Changing Battery in Keyless Remote fob

Hi,

Is it wise to change the battery in the Keyless Remote say every 4-6 months?

Seems like it would be better to do this periodically, then to wait for the "dark stormy night - 100 miles from home" theme when things like this usually wait to fail.

Also... Say if the remote would die and you used the little key built-in to the remote to get inside the car. Can you still start the car by pushing the start button on the dash even with a dead keyless remote? Or does the little key just get you inside?

It is sort of a gray area in the manual about this or else I missed it.

I have a 2011 Limited AWD.

Thanx in advance,

Amy

Hi,

Seems like it would be better to do this periodically, then to wait for the "dark stormy night - 100 miles from home" theme when things like this usually wait to fail.

Also... Say if the remote would die and you used the little key built-in to the remote to get inside the car. Can you still start the car by pushing the start button on the dash even with a dead keyless remote? Or does the little key just get you inside?

Thanx in advance,

Amy

This is all covered in the manual. There is a procedure where you place the fob in a special slot next to the receiver and that allows the vehicle to start normally. I think it's in or near the center console.

This is all covered in the manual. There is a procedure where you place the fob in a special slot next to the receiver and that allows the vehicle to start normally. I think it's in or near the center console.

The slot is in the center console, it's just a small hole under the USB/AV inputs. You place the entire FOB inside the "hole" and then you should be able to start the car, as per normal.

M.

Hi,

Thanx in advance,

Amy

Hi Amy. :D As akirby and mv-clear stated, Ford has taken care of the "what if the remote does not work...?" contingencies with the keyfob slot in the console. And the instructions are located in the Owners Manual. Check the Index, as it is a large Manual and can be easy to overlook.

Concerning replacing the batteries in the remotes, this would be my opinion: If it will help you sleep easier at night, you could do a little preventive maintenance and replace them every three or four years if you like. Any more often than that (i.e. every 4-6 months) would just be a waste of your hard earned money. I have never had a battery go dead in any keylob in many years of driving (the last 24 years or so with remote keyfobs).

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Bbf, They had keyless entry in 1986 ? I guess you do learn something new everyday !

I see now that it was invented in 1983. Thanks bbf.....Learning is fun !

Hi ThinLine. :D Hey, thanks to you I also just learned something new. :grouphug:

I did not know when keyless entry was first introduced. All I knew for sure was that the first time I had keyless entry in one of my new cars, it was a 1987 model.

Good luck. :beerchug:

BTW, the battery's a CR-2032. Yes, its in the manual, but try finding it! I searched the PDF. I've never repalced a battery in any of my key fobs, but just in case I picked up a spare battery.

Thanx everyone who replied. Found the paragraph in the manual on how to start car by sticking the keyless fob in the console.

Might keep a spare CR-2032 in the glove box myself.

Amy

Thanx everyone who replied. Found the paragraph in the manual on how to start car by sticking the keyless fob in the console.

Might keep a spare CR-2032 in the glove box myself.

Amy

I had to replace the batt for my old Mazda after only 2.5 years. It still worked, but it was definitely on its way out. If I locked, unlocked went to relock, I had to wait 10 sec or so as the batt was getting drained. (You know the "dam I forgot something in the car") remote sequence. As already mentioned though, were covered for it. As in my case, you'll generally have a heads up that its on it way out anyway. Lithium coin cells have a fairly good shelf life though, so you're not hurting anything by having a spare around.

• 3 years later...

The key fob battery is to unlock the power doors and not to start the vehicle. I have an issue that changing the battery hasn't solved. Our 07' Edge wasn't unlocking so I replaced the battery with a brand new one. That hasn't helped unlocking or locking the car, but the key works fine starting the vehicle and manually unlocking. Ironically, there seems to be no corrosion inside the key fob where the battery goes, so I'm at a loss. I would think that the key would totally work or totally fail. What gives?

I had to replace the batt for my old Mazda after only 2.5 years. It still worked, but it was definitely on its way out. If I locked, unlocked went to relock, I had to wait 10 sec or so as the batt was getting drained. (You know the "dam I forgot something in the car") remote sequence. As already mentioned though, were covered for it. As in my case, you'll generally have a heads up that its on it way out anyway. Lithium coin cells have a fairly good shelf life though, so you're not hurting anything by having a spare around.

Not only a good shelf life, but how often does a watch-type battery wear out? I just replaced the batteries in both our key fobs for the first time. Luckily, I bought a two pack and what is the chance of both going simultaneously? I hardly drive the vehicle since it is the wife's. Another reason why it is shocking that the new battery worked in her key fob but not mine.