How to Fix Ford Edge Sunroof Problem

My Edge 2007 Model carries 28K miles. The Vista sunroof quit closing to the end position all of sudden today, and stayed open by 6-8 inches. The outdoor temperature in Vancouver today is 70F with sunshine, the Sunroof got his problem after I have driven 60 miles. Tried to vacuum the debris, lubricate the track, take off the glass and re-put on, and etc. Nothing worked. I then follow the initialization process, it worked. The sunroof can be closed to the very end. Thinking to share with fellas with same problem.

• Like 1

Seriously, do tell! This is all that is in owner's manual:

Ā 

To close the panoramic Vista Roof: Press and release the front

control until the glass panel stops at the ā€œExpress closeā€ position. Firmly

press and hold the control again to fully close.

Ā 

When you say it closed to the very end...did you do as the manual describes above, or were you able to close it all the way with one touch of the button???

I missed this initialization process you're referring to. Can you please share it as Vista problems seem inevitable. Thanks.

Start the engine.

If sunroof open, then press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.

Release, repress and hold the glass close switch (for at least 10 seconds).

- The glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

- The shade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

- After the shade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the glass close switch.

Press and hold the glass close switch.

-The glass and shades will fully open together. Then, the glass will close first and then the shades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the shades have stopped moving, release the glass close switch.

Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

- If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.

NOTE:

Ā 

The glass close switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state. Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path

• Like 4

Thomas, 3 things...1) Approx how long did it take for this initialization process to transpire? 2) Where do you lubricate the track? 3) With what lubricant?

Ā 

Thanks. Hopefully some preventative maintenance and knowing this procedure will help! And thank you for posting it too!!

Start the engine.

If sunroof open, then press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.

- The shade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

- After the shade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the glass close switch.

-The glass and shades will fully open together. Then, the glass will close first and then the shades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the shades have stopped moving, release the glass close switch.

Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

NOTE:

Ā 

The glass close switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state. Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path

Ā 

Thanks for this Thomas

Start the engine.

NOTE:

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks! Will save this for future reference

I tried this procedure but couldn't get it to work successfully, user error I'm sure...However...I was able to configure it to open the glass while the shade remained closed (by pressing and holding the shade close button) and was able to fix a small nick in the vinyl/plasicoat backing of the shade from the top (it had been there since i bought it and the nick let just a slight bit of light in and it just stood out during the day; to me anyway...)

Ā 

I may have to try again later...

• 2 months later...

I just got a 2007 ford edge. Well not my vista roof is not working properly. It will open fine but when I close it it will not close all the way. It stays open about 12 inches. I have greased the track and checked it for debris. It just stops. Doesn't even try to move after that point. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I just got a 2007 ford edge. Well not my vista roof is not working properly. It will open fine but when I close it it will not close all the way. It stays open about 12 inches. I have greased the track and checked it for debris. It just stops. Doesn't even try to move after that point. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Ā 

So, have you tried the initialization procedure mentioned in the thread?

So, have you tried the initialization procedure mentioned in the thread?

Ā 

Ā 

I did.. In a frantic I posted my problems without reading it thoroughly. BUT I read it and tried it and IT WORKED!!!!! I AM SOOOOO HAPPY! Thank you www.fordedgeforum.com.

Ā 

THANK YOU!!

Ā 

I love my new 2007 Edge. Grey with black leather interior and all the bells and whistles. Its a dream.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Mine did the same as above. It was working find and just seemed to stop moving the last 6-8 inches. I cleaned and lubed it and tried the process above. It worked part way and then the roof just stopped moving and locked up. It stayed that way over night and then would close the next morning. I took it to a dealer and they tried to get it to work with no success. It goes in next week to "drop the headliner" and see why it seems so bound up.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say THANK GOD for this thread!! I was having my battery serviced at the dealer and then my shade would not open properly, stopped every second and was jerky in opening. I went ahead and tried the initialization steps, even though my issue was not with the actual glass, AND IT FIXED MY SHADE ISSUE!!! I am so flippen happy. Especially after I called the dealer and told them that immediately after they worked on my battery I had this issue and they told me that my shade must be binding up for some reason and that I would need to pay $90. to diagnose the issue. What a load of CRAP! I honestly love my Edge, but am having issues with melted burned out taillights/sockets, and (in my opinion) related battery/electrical issues. Dealer is being less than helpful and wont accept that this is a wide spread, documented issue with many Edge owners. But at least my shade is working again, thank you so very much!!

• 10 months later...

I had the same issue and had taken it to the dealer. They said a piece was broken and that I had to pay 1200 to fix it....WTF...I demanded to see what was broke and they did show me a broke piece. I am not sure how the piece broke when I have rarely used the sunroof and never heard a loud sound I wold asume would happen when a piece of metal snaps. Ammazing the glass did not shatter when it snapped. I feel like the dealer just broke it. I am so frustrated. They said they tried to initiation. He said that did not work. I wish I would of tried this first. Has anyone had this issue with the moon roof?

• 11 months later...

Props to this forum!!!!

Ā 

All of a sudden my sun shade decided to go wacky. Won't open with the window while the window opens. To open it you have to hold the switch down and it will jerk to the open position and there are more examples but why go there.

Ā 

The fix from above did the job. No idea what it decided to fail but all is well now. Hope it stays that way.

Ā 

THANKS

I recently opened my roof for the first time and boy, did the motor seem to labour. A few days later I opened it again, thinking if I used it more it would loosen up, but then it wouldn't close all the way. It would stop just short of the front seal. I had read about the initializing procedure in the past so I knew what to do, and it seems to have worked.

Ā 

Time will tell if it stays properly calibrated.

• 1 year later...

I finally found my way back to this original post. I just posted a new message regarding this problem as well. The answer is: "initialization process". I copied/attached those instructions below. TIP: It's a little tricky, but just follow the instructions. I think I might've even missed one istep, but what did the trick was closing the glass panel as far as it would go, release that button, then closing the shade panel and KEEPING my finger on that button even AFTER it had closed. That's probably the "10 seconds" the instructions are talking about. I can't believe more dealers aren't aware of this fix ...

moonroof fix.doc

II just took my 2012 Edge into the dealer (Bob Bell Ford) to have my vista roof fixed. The roof seemed to be out of calibration as it still opened and closed the glass roof just not all the way, but the service writer said the motor burned out due to tree debris in the tracks?! The vehicle is garage kept all the time and there was no debris in the tracks when I checked it. He said that you have to drop the headliner to see it???? The motor is under warranty( I got the Premier extended warranty) but to clean the tracks it would cost me an additional $200 as they had to remove the headliner to do this. ( they have to remove the headliner to R&R the motor anyway!) how could the tracks have tree debris under the headliner??? I needed to get my vehicle back as I am traveling away from home in Baltimore, MD so I can get back home so I had no choice but to accept this ($200 lesson). I used to work for GM in there underwriting and service contracts dept and I know this is a line and I will let them know about the ripoff. What good is a service contract if the dealer is going to charge you for doing the normal service procedure anyway?! He said it would be $1500 w/o the warranty! I just need an honest dealer! There has to be one out there!? Now I find out the re-calibration method! I need to contact Ford about this and the dealer principle. I will talk to them as soon as I get my SUV back! I love my edge but seeing this issue and no help from the dealer (could have been a quick fix!)

I opened my sunroof today for only the second time since I had the vehicle and when I went to close it two black plastic strips about 30 inch long ended up hanging down to the seats...WTF?

I removed them ... but can I replace them and glue them into place or just leave them out without any water leaks.....I'm trying to figure out what their purpose is?

• 4 months later...
Just picked up my 2015 Edge a few days ago. The motor is struggling to close the vista roof.

Has anyone had success with a new motor?

Had my dealership's service manager check another vehicle with a vista roof. That sounded much smoother compared to mine.

Told me to come back in two days.

This time he tells me oiling and greasing didn't help much. But apparently another edge on thier lot is worse than mine!

Don't think i trust them after reading these forums