Fixed the rough ride on a 2011 SEL

My parental units just picked up a 2011 SEL and were already thinking about selling it because of the rough ride(200 miles on the odometer). Parents are 73 & 74. I ended up putting 6 bags of tube sand (60lbs each) in the back and it really improved the ride. They seem to be happy now and they are not worried about losing some room and a few MPG's. I was able to get two of the bags along the spare and the other 4 are just laying in the back. I've got the tires at 32 psi. Any other ideas to smooth her out even more for the old folks?

Well setting the tire pressure wrong will make them wear out faster or wear wrongly and make them dangerous.

Didnt they test drive it first?

No, they did not test drive it first but they had a 2010 Edge which I just purchased from them. They first picked up a 2011 Taurus (Without a test drive!!!) and returned it within 3 days. I just think they are imagining the rougher ride but a few bags of sand should keep them from selling it right away. I thought we get smarter with age!!!!!! I don't think it's a big deal setting the tires at 32 psi instead of 37 as long as the sensors don't trigger. I will say that it really does ride a lot smoother with a sandbox in the back!

Overinflated tires wear out the center of the tread.

Under inflated tires wear out the outer tread.

Under-inflation or overloading creates excessive heat, can lead to tire failure, which could result in vehicle damage and/or serious injury or death. Proper inflation extends tire life and saves fuel. You just did both of these no no's!

I would not to this to my Parents ride.

Edited by nextime

Since the farthest they drive is about 5 miles in the city to the doctor or the local Bigboy at about 40mph I think they will be OK with an extra 360lbs and 5 psi low. Anyone know what psi will trigger the low pressure warning system??

Don't be silly. Put the tires back to 37. Underinflated tires are dangerous, period.

Thevlight will trigger at about 20 psi. My 2008 door sticker says tire psi should be 35. I have the 18" wheels. Who buys a car without test driving it...? Why would they sell the '10 and get an '11......sounds like a case of too little brains and too much money.....a very dangerous combo.

fishx65, What size are the tires? The stock 18" or the optional 20" tires? The 20" tires will ride harder. (Less sidewall on the 20" also)

It's an SEL that came with 18's. Just noticed that Monroe has the Sensatracs available for the rears of the Edge. Back in 2003 I replaced the stock Rancho labled shocks at about 6,000 miles on my new F150 (Off Road package) with Sensatracs and it made a pretty good difference in ride quality. Anyone try the Sensatracs yet? Also, I was reading that Ford retuned the suspension on the Edge for 2011. I wonder if they firmed it up a little. I've driven them both in the last few days and there is no question in my mind that the 10's ride is softer then the 11's. Michigan roads are like a test track for suspensions!!!!!!!!