Demand a Recall on Vista Sunroof

• 1 month later...

I just took my 2012 Edge into the dealer (Bob Bell Ford) to have my vista roof fixed. The roof seemed to be out of calibration as it still opened and closed the glass roof just not all the way, but the service writer said the motor burned out due to tree debris in the tracks?! The vehicle is garage kept all the time and there was no debris in the tracks when I checked it. He said that you have to drop the headliner to see it???? The motor is under warranty( I got the Premier extended warranty) but to clean the tracks it would cost me an additional $200 as they had to remove the headliner to do this. ( they have to remove the headliner to R&R the motor anyway!) how could the tracks have tree debris under the headliner??? I needed to get my vehicle back as I am traveling away from home in Baltimore, MD so I can get back home so I had no choice but to accept this ($200 lesson). I used to work for GM in there underwriting and service contracts dept and I know this is a line and I will let them know about the ripoff. What good is a service contract if the dealer is going to charge you for doing the normal service procedure anyway?! He said it would be $1500 w/o the warranty! I just need an honest dealer! There has to be one out there!? Now I find out the re-calibration method! I need to contact Ford about this and the dealer principle. I will talk to them as soon as I get my SUV back! I love my edge but seeing this issue and no help from the dealer (could have been a quick fix!) I think I will have to look at a different make. I will post what happens next. I am having other issues with it, shift to park, collision warning inactive. What is the Ford email address for concerns and complaints?

Thanks

I just took my 2012 Edge into the dealer (Bob Bell Ford) to have my vista roof fixed. The roof seemed to be out of calibration as it still opened and closed the glass roof just not all the way, but the service writer said the motor burned out due to tree debris in the tracks?! The vehicle is garage kept all the time and there was no debris in the tracks when I checked it. He said that you have to drop the headliner to see it???? The motor is under warranty( I got the Premier extended warranty) but to clean the tracks it would cost me an additional $200 as they had to remove the headliner to do this. ( they have to remove the headliner to R&R the motor anyway!) how could the tracks have tree debris under the headliner??? I needed to get my vehicle back as I am traveling away from home in Baltimore, MD so I can get back home so I had no choice but to accept this ($200 lesson). I used to work for GM in there underwriting and service contracts dept and I know this is a line and I will let them know about the ripoff. What good is a service contract if the dealer is going to charge you for doing the normal service procedure anyway?! He said it would be $1500 w/o the warranty! I just need an honest dealer! There has to be one out there!? Now I find out the re-calibration method! I need to contact Ford about this and the dealer principle. I will talk to them as soon as I get my SUV back! I love my edge but seeing this issue and no help from the dealer (could have been a quick fix!) I think I will have to look at a different make. I will post what happens next. I am having other issues with it, shift to park, collision warning inactive. What is the Ford email address for concerns and complaints?

Thanks

Update :

Contacted my nephew who works at the Ford plant. Gave me customer assistance number 8003923673 and they were very helpful. they actually called the dealer while I was on hold and started to see if they could get some resolution. They stated that usless a part is replaced there is no warranty coverage. Even though they are replacing the motor the cleaning of the rails is about $400 but they will cut me a break and only charge $200. I know If this was my home dealer they would do it for free but since I'm traveling...you get it. I will wait to hear from the service mgr as to what they can do but it is a rough pill to swallow. I will post what happens next.

• 4 months later...

I purchased the Ford Edge a year ago. Now I am having problems with the sunroof remaining open. I purchased the extended warranty but was told the warranty does not cover the sunroof. I am so mad because there are so many complaints about the malfunctioning of this Vista Sunroof. It's time for FORD to recognize this as a recall issue and to fix the problem! I have an extended warranty and this should be covered! I AM EXTREMELY MAD and I will do whatever it takes to have this repaired based on the extended warranty purchased.

Iona,

take the time to read my previous post, most of the time lubricating the rails and resetting the sunroof solves the problem. Dealers are often extremely quick to suggest a part replacement for the sunroof (for example, if the sunroof moves back and forth but stop short, the motor is still working...). If you look for it, someone posted the lubricating/cleaning procedure on this forum, as well as the reset procedure for the sunroof.

Cleaning the rails is a preventive maintenance procedure rather than a repair, (similar to lubricating the brakes), and would not likely be covered by warranty.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anderson6799,

get your sunroof rails lubricated (or do it yourself) before you change any parts. Mine exhibited the same problem than yours, and at one point would just not close completely.

Went to the dealer once, they lubricated the rails and it did not work, when I went in to replace the motor, they instead lubricated some other parts of the rail (guess they were not interested in doing 2 x days of warranty work) and it has been working perfectly fine since then (aprox 2 years now, and I open the sunroof a lot in the summer).

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my Edge a few days ago. The motor is already whining/struggling when closing the roof!!!

Showed the service manager on Monday that is doesn't sound the same as the other cars I had driven. We went to a car and he agreed that it now sounds better in the other car.

Asked me to come back so he can take a closer look at it. Did so on Wednesday, Told me he compared to another car on his own which sounded worse than mine. So apparently noise is normal! Just oiled it and asked me wait two weeks.

Came home and started checking online. Don't trust them anymore.

I am all in for a recall. Should have figured this out before releasing the 2015 refresh of the model

• 1 year later...

Wow, I am so responding to ddchristian72 need for that recall. As an owner of a 2008 Edge often experience problems with the roof and have tried basically everything. I refuse to be suck in by Ford Dealers and their need to strip the pockets of owners who bring in the vehicle for routine maintenance and spend too much. I recently learned from past employed mechanics that Ford does not troubleshoot they are trained to remove and replace the part. So, the job may take 20 mins and the owners are charged for 1 hour labor. I also notice that you can never see what they are doing but are quick to say you need something when you just brought in the car for a recall. Like the recent Airbag Recall I was told I needed some repairs and I refused to leave it. Knowing they cant charge for the recall so they want to drum up business to compensate for their lost on that certain vehicle. I also demand that Ford recall the vista sunroof and repair the faulty motors that cause the defect. NOTE: FORD SOONER OR LATER YOU MUST RESPOND TO THE NEED OF THE PUBLIC.

• Like 1

Wow, I am so responding to ddchristian72 need for that recall. As an owner of a 2008 Edge often experience problems with the roof and have tried basically everything. I refuse to be suck in by Ford Dealers and their need to strip the pockets of owners who bring in the vehicle for routine maintenance and spend too much. I recently learned from past employed mechanics that Ford does not troubleshoot they are trained to remove and replace the part. So, the job may take 20 mins and the owners are charged for 1 hour labor. I also notice that you can never see what they are doing but are quick to say you need something when you just brought in the car for a recall. Like the recent Airbag Recall I was told I needed some repairs and I refused to leave it. Knowing they cant charge for the recall so they want to drum up business to compensate for their lost on that certain vehicle. I also demand that Ford recall the vista sunroof and repair the faulty motors that cause the defect. NOTE: FORD SOONER OR LATER YOU MUST RESPOND TO THE NEED OF THE PUBLIC.

Recalls are ONLY for safety issues and no matter how hard you try you are never going to justify this as a safety issue. There is no "Public Need" here. Just a part that sometimes fails.

Considering how many Edges and MKXes have been built (well over a million) and considering at least half probably have a Vista roof, the failure rate is relatively low.

Things break. Some dealers gouge you but that's not Ford's fault.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

All moving parts (especially horizontal sliding parts exposed to rain, dirt and road grime) need lubricating.

MactFordEdge has an excellent YouTube video on lubing the BAMR.

I use Super Lube (contains PTFE) on mine, every four to six months. Takes only minutes, less time than it took you to enter your post.

I just lubed mine, opening slow after the winter. Found a bit of gunk in the passenger rails. Start to finish, including time to open and get a small step ladder, took less than five minutes. Works great now. If your in a hurry, you can use spray silicone. Won't last as long, but it does work and it's a fast way to get the job done.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

The motor is not the issue. I have a 2010 , have owned it for 3 yes now and after approx 4 months of ownership my vista roof began slowing on close, it escalated to the point I needed to assist it shut then eventually it would stop. It is true, the motor does heat up. But the cause of this is the issue with the tracks being so long and binding occurs due to lack of lubrication and dirty components. I have never taken it to dealership because as you stated.. I already knew that dealerships don't make money for spending time trying to diagnose a known issue when they already know what is wrong and them charging you to lubricate tracks is only a bandaid . So I researched and found a video on how to clean and lube tracks. It worked ok. So I then decided I am going to take this thing apart and see how it works / how to fix it. I pulled glass removed the guides and the Teflon feet that slide in the tracks ... I cleaned all of thoroughly, the feet the tracks all of it! It is so much easier w the glass off. My roof has functioned fine. Yes it is a bit slower than when it was new but fords standard is a 12sec close and I am well under that. There is a video that is on YouTube made by bill trammel from Mact Ford Edge showing how to perform this MAINTANANCE. Procedure.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I recently learned from past employed mechanics that Ford does not troubleshoot they are trained to remove and replace the part.

Why was he fired, just didn't make the grade or what?

You do have the option of paying an unqualified backyard mechanic for multiple attempts to fix it, or pay the going rate to the dealership for them to really fix it and enjoy the warranty on their parts and workmanship.

wlapaglia,

this exact behaviour never happened to me. I would suggest you try the sunroof reinitialization method found on that thread.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/5259-sunroof-initialization/

This often resolves the issue when the sunroof does not close completely, I have not heard of an issue with the sunroof cover opening. but it is worth a try.