K&N now has air filter for Edge !!!!

ThinLine

I picked up a solid 1mpg more with the sole addition of a K&N filter and removal of airbox snorkel. It is actually 1.3 mpg increase but I went with 1mpg to account for variables out of my control. Just thought I would share my great news. BTW, I will end up saving almost $200 a year if god forbid, gas stays at $4 a gallon ! Happy Motoring !

• 5 months later...

Mythbusters where are you

Ā 

Here.

Ā 

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/air_filter_effects_02_26_2009.pdf

Ā 

Section 3.1.3

Ā 

Despite the filter restrictions, however, no significant changes in fuel economy were observed. Each vehicle was run through at least three rounds of FTP, HFET, and US06 tests with the new air filter, and the same protocol was repeated with the clogged air filter. The tests were conducted on consecutive days for each vehicle. This format was used to allow for the required soak time to perform a cold FTP each morning. The resulting fuel economy data for the vehicles are shown in Figs. 3.8, 3.9, and 3.10. Range bars in the figures show the minimum and maximum of the tests for each case, while the columns show the average. Test-to-test repeatability is within about 1.5%, and all of the variances between the new and clogged air filter cases are similarly within about 1.7%. The baseline fuel economies for the vehicles were all within 0ā€“6% of unadjusted EPA certification database values (www.epa.gov) for similar vehicles.

The changes observed by clogging the air filter produced no significant effect on the fuel economy of the vehicles tested, when tested over these three standard cycles that represent a wide range of driving conditions.

• 1 month later...

If you read what I quoted you'll see that a clogged air filter does not cause poor mpg in modern cars. That was true with carburetors but not any more.

Ā 

If someone noticed a fuel improvement when changing to a new filter its because he has a (open loop) carbureted engine. In a closed loop system you would not see a change in fuel efficiency. In a fuel injected car you have a oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold that would sense the rich air to fuel mixture due to a dirty filter and tell the injectors to lean the air/fuel mixture to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio.

Edited by milosm

• 5 years later...

A dirty filter does indeed effect your mpg. If you have a MAF and it isn't getting the reading it wants because it is air restricted, the system provides less fuel. Then when that gets back to the Oxygen sensors lean, they are telling the system to add more fuel. At this point the entire system is battling itself trying to keep things within parameter.

Ā 

So that, vs a clean filter not hindering your sensed A/F ratios...... you're telling me it doesn't make a difference?

• Like 1

A dirty filter does indeed effect your mpg. If you have a MAF and it isn't getting the reading it wants because it is air restricted, the system provides less fuel. Then when that gets back to the Oxygen sensors lean, they are telling the system to add more fuel. At this point the entire system is battling itself trying to keep things within parameter.

Ā 

So that, vs a clean filter not hindering your sensed A/F ratios...... you're telling me it doesn't make a difference?

It does not make a difference. I have a filter minder installed on my 2011 Ford Edge and the AEM dry air filter. This filter has never been changed and has 80,000 miles on the air filter. The filter minder notes when the air flow begins to become restricted and has visual indications of the amount of vacuum the system is pulling due to any restrictions. I am in the Yellow section right now and have not popped into the red yet. The MAF readings are 4.5 -5.0 on the highway at 75-80 mph continuously. I monitor the MAF air flow using a Forscan app and nothing has changed. Still plenty of air compared to others that monitor their MAF. When will the Filter minder tell me to clean the filter I do not know but assume it will some day and I will grab data to prove when it does. My MPG's over 14,500 miles were 22.1 mpg.

Ā 

Ā 

No difference at all, because the whole purpose of the MAF is that it senses the amount of air entering the engine - period. You can put a cloth diaper in the airbox and it will adjust to it just fine and won't affect fuel economy.

Ā 

The MAF senses that actual amount of air (and therefore oxygen) entering the engine and the computer adjusts the fuel to match. You'll get a bit less power but it won't affect fuel economy.

Ā 

Edit: after re-reading your comment you acknowledge that the system will reduce fuel to accommodate the lower volume of air which is correct. However, that will result in the correct A/F ratio and will not create a lean condition. If it did not adjust to the restricted airflow you would see a rich condition because the system would not know that it needed to reduce the amount of fuel - which is what happens in a carbureted system.

Edited by akirby

If a MAF is dirty or damaged, you will easily feel the difference. It not only measures air flow but air temperature. So if cleaning doesn't work, try replacing it. Don't try to get cheapo units off eBay that don't come in an original box/packaging, btw. I tried this twice with no success. Ultimately had to get a new (Hitachi) MAF, and it has made a significant impact on power as well as shifting, yes, shifting. The TCM/trans solenoids rely on MAF data as one input for shifting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nearing 80K miles on my air filter and running good. Air flow was plenty at 110mph. Just had 25-26 mpg at 77mph cruise control so why you change the air filter every 3-5K miles because it looks dirty. Save money and change it when it actually needs to be changed.

• Like 1