Keyless Entry Keypad System - Purpose?

It's might a silly question. But what shall I use that keypad for?

I've a keyless entry function with the carkeys already which is way easier than my mobile ATM on the side.

I mean yes I can open the car with the code - but thats it. Not drive away of course.

After thinking about I only found one surplus: You don't trust your partner but want her/him nevertheless to clean the inside of your Edge :)

…Or am I missing a great gadget here?

so do you use it? what's the benefit? (Assuming you have keyless entry system with your keys already)

The benefit is that you can take your keys and hide them inside and lock the doors so when you are out and about you wont loose your keys or have to worry about keeping them in your pocket. It is also good for when somebody rides with you they can get it with out you giving them the keys.

The benefit is that you can take your keys and hide them inside and lock the doors so when you are out and about you wont loose your keys or have to worry about keeping them in your pocket. It is also good for when somebody rides with you they can get it with out you giving them the keys.

Exactly. When you're doing activities and you don't want the keys in your pocket - just lock them in the vehicle.

You never have to worry about locking your keys in the car.

You can leave the keys locked in the car and let someone else retrieve it just by giving them the code.

Kids (or anyone else) can get stuff out of a locked vehicle without needing the keys.

It can also be used to lock all the doors (pressing the last two buttons at the same time) or on some vehicles to open the trunk/hatch.

You can leave the car running but locked.

It's one of those things where if you've never had it you don't miss it but once you've had it you'll never want a car without it again.

ok. thanx for your replies. so it is basically a nice gimmick as I thought

My Edge opens/closes the door when I touch the door handle with the keys close (in my pocket normally)....so I wonder if it wouldn't open as well when the keys are in the car and someone does that....

I think I'll simply try it out tomorrow...I've my Edge just for a few days and still not familiar with all it's possibilities...

ok. thanx for your replies. so it is basically a nice gimmick as I thought

My Edge opens/closes the door when I touch the door handle with the keys close (in my pocket normally)....so I wonder if it wouldn't open as well when the keys are in the car and someone does that....

I think I'll simply try it out tomorrow...I've my Edge just for a few days and still not familiar with all it's possibilities...

A nice gimmick? Not sure where you get that description. It's a useful feature, not a gimmick. I use mine at least once a week.

With Intelligent Access you can use it to lock the IA fob in the vehicle. It disables the IA fob until you use the keypad again to unlock the vehicle. This allows you to lock the IA fob in the vehicle with no risk of someone smashing the window and driving off. No other IA vehicle mfrs offer this feature because they don't use keypads.

I do a lot of kayaking. I can leave the keys in the car, go out on the water and open the car with the keypad. I don't need to worry about carrying small drybags with my keys risking a punctured drybag. I know someone wil ask, why not just put the keys in a hatch? Good question! Last year I capsized in a channel heading out into the Atlantic. If I became separated from my boat I'd lose my keys and effectively my live jacket. The boat's our real life jacket not just the PFD we wear. People can see a boat from a distance.

Once you start using the keypad you'll wonder why didn't I get a car in the past with one?

• 3 weeks later...

Came in very handy the other day at the car wash,when the keys were locked in the car,Marty

I got a funny story:

Last night picked up my 11 Edge Limited. Drove across the street to park at the In-N-Out, used the keypad to lock the doors.....

Then realized I left the keys in the car :banghead:

Also didn't know the code exactly as I just got the card 10 minutes before that. Luckily the sales people were just about to leave the dealership. I caught them in the parking lot and they went back in and retrieved my code that was luckily written on my invoice.

I'm really glad I made that mistake EARLY (understatement :lol:) and will NEVER do that again since I have the code ingrained in my membrane now.

I do LOVE the feature and have always wanted it (never owned a FLM)

Edited by cal3thousand

I've accidentally locked the keys in the car when cleaning it, so the keypad came in handy (did this screw up MANY times, and the wife wasn't home with her set of keys). Also good if you're out at a ball game or the like, and she wants to get something out of the car, she doesn't have to bother me for the keys if she left hers home. :shades:

Edited by JOEHIO

I use this feature at least once a day. If I'm running into the driveway to retrieve something from my car, I don't need to find my IAKey first. Also when Im at work, I can access my cars interior without carrying around my key. If my wife wants to access my vehicle, she doesnt need me or my key. I love this feature, and on my wifes new Explorer, it hides away in the rear of the front door pillar, unseen until you need it.

With the IA Key, i find it a bit redundant; however, it is handy when the IA key is in the house and I need access to the interior. Of note, theives have figured out how to quickly pop open the keyless entry pad on the F-150 and open the doors...I'm hoping it's not as easy on the Edge...but I guess if they want in badley enough, they will find a way. I've tried, but don't think you can open the hatch on my '11 Edge with the Keyless entry pad - only lock/unlock the doors......

• 4 months later...

I love this, I lock my keys in my taurus when I go to work and just punch the code and walla.... Only down fall sorry to say this wife has a highlander (BOOOOOOOOO) LOL I almost locked the keys in it. Habit....Talked some sence in the woman and I am getting her the edge. Toyota was before me. LOL :banghead:

• Like 1

Just used this feature at Disneyland. Hid my keys in the car.

I've lost my keys on a ride there before (my volvo), and I will tell you it is NO fun to get back to your car from Disneyland and not have your keys.

I hear you, not much fun when it happens at Six Flags either... I love the keypad!

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice for paddleboarding where you dont need to carry your keys in a dry bag in board shorts. A;so very handy when tailgating as the first drunk person back to the truck after the game can unlock the car and start the grill again. The sober driver is usually the last one to show up.

That's a good use! I have 3 codes programmed for such occasions.

1) Perm code, only I know this one.

2) Family code, one that everyone can remember in our Family.

3) Friends code, this one is trashable and usually recycled if I give it out to anyone else.

Another good use for the pad, is when you walk by your car on the way back from the trash without your keys. Saves a walk back into the house to look for / grab them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just like the original poster on the whole key pad thing. However, being one of those dsitracted people that have locked my keys in my previous car without this keypad feature, I can tell you this would have saved me several hundred dollars and countless hours of frustration trying to get in my car after locking my keys in it! Not having to keep my keys (I have allot of keys on one ring) in my pocket while at the car wash or while out an about it very helpful. I am learning to really like this feature.