2011 Edge Limited AWD Boom/Rumble

Just got a 2011 Edge Ltd AWD. It replaced a 2008. It is a nicer car with one very troubling noise. When driven at low speed, the slightest pavement irregularity results in a low frequency boom. A kind of rumbling sound. The booming also occurs when stopping on smooth .pavement. It can be heard on the highway but is drowned out by road noise. My wife thinks it is from the gas tank She thinks the gas level affects the volume of sound. The exhaust and suspension mounts all look good. Rapping the gas tanks results in a rattle and sounds somewhat like the boom to anyone in the vehicle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Final Update. 9/9/11 PROBLEM SOLVED!! There was damage to the front muffler ! Probably happened in transit since the noise was there when I took delivery. That also explains why no one else reports the problem. Along the way I learned that the '11 exhaust does have some annoying noise at idle even when undamaged. The dealer tells me that later '11's have a different system. Thanks to all who helped.

Edited by PJFW8

• 2 weeks later...

VERY frustrated! So my dealer removed and reinstalled the fuel tank...all ok. The mechanic found no problem. At my suggestion we drove a similar 2011 AWD Limited. He agreed it was much more quiet than my 2011 AWD Limited. The rumble is similar to the sound of an unloaded trailer or an empty panel van. It is significantly louder than my 2008 Edge, my brother's 2001 FWD Edge and My friend's 2010 Edge AWD Limited. What bugs me is that the low frequency rumble is very annoying. It is also odd that the exhaust also is intermittently louder at idle than the other Edges I mentioned. The dealer said the exhaust checked out . He did notice that my tire pressure was high...40 and 36 psi. lowering pressure reduced the volume but not the frequency of the rumble. The dealer continues to work on the Edge. Any ideas?

Just got a 2011 Edge Ltd AWD. It replaced a 2008. It is a nicer car with one very troubling noise. When driven at low speed, the slightest pavement irregularity results in a low frequency boom. A kind of rumbling sound. The booming also occurs when stopping on smooth .pavement. It can be heard on the highway but is drowned out by road noise. My wife thinks it is from the gas tank She thinks the gas level affects the volume of sound. The exhaust and suspension mounts all look good. Rapping the gas tanks results in a rattle and sounds somewhat like the boom to anyone in the vehicle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

UPDATE After 2 days got the vehicle back... The booming might be worse...like an empty trailer. Sounds like the rear tires are at 50 pounds of pressure. A low frequency rumble or harmonic! The mechanic noticed a similar but quieter noise on a Limited with the 18" wheels (like mine). The same car with 20"s was quiet. I drove them both and agree. I drove a 2010 and 2008 with the 18' tires. Both were quiet. I really regret trading in my '08. other than this noise the car is great. I can't believe no one else has this issue!

UPDATE After 2 days got the vehicle back... The booming might be worse...like an empty trailer. Sounds like the rear tires are at 50 pounds of pressure. A low frequency rumble or harmonic! The mechanic noticed a similar but quieter noise on a Limited with the 18" wheels (like mine). The same car with 20"s was quiet. I drove them both and agree. I drove a 2010 and 2008 with the 18' tires. Both were quiet. I really regret trading in my '08. other than this noise the car is great. I can't believe no one else has this issue!

Have the dealer swap on some dubs from another car and test it out. Also test your 18s on the other car.

Have the dealer swap on some dubs from another car and test it out. Also test your 18s on the other car.

Good idea! When I called the dealer they were very happy to try. The mechanic had suggested this as an option. If the problem is harmonic a different wheel & tire should reduce or eliminate the noise.

Good idea! When I called the dealer they were very happy to try. The mechanic had suggested this as an option. If the problem is harmonic a different wheel & tire should reduce or eliminate the noise.

Did anyone check the spare tire? Loose?

Not sure if I am missing something here-a brand new car and it would need to have different wheels/tires put on to eliminate this loud annoying noise? I re-read the thread to see if aftermarket wheels were put on but not seeing that. Is this an issue with the 2011's at all?

Did anyone check the spare tire? Loose?

Not sure if I am missing something here-a brand new car and it would need to have different wheels/tires put on to eliminate this loud annoying noise? I re-read the thread to see if aftermarket wheels were put on but not seeing that. Is this an issue with the 2011's at all?

Thanks for your suggestions. The dealer carefully checked the exhaust system, removed and rebuilt the gas tank, checked all heat shields, checked interior trim, and inspected wheels and spare. I am surprised that others have not noticed this. The harmonic boom is very grating and loud. I am now sensitized to it. A retired Ford zone official had some good horror stories about harmonic problems...including a Pinto wagon fixed with a ball peen hammer. The car is much louder than my identical 2008 Edge. ALL ideas are welcome!

I had a Blazer ZR2 before my Edge. I got t-boned July 2008. After it was fixed there was this noise-most annoying noise EVER. I took it back to the body shop, couldn't find it. Three car savvy guys could not find it. Replaced the shocks, could not find it. Took it to a repair shop, said it was the ball joints. Knew that was not right. So I kept driving it with the annoying noise. I narrowed it down to the front passenger area. Noise would get worse with speed and bumps. In December that year the fuel pump blew and it went to a shop where they fix my dad's fleet trucks. They fixed it took it for a test drive, called my dad and asked why in the world would I drive it like that. He explained what I said above and the mechanic said 'give me 10 minutes we'll find it' and he did. Hood was not bolted on that side, that was it. Cars have a sick sense of humor. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestions. The dealer carefully checked the exhaust system, removed and rebuilt the gas tank, checked all heat shields, checked interior trim, and inspected wheels and spare. I am surprised that others have not noticed this. The harmonic boom is very grating and loud. I am now sensitized to it. A retired Ford zone official had some good horror stories about harmonic problems...including a Pinto wagon fixed with a ball peen hammer. The car is much louder than my identical 2008 Edge. ALL ideas are welcome!

Update! The dealer swapped 20' wheel/ tires for my 18"s. Sound was 95% gone! Still a slight harmonic rumble that last second before stopping or when placing in park or from park to drive. The "boom" with the 18"s is present on undulating pavement...so its not bumps but change in rate of movement that results in the harmonic rumble or boom. The dealer is reluctant to check the motor mounts...saying there would be other signs of a bad motor mount. Did not remove the subwoofer (to see if it is passively delivering a harmonic}. The dealer wants to try a "force balance" of my tires. The fact that no one else has experience this is not good news in trying to find the cause. I appreciate all suggestions!

Update! The dealer swapped 20' wheel/ tires for my 18"s. Sound was 95% gone! Still a slight harmonic rumble that last second before stopping or when placing in park or from park to drive. The "boom" with the 18"s is present on undulating pavement...so its not bumps but change in rate of movement that results in the harmonic rumble or boom. The dealer is reluctant to check the motor mounts...saying there would be other signs of a bad motor mount. Did not remove the subwoofer (to see if it is passively delivering a harmonic}. The dealer wants to try a "force balance" of my tires. The fact that no one else has experience this is not good news in trying to find the cause. I appreciate all suggestions!

No luck on eliminating what I now know is a harmonic noise. I will not drive the car! My wife is not sensitive to the frequency so she doesn't care. She is disappointed that our '11 Edge is louder than the '08 we traded in. The dealer will be trying again next week. Frankly, I don't want it back. My brother (who is an audiophile) is convinced that the subwoofer is defective and is passively radiating a harmonic. He has a '11 Edge without the subwoofer but with the same tires. His car is much quieter than mine. The dealer did not agree but will pull the sub next week. Help!?

• 2 weeks later...

No luck on eliminating what I now know is a harmonic noise. I will not drive the car! My wife is not sensitive to the frequency so she doesn't care. She is disappointed that our '11 Edge is louder than the '08 we traded in. The dealer will be trying again next week. Frankly, I don't want it back. My brother (who is an audiophile) is convinced that the subwoofer is defective and is passively radiating a harmonic. He has a '11 Edge without the subwoofer but with the same tires. His car is much quieter than mine. The dealer did not agree but will pull the sub next week. Help!?

Final update. Given the lack of response to my post, I assume this is a rare issue. Removing the subwoofer and force balancing the tires did nothing. The dealer swapped the 18" Michelins for 18" Continentals. The tire swap seemed better initially. When the tires warmed up the noise was the same. And there is still a loud booming sound (like a kettle drum) when hitting some bumps. on undulating pavement and at low speed when the engine is at low rpms and the ac kicks in or the shifter is moved in and out of drive. The car goes to the dealer today, I have asked Ford to replace it.. I loved my '08. and my brother's '11. My '11 is loud and irritating. I hate driving it!!

UPDATE!! Tried adding 36 square feet of Dynamat Extreme. The Edge is quieter but the rumble...at idle and over undulating pavement. remains. Curiously, the exhaust note outside of the car is the same frequency. I think there is some large panel which is picking up the sound. My brother's '11 has the same exhaust note but no boom and rumble. The dealer is trying to get a Ford engineer to help. I loved my '08 Edge. The '11 is so loud that I will no longer drive it. If it can't be fixed I'll dump it asap. It's not just the noise but an irritating penetrating boom. For $39.000. it sounds like an empty panel van. 10 days in the shop and no progress. AND YES the Ford mechanic hears it too, ANY HELP! This can't be the only loud Edge!

Edited by PJFW8

• 4 weeks later...

Final update. Given the lack of response to my post, I assume this is a rare issue. Removing the subwoofer and force balancing the tires did nothing. The dealer swapped the 18" Michelins for 18" Continentals. The tire swap seemed better initially. When the tires warmed up the noise was the same. And there is still a loud booming sound (like a kettle drum) when hitting some bumps. on undulating pavement and at low speed when the engine is at low rpms and the ac kicks in or the shifter is moved in and out of drive. The car goes to the dealer today, I have asked Ford to replace it.. I loved my '08. and my brother's '11. My '11 is loud and irritating. I hate driving it!!

UPDATE!! Tried adding 36 square feet of Dynamat Extreme. The Edge is quieter but the rumble...at idle and over undulating pavement. remains. Curiously, the exhaust note outside of the car is the same frequency. I think there is some large panel which is picking up the sound. My brother's '11 has the same exhaust note but no boom and rumble. The dealer is trying to get a Ford engineer to help. I loved my '08 Edge. The '11 is so loud that I will no longer drive it. If it can't be fixed I'll dump it asap. It's not just the noise but an irritating penetrating boom. For $39.000. it sounds like an empty panel van. 10 days in the shop and no progress. AND YES the Ford mechanic hears it too, ANY HELP! This can't be the only loud Edge!

Any help appreciated. My friends won't ride in the car. The rumble is that irritating!

<br>You are 100% right!  Any other Ideas as to the cause?<br>
<br><br>Does this sound occur with the car parked and running?<br><br>I would LOVE to hear some audio or a video if possible.

<div><br></div><div>EDIT: I just re-read the original post and thought of something. When parking my car, I can sometimes hear the gas slosh around in the tank quite a bit. And it does sound like a rumble sometimes depending on how smooth I am with the car. Any abruptness and I can almost feel the momentum of the gas. Maybe something is in contact with the tank, sending the sound to the chassis.</div>

Edited by cal3thousand

Could be a bunch of things, but it sounds like a single build/manufacturing issue, not a design issue. Boom issues can be cause by roof bows not bonded, liftgate fit, ground out subframe mounts or just about any sealer skip/ missing weld in the body.

But based on the conditions you describe, it sure sounds like either a bad motor mount or a ground-out in the exhaust somewhere. Does your dealer know how to neutralize engine mounts?

<br><br>Does this sound occur with the car parked and running?<br><br>I would LOVE to hear some audio or a video if possible.

<div><br></div><div>EDIT: I just re-read the original post and thought of something. When parking my car, I can sometimes hear the gas slosh around in the tank quite a bit. And it does sound like a rumble sometimes depending on how smooth I am with the car. Any abruptness and I can almost feel the momentum of the gas. Maybe something is in contact with the tank, sending the sound to the chassis.</div>

Interesting...my wife hears the sloshing in the tank as you describe it. The dealer did remove, check and re-install the tank, buy maybe there is a ground-out there?

Could be a bunch of things, but it sounds like a single build/manufacturing issue, not a design issue. Boom issues can be cause by roof bows not bonded, liftgate fit, ground out subframe mounts or just about any sealer skip/ missing weld in the body.

But based on the conditions you describe, it sure sounds like either a bad motor mount or a ground-out in the exhaust somewhere. Does your dealer know how to neutralize engine mounts?

Great suggestion! I called my dealer. They will check the motor mount and exhaust on the 25th. I'll post the result. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE... Dealer can not find a problem but acknowledges the noise. I'm going to try another dealer. I did find a way to reduce the noise; that is, put the climate control in recirculate or crack a window. The high pressure caused by the fan definitely hurts the ears and amplifies the rumble. I'll do a separate past on that matter.