, told to just see if it happens again, and again. Then dealer would put black box on. I hope it's not broken or weekned something already. I've just had this Edge 8 days. Rig has 12,800 on it is all.

Any thoughts?????

My 2011 Edge with AWD has always had a harsh shift in the lower gears, which I attributed to the towing package and the dealer agreed when I brought it up. Recently there has been intermittent, but recurring harsh thunks when shifting at the lower gears. My wife was frantic after it happened to her several times during one drive session. I brought it to the dealer service and the work receipt says the repair work was related to TSB 11-12-10. I did give him TSB 11-5-6 when dropping off the car, but the service manager wouldn't take the TSB saying that it wasn't official. Well, service did not fix the problem, which happened again several times driving home from the dealer. How they miss this during a post service test drive is beyond me because the clunking is regular and very pronounced now. Today, I was told that until they can regularly reproduce the problem it can't be fixed and apparently when there's no codes, there's nothing wrong with the car. Fair enough, but I don't want to be stranded either, or as the old saying goes "Found On the Road Dead". It was also recommended to try changing my driving habits. I asked in what way and was told to adjust my speed when accelerating from a stop, either slower or faster, so that the problem doesn't happen as much. I told him that this problem occurs with both my wife or myself normal conservative driving habits and that it shouldn't happen at all.

Ā 

I would leave the car with the service manager to drive overnight if it wasn't my only vehicle because they don't provide loaners. I could spring for a rental so that someone from the dealer can drive the car until they can identify the problem. I thought about telling the dealer that I'm going to park my Edge in front of his building with a big sign saying "Get paid for a test drive" and then record how the people react when the problem happens. Maybe even upload the video to YouTube? I'm rambling again out of frustration. It's good to know that I'm not the only one having problems with my Ford Edge and this forum is a great way to share information. Hopefully the car doesn't break down before it can be serviced again next week.

• 1 year later...

Wow! This problem has happened at least 6-10 times since we owned our used 2010 Edge Limited for a little over a year. It's really frightening to hear and feel this abrupt and powerful THUMP. We traded in a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited with 148,000 miles since it was starting to have issues we didn't want to finance. We may have been better off keeping it! I thoroughly researched the 2010 Edge for any known issues and was sure this was an excellent purchase. I really enjoy this vehicle and find it excellent in most ways but this issue is so unsettling and has been happening more frequently and much more noticeable. I will be making an appointment next week for an oil change, tire rotation and more importantly this issue. I can only hope that the dealer from whom we purchased this takes me seriously after I share all of the above information and TSB. There is nothing normal or safe about this. It's not something for which I need to change my driving habits. This is a problem that Ford needs to acknowledge and perhaps consider a recall if it's happening with newer models. Any new information about this would be helpful.

Edited by dolphinsc66

• 2 months later...

I had this thunk myself coming toa rolling stop and go. It thump hard. I have 2011 edge se. How cani find out ifi fall in this category for the tbs?

Have no idea about your question, 2011edgese. I still have to get my Edge into the shop to have them take a look at it but I'm afraid it's going to be a long battle and since it doesn't happen all the time, they won't be able to figure it out.

Had the TSB performed on our Edge a while back and behavior is back, not sure if anyone else is in the same boat. Actually wonder if it was even done correctly in the first place. At the same time they performed fix for ticking on start up and forgot to put the hood switch back. Then tried to convince me I never had one and it wasn't related to remote start no longer working. So needless to say I think they do shoddy work and haven't gone back there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, wlepse, where was the switch installed? I was looking for one as I have the remote start, it wasn't in the glove box with the stickers that are supposed to be installed in the engine bay. My son's Acura has it built-in to the hood latch. Ya know, if you set your remote to unlock all doors with one press, the remote start won't work if you have the audiovox remote start? (Unless you have a dedicated button or remote for it)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, wlepse, where was the switch installed? I was looking for one as I have the remote start, it wasn't in the glove box with the stickers that are supposed to be installed in the engine bay. My son's Acura has it built-in to the hood latch. Ya know, if you set your remote to unlock all doors with one press, the remote start won't work if you have the audiovox remote start? (Unless you have a dedicated button or remote for it)

I think the switch was on the left side of center; it is black about 1 1/4" in diameter and sticks up about an inch. Here is a link to a line drawing: http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2014-Ford-Edge-Remote-Start-Hood-Switch-Kit-p/bt4z-19g366-a.htm the wavy bit is what sticks up.