WiFi Hotspot and Internet Tethering

My wife and I just purchased a 2011 SEL with MFT, Nav, and Vista Roof over President's weekend. So far we love the car, even though I swore I would never drive a Ford :) The more time I spend going through the menu's the more I find it can do, pretty good for a car under 40G.

So my question is, has anyone successfully created a usable WiFi hotspot for use by passengers in the car while driving?

I have been able to custom name the wireless signal being broadcast from the Edge (Pretty cool it has built in WiFi module!) and set a WPA2 password and even connect with a laptop and my iPad. The problem I am having is with getting a usable internet signal to share. I have tried tethering my iPhone 4 via USB cable and via BT. I have gone through the settings and selected PAN and some other settings I am not 100% familiar with but nothing. I have an app for jailbroken iPhones called MyWi that I am using for the tethering and I know that when I connect the phone to a computer it has to install a driver to work, which may be the reason why MFT and the Edge isn't working (no driver to install).

Has anyone had success getting an internet connection from any phone via BT or USB connection? It would be awesome to be cruising the highway with everyone online using my outdated unlimited iPhone data plan :)

Thanks for any ideas.

• 2 months later...

I've tried to do it with my Android as well. Trying it as an RNDIS USB modem does not work. I think that it is certainly possible, but something has to happen on the MFT side to allow it. I think we are all waiting for a big update that will include this function. Hopefully they will open it up and allow tethering from smartphones.

I've tried to do it with my Android as well. Trying it as an RNDIS USB modem does not work. I think that it is certainly possible, but something has to happen on the MFT side to allow it. I think we are all waiting for a big update that will include this function. Hopefully they will open it up and allow tethering from smartphones.

I've also tried with my Droid (origional) with USB tethering turned on- no go there, MFT says its an unsupported device. I'd love to get it to work- it would be a fantastic feature to have up and running.

• 3 years later...

My wife and I just purchased a 2011 SEL with MFT, Nav, and Vista Roof over President's weekend. So far we love the car, even though I swore I would never drive a Ford smile.gif The more time I spend going through the menu's the more I find it can do, pretty good for a car under 40G.

So my question is, has anyone successfully created a usable WiFi hotspot for use by passengers in the car while driving?

I have been able to custom name the wireless signal being broadcast from the Edge (Pretty cool it has built in WiFi module!) and set a WPA2 password and even connect with a laptop and my iPad. The problem I am having is with getting a usable internet signal to share. I have tried tethering my iPhone 4 via USB cable and via BT. I have gone through the settings and selected PAN and some other settings I am not 100% familiar with but nothing. I have an app for jailbroken iPhones called MyWi that I am using for the tethering and I know that when I connect the phone to a computer it has to install a driver to work, which may be the reason why MFT and the Edge isn't working (no driver to install).

Has anyone had success getting an internet connection from any phone via BT or USB connection? It would be awesome to be cruising the highway with everyone online using my outdated unlimited iPhone data plan smile.gif

Thanks for any ideas.