ignition coil malfunction

hill392

Did not think of that warranty thing. They always give me back my old parts. Actually they force me to take them. LOL

I don't think he'll get back the old part, normally don't get old parts back from a Ford service shop. Especially since there was warranty coverage, I assume Ford has "ownership" of the old/failed part.

• Like 1

Well my converter is bad and is being replaced under emissions warranty. Thanks again Ford Service. hopefully this is the last of it.

Hey chrissnow,

Ā 

Once again, Iā€™m glad to learn that all that your dealer is taking good care of you, and thanks for sharing the great news! :)

Ā 

Happy for ya, Chris, and once again, kudos to FordService and Ford :thumbsup:

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Ā 

Itā€™s always good to read about the success stories and feel the love! :love_shower:

Ā 

Tricia

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My 2008 Ford Edge with 74K miles started running rough and was having trouble going uphill, etc. I took it to a local parts store and they read P0302 (misfire on cylinder 2) and P0351, P0352, and P0354. I printed out a copy of TSB 13-4-17 and took it to my nearest Ford dealer. The Ford dealer says they'll replace the PCM under the emissions warranty. However, they said that only one of my coils is bad (cylinder 5) and that I will need to pay $514.45 to have them replace the coil, the plugs, and the gasket.

Ā 

I called Ford Motor Co and was given a case number, but it still seems that Ford wants me to pay to replace the coil, plugs, and gasket. Any tips or help?

Edited by Dees_Troy

I am replacing my plugs and gaskets tomorrow and will be making a video on how to do it. Coil on line should not run very much, but I am under 70 dollars for the plugs, gaskets and a PCV so the coil price you would have to add to the mix but can most likely do it yourself for under 150 dollars in your driveway.

My 2008 Ford Edge with 74K miles started running rough and was having trouble going uphill, etc. I took it to a local parts store and they read P0302 (misfire on cylinder 2) and P0351, P0352, and P0354. I printed out a copy of TSB 13-4-17 and took it to my nearest Ford dealer. The Ford dealer says they'll replace the PCM under the emissions warranty. However, they said that only one of my coils is bad (cylinder 5) and that I will need to pay $514.45 to have them replace the coil, the plugs, and the gasket.

Ā 

I called Ford Motor Co and was given a case number, but it still seems that Ford wants me to pay to replace the coil, plugs, and gasket. Any tips or help?

I went ahead and did the work myself over the weekend. I replaced all 6 spark plugs and one bad coil. Started it up again after it was all said and done, but it still idles rough and vibrates fiercely. I'm hoping that it will run well again after Ford replaces the PCM under warranty. According to the dealer, when a coil goes bad, it damages the PCM.

• Like 1

No, only the affected coils, unfortunately. So you could be playing a game of whack-a-mole here.

Ā 

You are correct, akirby, the LATEST version of the TSB does seem to imply that, IF the appropriate codes are also logged.

tsb13-04-17 2007-08 Edge MIL ON WITH DTCS - P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, AND-OR P0356 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3-1-2008 CoilOnPlugs & PCM.pdf

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 6 months later...

Well I too am bring this up from the dead. Taking the wifes' 07 Edge to the dealership to be looked at. Error codes P0302 and P0303 (misfires on cylinders 2/3) how it started last time we had this issue. We have already replaced the PCM once 2 years ago after Ford refused to cover it under warranty (Complete failure of the PCM), now hopefully we can get something done this time before it all falls apart again.

There are companies now that will refurbish/repair PCM's cheaper than buying a new one.

Well I too am bring this up from the dead. Taking the wifes' 07 Edge to the dealership to be looked at. Error codes P0302 and P0303 (misfires on cylinders 2/3) how it started last time we had this issue. We have already replaced the PCM once 2 years ago after Ford refused to cover it under warranty (Complete failure of the PCM), now hopefully we can get something done this time before it all falls apart again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, once again my local Ford dealership is refusing to stand behind their product. Was informed they have never heard of this issue and that the TSB I brought in, did not apply to my vehicle, but they would gladly charge me $150 to take a look at by next Wednesday at the earliest....guess I will go ahead and order 6 plugs and coils and get the PCM redone by the guys above (anyone ever used them?). Not even worth the fight with Ford at this point, as I fairly certain I wont be buying another one.

There is one further from my house, but it not terribly out of the way.

Ā 

Update:

Went ahead and ordered 6 new coils and plugs after the original denial from Ford Service.

Checked engine, and took a gamble of just replacing coils 2 and 3, and seeing if they would fail again or of the PCM would cause them to fail

So far so good, cleared the ODB error after replacing the 2 and 3 coils and yet to have it report another error. Still have the 6 plugs and 4 coils that I ordered in hand encase it ends up being the PCM again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's no need to replace the PCM,or have it towed to the dealer. Jegs sells a full set of coils for under $300, circuit board medics dot com will repair your PCM for $299 plus shipping. It's fast. No flashing required. Saved tons of cash. My 2007 had the #1coil fail catastrophically and following someone else's lead with circuitboardmedics saved my bacon and my bank account. Drop the extra dollars for the expedited shipping. Their turnaround time is excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 2007 MKX failed me for the first time this week. On interstate traveling at interstate speed my speed suddenly decreases and starts vibrating. Pulled off highway called wrecker and Ford dealership where originally bought new and frequent there for all service work. I'm a female but raised with my Dad's history of car salesman I'm always well respected so in saying this. The computer has identified melted coils and one spark plug and entire computer module needs replaced. 2600.00 quote. My car had 115,000 miles. It's still smells new to give you insight of how I've taken care of it but I certainly don't want to pay this amount if from what I'm reading there has been identified a PCM faulty. I don't fall under the 8/80,000. Any advice from you guys?

If no assistance is forthcoming from Ford or the dealer, see if you can get the PCM rebuilt (Circuit Medics, IIRC). Anyone that is somewhat mechanically inclined can change the plugs/coils/PCV valve themselves, a trusted non-dealer shop can do it cheaper if not. Change the gasket on the (upper) intake manifold and clean throttle body at the same time. Get Motorcraft parts if you can afford them (online pricing, such as at LevittownFordSuperCenter.com, is much better than counter; RockAuto or EBay are also worth comparing).

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I am investigating a potential legal action against Ford for the PCM failure and ignition coil malfunctions that plagued these Ford/Lincoln engines. This is a design defect in these engines. Please send me a PM or email me at probleminvestigation1@gmail.com if you are if you have been denied warranty coverage for this problem or if you have suffered this problem after your warranty has expired.

• 9 months later...

Add me to the lot of affected 2007 Edge owners. Have a couple questions though... Please bear with me. I'll try to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Ā 

1. Is there a noticeable difference between "just" a bad coil and when the PCM is done for? Had been having vibrating/slightly rough ride/idle intermittently for the past week and check engine light came on yesterday. Was perplexed because there's no rhyme or reason to when it would ride rough -- no specific gear, speed, engine being hot/cold, etc. It will just randomly feel like I'm driving on graded road for a few seconds and then back to normal. No loss of power(other than me panicking and being afraid to keep foot on the gas!). Thew code P0351 (great, so on far side). My mechanic just cleared code so will see how long before it returns.
  2. If PCM has been previously replaced, is it less likely to be damaged again by bad coils? My mechanic took quick look and said 2 of the 3 coils on near side had obviously been replaced. Called my local Ford dealership & had them look up VIN on OASIS to see if there was record of my car being serviced under the TSB (I purchased used at 125k, now have 153+k) but no luck. I guess it's possible PCM was also done.

Obviously I'm hoping that because I do not seem to be experiencing such dramatic "symptoms" that it's just the one coil that needs replacing. Appreciate all the info in this thread about testing & repairing PCM vs replacing.

Ā 

My mechanic (who was swamped today) is a Euro car guy. I'd dropped it off so they could check when they had time, and he called me to say come get it, it needs coil #1. I brought him copy of TSB 14-0059. He was surprised when I said it probably needed PCM, said he would just replace coil (quoted $650). Had to explain the shitty design flaw of this model year.

Ā 

Local Ford dealership said $407 to replace the one bad coil, plus PCM would be addtl $1121 parts & labor. Not common they're lower than my guy. Thinking the $407 could be worth it to save me (who am I kidding -- my fiance and his friend, who I'd have to feed & beer, heavily) doing the labor. But really ideally, the PCM is fine..... :swear:

Ā 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AlwaysSomething

Well, PCM had clearly been removed previously and wasn't even tightly screwed in. Part number is for a 2007 (7U7A-12A650-HNA) but the date stamp says 03-24-11. Or what I'm presuming is a date stamp.

Ā 

So, if I potentially have a refurbished PCM already, but have a bad coil, do I need to repair PCM again?? Or is it fixed/protected against being damaged by bad coils? I need a drink...

Quick question. Do you know if your plugs have been changed?

Ā 

If you don't change the plugs around ~90k or so, the gap gets too wide, forcing the coils to draw too much current. Higher current cause heat and the coils fail. From only a guess, I would think the problem lies with a coil that's failing, not the PCM. When circuits fail, it's usually not intermittent (but that's not a hard, fast rule). Coils drawing extra current will fail intermittently, before then fail permanently.

Ā 

These types of failures are almost a lack of maintenance.

Thank you -- you raise a really good point. I don't have a clue about the plugs. I purchased the vehicle used with 125k and I'm at almost 154k now. I don't have a great deal of faith in the previous owner's maintenance (for example, it had too-small tires when I bought it). Replacing plugs & coils would certainly be "better" than having to do PCM as well.