First to Second Shift

railroad

I have a 2010 and have no problems in the operation of the MKX. It does have a slow shift from 1st to 2nd gear from a stop. It shifts on time, but seems to reduce throttle go between gears engage second then add throttle back. That is probably the way Ford has it programed, but it sure feels primitive.

The rest of the shifts feel normal. Is this normal for other owners?

I have a 2010 and have no problems in the operation of the MKX. It does have a slow shift from 1st to 2nd gear from a stop. It shifts on time, but seems to reduce throttle go between gears engage second then add throttle back. That is probably the way Ford has it programed, but it sure feels primitive.

I've noticed that the transmission sometimes has a brainfart, but I'm not certain of what gears. Usually downshifting out of 6th to pass is a pain, as the tranny thinks before hitting the right gear.

My 2010 is like that also,very sluggish on 1st to 2nd shift.

• 3 years later...

I'm just seeing this post and it sounds like the same issue I have been having along with the occasional slip and thump when in traffic and minor acceleration sluggishness.. Already had it in the dealer and they applied TSB 11-12-13, I think it was...The work replaced the valve body gasket and removed a check ball. This seemed to have fixed the accel issues and slip and thump issue.

I am however still noticing the gear shifting hesitations sometimes from 1-2 but mostly from 2-3....This happens only sometimes and I cannot pinpoint any particular reason or environment. Sometimes it shifts perfect other times it seems to have the "brainfart" as said before..... I find it hard to believe that the transmission can make these mistakes this many times and I'm beginning to think there is some issue with the PCM..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just seeing this post and it sounds like the same issue I have been having along with the occasional slip and thump when in traffic and minor acceleration sluggishness.. Already had it in the dealer and they applied TSB 11-12-13, I think it was...The work replaced the valve body gasket and removed a check ball. This seemed to have fixed the accel issues and slip and thump issue.

I am however still noticing the gear shifting hesitations sometimes from 1-2 but mostly from 2-3....This happens only sometimes and I cannot pinpoint any particular reason or environment. Sometimes it shifts perfect other times it seems to have the "brainfart" as said before..... I find it hard to believe that the transmission can make these mistakes this many times and I'm beginning to think there is some issue with the PCM..

Hi mcali6301,

I've been going through these threads with a fine-toothed comb and just saw this post. Are you still experiencing this concern?

Todd

yes I am still experiencing this concern. I had the car in for a transmission valve body upgrade which fixed the acceleration and tranny slip issue. I though it would fix the shifting issue also.

Now I am starting to think it is NOT the tranny. SOMETIMES, the the car just loses power between shifts, it hesitates between shifts and I am starting to think it might have something to do with the throttle body..

I will bring it up when I take it in for routine maintenance but I post here to see if anyone else experiences the same..