Traction Control Light Flashes, Then Stays on?

hunter306

I'm new to the whole TCS and RCS systems in the Edge, but yesterday evening coming home I came around a corner over some rough stuff (roads in Michigan, terrible) and then accellerated down the ramp to merge onto the freeway. I notice the TCS 'Sliding Car' icon is flashing on my dash, stays flashing for maybe 60 seconds, then just stays lit?

What the heck is that all about? Just picked up the car yesterday, so this could be user error..

Long story short, I took the next freeway exit about a mile up, pulled into a gas station, shut off the vehicle. Keyed it back on and started up. No more 'Sliding Car' light...

Anyone know anything? Should I take it back to the dealer? It's only been driven 45 miles since I got it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the whole TCS and RCS systems in the Edge, but yesterday evening coming home I came around a corner over some rough stuff (roads in Michigan, terrible) and then accellerated down the ramp to merge onto the freeway. I notice the TCS 'Sliding Car' icon is flashing on my dash, stays flashing for maybe 60 seconds, then just stays lit?

What the heck is that all about? Just picked up the car yesterday, so this could be user error..

Long story short, I took the next freeway exit about a mile up, pulled into a gas station, shut off the vehicle. Keyed it back on and started up. No more 'Sliding Car' light...

Anyone know anything? Should I take it back to the dealer? It's only been driven 45 miles since I got it.

Hey Hunter: this past week my wife has called me up stating the same issue, the light will flash, I am making plans to take the truck in to see whats wrong, although my question to you would be , Did you ever get this problem fixed and if so what was the problem ???

I had the same exact problem with my car and a new software patch fixed the problem. It was tough convincing the dealer that there was a problem, but once we did, it was an easy fix. The computers are constantly checking themselves and you will notice that while the traction control light will stay on for miles, when you slow down to under 30 MPH or turn the car off, the light will go back off. Even though the light is on, you haven't lost the traction control.

FWIW: I did take it to the dealer, as hopeeholly wrote, they couldn't pull any error codes for a traction control light behavior. Basically, they told me to bring it back in while it was happening (which is highly unlikely)

Since then, it only happened one more time, and just like Hopeeholly wrote as well, if you slow down below 30mph, or turn the car off, the flashing quits.

I do believe it's just a sensor issue, but I'll have to look into this 'Software Patch' that was mentioned.

FWIW: I did take it to the dealer, as hopeeholly wrote, they couldn't pull any error codes for a traction control light behavior. Basically, they told me to bring it back in while it was happening (which is highly unlikely)

Since then, it only happened one more time, and just like Hopeeholly wrote as well, if you slow down below 30mph, or turn the car off, the flashing quits.

I do believe it's just a sensor issue, but I'll have to look into this 'Software Patch' that was mentioned.

In my case, a code came up, and then the dealer and tested the sensors. When they did, the sensors came up functioning properly, in which case they were like nothing is wrong, this is how the system is supposed to work. I took it back again and then the dealer then they loaded some software patch and so far so good. It was a pain to try and get the dealer to believe that there was a problem, at first they pulled the attitude of 'We can't do anything unless you bring it in and its happening'. After persistence the dealer finally believed me and they fixed the issue. It did take three trips to the dealership though.

Edited by hopeeholly

• 1 month later...

Just joined this forum as I was looking around on the net, we have the same problem with our 2010 Edge. My wife was driving the about 6 weeks ago and heard a clunking noise. I drove it around and noticed the noise happened when the TCS light came on. The car would also start to bog down. This was on a Thursday. Took the car in to the dealer the next day. At the end of the day they told us that the car needed a new sensor, and they did not have it in stock, it would be in Monday. They kept the car for the w/e and Monday when we called we were told that the part had to be back-ordered, they would call us when it was in. Still have not heard from the dealer, and they do not return calls. Have stopped in, and was told that someone would contact Ford directly and get back to us. Still have not heard back.

So, here is my question. Looks like others have the same problems. Has anyone had a resolution to the problem yet?

Glenn

I've not experienced this at all since the first day that I had the car. I do attribute the problem to the road conditions and the speed at which I was driving.

It seems that this can occur if one wheel gets an odd sensor reading, so that may indeed be a viable solution.

• 4 years later...