Demand a Recall on Vista Sunroof

Here is my issue I emailed Ford about:

Ford Motor Company

Main Topic: PublicAffairs

Email Questions: My 2008 Ford Edge Vista Roof motor requires replacing already (48,000 mileage) and I did not purchase the extended warrenty which I am now regretting. My vista roof was stuck in the open position, I took it to Anderson Ford in Saint Joseph, MO for resolution. It cost me $100 just to have the sunroof closed. I was told it may leak so keep it out of the rain. To seal it so no leaks was estimated at $500, to replace just the motor was $1500 and it potentially could cost $2300 to fix depending on if there were other issues. The total involved cost of repair is not able to be determined until the header is removed, etc. I have never taken the time to write a complaint before but the cost involved here blows my mind. I am a dedicated Ford owner and have been for years, my family are all Ford owners and generally we do not have issues. Being loyal to the brand is something that I'm proud of, we could go with other vehicles that are less costly but I believe in the Ford brand and always have. As such, I am requesting the sunroof issue be looked at from a recall perspective, in my research online there are multiple sites listing issues buyers have with their roofs after @ 2-3 years of ownership. This does not stand up to Ford quality we are used to. If nothing else, I am requesting a factory warrenty repair to be completed on my vehicle free of charge or at least at a more feasible cost.

Response from Ford:

This is Phebe from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC) and I had the opportunity to read your follow-up email.

I am truly sorry you're having this issue with your vehicle. Allow me to apologize on behalf of Ford Motor Company if this situation has caused you inconvenience.

I would like you to know that after reviewing my resources, I see that there are no factory warranties or programs in effect on your vehicle that would provide financial assistance for your current concern. I recommend that if you keep your repair receipts, you may be able to reimburse such in case Ford initiates a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program in the future based on customer feedback or further engineering review of similar complaints.

Still, I recommend your service be done by a Ford or Lincoln Dealership where the technicians are trained to put your vehicle back into factory specifications. They use Ford and Motorcraft branded replacement parts. These parts meet or exceed Ford Motor Company’s specifications, and we stand behind them. You can visit our website www.fordowner.com in locating the nearest Dealership in your area.

Please note that any repairs that are completed by a Ford Dealer will be provided with a service part warranty (SPW) for 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever occurs first from the repair date.

Additionally, Ford Motor Company makes every effort to maintain a high standard of quality control in our manufacturing processes. Despite these efforts, every now and then unintended malfunctions or mechanical issues may surface. Recalls are issued on items that may cause safety or emissions concerns with vehicles.

Many factors are used to determine the issuance of a recall; factors such as warranty status, vehicle history, customer contacts, Dealership comments and so forth. Ford and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and Dealer feedback. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recalls. Please keep in mind that the NHTSA, which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall. If a program is announced, we will notify you by mail.

Again, my sincerest apologies if my response couldn't be more favorable on your behalf. Thank you for contacting Ford.

Sincerely,

Phebe

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

My response back to Phebe:

Phebe,

Thank you for your response however I did take my car into another repair shop for additional estimates. He made some calls to a couple places that do the actual warranty repairs and the vista motor "kit" has been upgraded 3 different times because the glass is too heavy for the motor to support it for much more than 3 years depending on the usage. He was also told that the parts are only guaranteed for 1 year and will probably have to be replaced again.

I understand this is not a safety issue however; I paid more for a car with a working vista roof for a reason. I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating it is to be the customer and feel like the options are very limited. Paying $1500 - $2300 is a great deal of money to spend on something that may or may not last over a year or two. I am going to continue to route this complaint until there is a mutually agreeable resolution.

So as I await yet another blow off email, I joined this forum in hopes to encourage others to band together and not be taken advantage of.

• Like 1

Good info, thanks I will keep an eye on my panoramic roof.

BTW, have you looked into WEBASTO.com. They are a sunroof aftermarket and OEM supplier. I bet they have lots of info on various issues with sunroofs if they are willing to deal with you. Their prices should also be a lot cheaper than the dealer. Just a thought. You might run by the distributor/store in your area.

Betting they have some cheap $10.00 Chinese electrical motor from the dollar store installed that only lasts a year or so.

Every day theres a new concern with my 2011, $49,000 Limited AWD to a point where I'm begining to regret this purchase

:banghead:

That sure is a negative approach to take things, especially to something that up to this point doesn't even apply to you. This too is my first Ford product, and I have to say, while it has its issues, it has been a great vehicle to own so far, and is certainly better than the two previous Toyota products I have owned.

Stay positive.

The $500 "leak" repair is absolute bullshat ! If it is closed properly why would it leak ? Sounds like a blown fuse which would cost you $3 vs. $2300. Check the Fuse ....!!!

Thanks for the tip......mechanic did check all the little things to see what it could be, fuse was not the problem. However, the vista roof is so heavy it hasn't leaked yet!

• 1 month later...

Ford Motor Company

Email Questions: My 2008 Ford Edge Vista Roof motor requires replacing already (48,000 mileage) and I did not purchase the extended warrenty which I am now regretting. My vista roof was stuck in the open position, I took it to Anderson Ford in Saint Joseph, MO for resolution. It cost me $100 just to have the sunroof closed. I was told it may leak so keep it out of the rain. To seal it so no leaks was estimated at $500, to replace just the motor was $1500 and it potentially could cost $2300 to fix depending on if there were other issues. The total involved cost of repair is not able to be determined until the header is removed, etc. I have never taken the time to write a complaint before but the cost involved here blows my mind. I am a dedicated Ford owner and have been for years, my family are all Ford owners and generally we do not have issues. Being loyal to the brand is something that I'm proud of, we could go with other vehicles that are less costly but I believe in the Ford brand and always have. As such, I am requesting the sunroof issue be looked at from a recall perspective, in my research online there are multiple sites listing issues buyers have with their roofs after @ 2-3 years of ownership. This does not stand up to Ford quality we are used to. If nothing else, I am requesting a factory warrenty repair to be completed on my vehicle free of charge or at least at a more feasible cost.

Response from Ford:

This is Phebe from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC) and I had the opportunity to read your follow-up email.

I am truly sorry you're having this issue with your vehicle. Allow me to apologize on behalf of Ford Motor Company if this situation has caused you inconvenience.

I would like you to know that after reviewing my resources, I see that there are no factory warranties or programs in effect on your vehicle that would provide financial assistance for your current concern. I recommend that if you keep your repair receipts, you may be able to reimburse such in case Ford initiates a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program in the future based on customer feedback or further engineering review of similar complaints.

Still, I recommend your service be done by a Ford or Lincoln Dealership where the technicians are trained to put your vehicle back into factory specifications. They use Ford and Motorcraft branded replacement parts. These parts meet or exceed Ford Motor Company’s specifications, and we stand behind them. You can visit our website www.fordowner.com in locating the nearest Dealership in your area.

Please note that any repairs that are completed by a Ford Dealer will be provided with a service part warranty (SPW) for 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever occurs first from the repair date.

Additionally, Ford Motor Company makes every effort to maintain a high standard of quality control in our manufacturing processes. Despite these efforts, every now and then unintended malfunctions or mechanical issues may surface. Recalls are issued on items that may cause safety or emissions concerns with vehicles.

Many factors are used to determine the issuance of a recall; factors such as warranty status, vehicle history, customer contacts, Dealership comments and so forth. Ford and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and Dealer feedback. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recalls. Please keep in mind that the NHTSA, which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall. If a program is announced, we will notify you by mail.

Again, my sincerest apologies if my response couldn't be more favorable on your behalf. Thank you for contacting Ford.

Sincerely,

Phebe

Ford Motor Company

Phebe,

Thank you for your response however I did take my car into another repair shop for additional estimates. He made some calls to a couple places that do the actual warranty repairs and the vista motor "kit" has been upgraded 3 different times because the glass is too heavy for the motor to support it for much more than 3 years depending on the usage. He was also told that the parts are only guaranteed for 1 year and will probably have to be replaced again.

I understand this is not a safety issue however; I paid more for a car with a working vista roof for a reason. I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating it is to be the customer and feel like the options are very limited. Paying $1500 - $2300 is a great deal of money to spend on something that may or may not last over a year or two. I am going to continue to route this complaint until there is a mutually agreeable resolution.

So as I await yet another blow off email, I joined this forum in hopes to encourage others to band together and not be taken advantage of.

I just had the same issue with my 08 Ford Edge Limited. I was wondering who you sent your email to? I want to send a similar one in hopes that they address this problem. The service department manager at my Ford dealership said the motor issue is a result of Ford buying the initial motors for the vista roof from one company and then switching to a new company. Because of this, the motors cannot be purchased as a single unit. So even if only one motor was the issue, you have to buy both new because the new motors aren't compatible with the old ones.

Ford Motor Company

Response from Ford:

Sincerely,

Phebe

Ford Motor Company

Phebe,

My 2008 is at the Ford Dealers (since Monday) and they are having a heck of a time fixing the sun roof. I did purchase the extended warranty--we've only had the vehicle less than a month. The sun roof wouldn't even open, nor the cover to it. They claim that the motor burned out. So they are in process of replacing the motor- the vehicle has only 25,000 miles on it. Well now they say that the rails are binding the glass and the motor burned out again. Under the extended warranty, I am driving a rental car which they are paying for. I drove by the dealer today and the sunroof and shade is laying on top of my car upside down. So I am with you about the recall! I am thankful the car salesman talked us into the extended warranty. It was worth every penny.

My 2008 is at the Ford Dealers (since Monday) and they are having a heck of a time fixing the sun roof. I did purchase the extended warranty--we've only had the vehicle less than a month. The sun roof wouldn't even open, nor the cover to it. They claim that the motor burned out. So they are in process of replacing the motor- the vehicle has only 25,000 miles on it. Well now they say that the rails are binding the glass and the motor burned out again. Under the extended warranty, I am driving a rental car which they are paying for. I drove by the dealer today and the sunroof and shade is laying on top of my car upside down. So I am with you about the recall! I am thankful the car salesman talked us into the extended warranty. It was worth every penny.

You are super lucky and smart, this is the first time I didn't purchase an extended warranty and the only time I really needed it. Good luck!

I just had the same issue with my 08 Ford Edge Limited. I was wondering who you sent your email to? I want to send a similar one in hopes that they address this problem. The service department manager at my Ford dealership said the motor issue is a result of Ford buying the initial motors for the vista roof from one company and then switching to a new company. Because of this, the motors cannot be purchased as a single unit. So even if only one motor was the issue, you have to buy both new because the new motors aren't compatible with the old ones.

I started with the Ford website feedback link. We have been in the process of a move and I haven't followed up on it for a few weeks but will start driving them crazy again next week after the holiday.

You are super lucky and smart, this is the first time I didn't purchase an extended warranty and the only time I really needed it. Good luck!

I stopped by the dealer today to find out about my car. The service rep said that more parts came in today - he said he had to order lots of parts! Don't know if he was BS'ing me, but he said that my car should be ready tomorrow. I sure hopeso and before I leave the dealer, I'm going to make sure that roof is working. We've never purchase an extended warranty until we saw what my son and my brother went through with their vehicles. My brother has already had 4 transmission replaced under the extended warranty. Lessons learned the hard way for some. I am sorry about your experience.

Got my Edge back today from the dealer. The total bill came to $2,440.00 plus $130 for the rental car. I had to pay a $100 deductible. I paid $1,900 for the extended warranty, so it looks like the warranty paid for itself. The sun roof and cover works perfectly - so far. We don't plan on opening it and using it that often. Saw our salesman and thanked him again for talking us into the purchasing the extended warranty.

Got my Edge back today from the dealer. The total bill came to $2,440.00 plus $130 for the rental car. I had to pay a $100 deductible. I paid $1,900 for the extended warranty, so it looks like the warranty paid for itself. The sun roof and cover works perfectly - so far. We don't plan on opening it and using it that often. Saw our salesman and thanked him again for talking us into the purchasing the extended warranty.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.....warranty was worth it. I again kick myself and have offered Ford to pay for the extended warranty if they will cover the sunroof (this repair) so far the answer has been a polite courteous "no" but figure if I drive them nuts with emails every week they may cave.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.....warranty was worth it. I again kick myself and have offered Ford to pay for the extended warranty if they will cover the sunroof (this repair) so far the answer has been a polite courteous "no" but figure if I drive them nuts with emails every week they may cave.

I doubt they will cave since you did not purchase the extended warranty AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. Especially since they know you are having trouble with the sun roof. I will use the sunroof once a month just to keep it functional. Test of time, we shall see.

I doubt they will cave since you did not purchase the extended warranty AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. Especially since they know you are having trouble with the sun roof. I will use the sunroof once a month just to keep it functional. Test of time, we shall see.

Of course they won't because if they did then everybody would just wait until they have a problem to buy the warranty. They'd never make any money.

Of course they won't because if they did then everybody would just wait until they have a problem to buy the warranty. They'd never make any money.

They did not make money off of me. I paid $1,900 for the warranty, and the bill came way beyond that. I have my salesman to thank. Upon talking to him after this ordeal, he said "I'm just a car salesman, not an insurance salesman." "You bought a car with electronics and such, "sh*t happens." Shore enuiff, sh*t happened. So it goes.....

• 1 year later...

After a year and a half of owning a 2010 Edge, my daughter and I were driving down the highway, traveling at approximately 63 miles per hour. We both heard a loud noise as if a balloon had popped on the ceiling, only to find that the front portion of our sunroof had shattered --- away from all 4 corners of the roof.

We had not met any vehicles coming from the other direction and no one had passed us.

Thank goodness we did not have the sunroof cover slid open or we could've gotten pelted with the glass.

Anderson-Ford Lincoln Mercury in Grand Island, NE, did NOTHING to help us with this -- "Corporate Ford" said there was nothing they could do as it was considered a "window" issue.

We have since traded it off and bought a brand new Dodge. I will never buy another Ford as long as I live with the poor customer service we received.

I

After a year and a half of owning a 2010 Edge, my daughter and I were driving down the highway, traveling at approximately 63 miles per hour. We both heard a loud noise as if a balloon had popped on the ceiling, only to find that the front portion of our sunroof had shattered --- away from all 4 corners of the roof.

We had not met any vehicles coming from the other direction and no one had passed us.

Thank goodness we did not have the sunroof cover slid open or we could've gotten pelted with the glass.

Anderson-Ford Lincoln Mercury in Grand Island, NE, did NOTHING to help us with this -- "Corporate Ford" said there was nothing they could do as it was considered a "window" issue.

We have since traded it off and bought a brand new Dodge. I will never buy another Ford as long as I live with the poor customer service we received.

I

Vehicle glass fails all the time, usually due to an impact of some kind even if it occurred minutes, hours or days before. If the glass itself was defective it would have failed a lot earlier than a year and a half.

That's why you have insurance. You'd get the same answer from Dodge, Chevy, Toyota or any other mfr.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I DID purchase the extended warranty and after 6 or 7 returns for replacement parts and 'having it looked at,' they gave in and replaced everything (supposedly.) Now, 1 year on, I have had to drive into work with the rain pelting in on me because, yes, once, again, my roof is stuck open. This must be a technical fault?? It had the dealership where I bought my car baffled. Now, I do not have an extended warranty since my car is 2008. :( THIS SHOULD BE RECALLED!!! I am so unhappy, since this is one of the features I purchased this car for!!!! Come on Ford!! :heartbreaker: