Do the Brakes Make Noise When Worn Out?

When the pads are worn down far enough, you can get rivets or metal backing plate contacting the rotor. Don't go too lomg or you will grove the rotor, necessating turning or rotor replacement. (significantly increasing the cost of repair)

Some brake pads have a soft metal layer that alerts the driver that it is time to replace the pads - don't know if ours do, however. I would remove the wheel and feel for groves in the rotor and look at the thickness of the remaining material on the pad.

Edited by Grey

There are metal wear warning devices that will make a squealing sound when the pads wear down to where they should be replaced. They will make noise till you step on the brake pedal. When you hear that sound, it's time to replace the pads. The noise you hear will not damage the rotors because ti is just a small piece of metal that contacts the rotor. There is enough pad material left at this point to go several thousand miles more, but only if you can stand the squealing noise! :redcard:

That is my question. Do the OEM pads had a worning device?

I don't believe Ford has used those warning devices in their OEM pads in quite some time - but I could be wrong.

Easy way to find out - pull the wheel and check it!

Edited by akirby

I don't believe Ford has used those warning devices in their OEM pads in quite some time - but I could be wrong.

Easy way to find out - pull the wheel and check it!

I just did that and have confirmed that they do have a built in clip on the pads that serve as a warning device. I plan on changing them out in the next few days.

Any metal rubbing on the rotors will start some damage, I have personally replaced rotors because of this issue on cars.

There are metal wear warning devices that will make a squealing sound when the pads wear down to where they should be replaced. They will make noise till you step on the brake pedal. When you hear that sound, it's time to replace the pads. The noise you hear will not damage the rotors because ti is just a small piece of metal that contacts the rotor. There is enough pad material left at this point to go several thousand miles more, but only if you can stand the squealing noise! :redcard:

Any metal rubbing on the rotors will start some damage, I have personally replaced rotors because of this issue on cars.

It's such a small contact on the rotor that makes the sound that it makes no difference in the rotor wear pattern--- However, everyone is entitled to waste their money in anyway they wish!

Well when that small metal contact on the rotor helps wear a deep groove to the point where it can not be cut anymore the money that was wasted was by not doing the brakes as soon as the noise was heard.

The wear indicator is an early warning sign of wore out pads so you dont go metal to metal when the pad material is gone. As we all know metal to metal will wear out the rotor and that wear indicator is made out of metal, some is thicker and some is thinner.

Now when you get down far enough to have the wear indication happen your brakes are now dangerously wore to the point where brake failure can happen due to over heating of the brakes in certain braking conditions.... Example going down a steep long hill can cause brake overheating and then brake fade due to wore out pads.

It all really depends on the type of brake wear clips, some do no damage and some will cut groves if left too long.It really depends on the brake manufacturer and how cheap the pads installed were.

I have been doing brakes for 23 years and have professionally cut rotors at my jobs so I have seen the damage brake wear clips can and can not do.

Now this is also a big reason why they have faded out riveted pads cause when a rivet breaks it damages the rotor. By chemically bonding the pad to the metal you eliminate the rivets that can break and cut grooves in the rotor. Worst thing that can happen is a chunk can break off to poor bonding or damage by debris hitting the rotor/pad surface connection, I have seen this damage too where the pad had a chunk chipped off or broke off completely, it is rare but does happen as anything can happen even a wear indicator damaging the rotor.

This is one of the worst wear indicators. it can bend and then fold over and cut deep grooves to the point where the rotor is junk.

disc-brake7.jpg

Well when that small metal contact on the rotor helps wear a deep groove to the point where it can not be cut anymore the money that was wasted was by not doing the brakes as soon as the noise was heard.

The wear indicator is an early warning sign of wore out pads so you dont go metal to metal when the pad material is gone. As we all know metal to metal will wear out the rotor and that wear indicator is made out of metal, some is thicker and some is thinner.

Now when you get down far enough to have the wear indication happen your brakes are now dangerously wore to the point where brake failure can happen due to over heating of the brakes in certain braking conditions.... Example going down a steep long hill can cause brake overheating and then brake fade due to wore out pads.

It all really depends on the type of brake wear clips, some do no damage and some will cut groves if left too long.It really depends on the brake manufacturer and how cheap the pads installed were.

I have been doing brakes for 23 years and have professionally cut rotors at my jobs so I have seen the damage brake wear clips can and can not do.

Now this is also a big reason why they have faded out riveted pads cause when a rivet breaks it damages the rotor. By chemically bonding the pad to the metal you eliminate the rivets that can break and cut grooves in the rotor. Worst thing that can happen is a chunk can break off to poor bonding or damage by debris hitting the rotor/pad surface connection, I have seen this damage too where the pad had a chunk chipped off or broke off completely, it is rare but does happen as anything can happen even a wear indicator damaging the rotor.

This is one of the worst wear indicators. it can bend and then fold over and cut deep grooves to the point where the rotor is junk.

disc-brake7.jpg

Hopefully, most folks would be smart enough to investigate a sound such as the one made by wear indicator clips. If they don't, then they have to pay the consequences.

As far as riveted brakes vs bonded--- the pads cool by heat transfer. The glue that bonds the pads is an insulator and slows the cooling process down. Riveted pads cool better-- but, they also will cause more damage id not replaced when worn--so, you have the old proverbial double edged sword--

The old drum type brakes were, and still are, much better when riveted lining is used just because of the better cooling with the riveted stuff. It's much less expensive to bond friction material to the metal than it is to rivet it. Cost is the major factor in the manufacture of auto parts. Makes no difference whether it's for OE or replacement. The glue used now is much better than it was years ago, so it is easier to bond the pads where they hold. I can remember several cases of glue failure where the friction material came loose.

For me, even with the new adhesives, I still prefer riveted material when there is a choice!

As for wear indicator design, there's good and bad, just as there is in everything made. All of it is good for your business!

I spent 35 years in the business --28 of which was spent working for a manufacturer of brake and alignment equipment.