3.5L PCV Valve

triplejinc

Hey everyone, I have built many different performance engines in the past but these new engines are throwing me for a loop!

I just picked-up a new PCV valve that has an electrical connector on it and I cannot seem to figure out where this thing goes! I thought it was next to the oil fill cap on the front valve cover but what I have in hand and what is on there are VERY different so I guess that is not it!

Help an old guy out, where is the pcv valve on this beautiful monster?

Hey everyone, I have built many different performance engines in the past but these new engines are throwing me for a loop!

I just picked-up a new PCV valve that has an electrical connector on it and I cannot seem to figure out where this thing goes! I thought it was next to the oil fill cap on the front valve cover but what I have in hand and what is on there are VERY different so I guess that is not it!

How do you know it has one?

Ahhh, I have located and changed the PVC valve -which is Motorcraft part number EV-261 for my Edge. I figured that since it is 110 degrees outside it was the perfect time to start looking again. :banghead:

The PVC valve is located on the back side of the engine close to the passenger-side of the valve cover. There is a tube that slides on the top leading to the intake manifold. Gently remove the tube from the top of the valve. The valve itself rotates counter-clockwise to loosen -and believe it or not clockwise to tighten! - but there is the matter of the wiring connector.

Save yourself the hassle and only partially loosen the valve by turning it counter-clockwise about halfway and then start on the connector. *Don't try to twist the valve all the way off yet or you will damage the wiring connector!!!* First is the red retainer. Remove this retainer and then squeeze the connector on the wire end and slide it off the valve. Finish by twisting the valve counter-clockwise the rest of the way and removing it. Installation of the new one is exactly reverse of removal.

Just be aware that there is little to no room to work where the valve is located and if the Edge has been on the road it is like 50 zillion degrees in there. Wear gloves and let things cool down first!!!

*I just returned from a 150 mile trip and after changing the PCV valve on my Edge with 66,000 miles on it and my gas mileage increased from 22.4 to 25.3 on the Interstate. The metro gas mix and 100+ temp could not be the factor for the improvement. The only other thing changed on the Edge is the PVC valve. Take what you may from my experience!*

I wasn't sure but I do know that some engines don't have them. 2000 Lincoln LS V8 e.g. - or was it the V6? One of them for sure did not have a PCV valve.

I know what you mean. my Lincoln Conti V8 did not have a PCV valve anyone could ever find. Nothing worse than a "Not Serviceable" designation on maintenance areas I have serviced all my life!

Edited by triplejinc

• 2 years later...

I will defer to someone with actual experience on this job, but here is the info from the Ford workshop manual for the heated valve (early '07s, 2C5Z-6A666-AA):

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve electrical connector.
  1. Disconnect the PCV hose from the PCV valve.
  1. CAUTION: A new PCV valve must be installed if removed from the valve cover. Upon removal, damage will occur to the locking mechanism on the PCV valve.

NOTE: To install, apply clean engine oil to the O-ring seal.

NOTE: Upon installation, make sure the PCV valve electrical connector is pointing in the correct position to allow the wiring harness to be connected. Incorrect installation would require removal and installation of a new valve.

Rotate the PCV valve counterclockwise and remove from the valve cover.
    • Discard the PCV valve.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 1 year later...

Ok, I am going to change the PCV valve on my 08 Edge. I am looking and apparently have some sort of learning disorder. Where is this thing located? any photo or diagram available to help with this. I have been searching the internet and apparently photos and diagrams are as elusive as the Big Foot photos in the wild.

Well then after looking at the diagram I found thanks to akirby. The parts store sold me the Engine Crankcase Breather Hose Elbow, which is a straight plastic piece with a small gasket. Might as well replace it since it is cheap $5.00. Now back to the parts store to get the PCV with the little electrical connector.

I have now created a short video on youtube and the video of the PCV valve shows no wires or connections. Just a straight tube. I am going to remove and replace it as apparently the parts guy did give me the correct part. My question is do the newer edges have electrical connections on the PCV valves or am I missing something. I will make a video best to my space and ability showing the removal and replacement of the PCV valve.

I am still trying to get the video on the lockness monster and big foot, so had to settle for the PCV. LOL

The Edge started out with electrically heated PCV valves, but switched over later in 2007 (I believe) to non-heated.

Would have been much easier if you hadn't been trying to get us the inside scoop :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...