3.5L PCV Valve

triplejinc

Typically, the 3.5 does not burn oil. It is a very reliable engine. If the PCV valve becomes stuck or clogged, the fumes that normally escape from the engine and get recirculated back into the combustion chamber have now no place to go. This increases internal pressure in the engine, which in turn causes the gaskets to leak.

Try using High Mileage oil just to see if the oil use drops/stops. These oils contain seal swellers that can rejuvenate seals that have dried out, thus reestablishing a closed system.

Also make sure you are using the correct oil weight/specification at every oil change. Do you have AWD or FWD? What is your typical drive like city/highway/stop'n'go/etc.? That will draw a better picture of the mileage you should be getting. Have you noticed any changes in mpg/kpl over time?

• Like 1

The PCV "Assembly" is located in the back under the intake manifold next #2 cylinder (if i remember correctly). Check out my sparkplug install video and I show you everything about the PCV assembly. I do mean "Assembly" the hose to the PCV is heat shrinked together with the quick disconnect elbow/tube connection. You can not just buy a PCV for the 2011 and up. The next best thing to do if you do not want to buy a new one is to invest in a big can of Throttle body cleaner and hose the heck out of it then reinstall it. Which is what I did.

Edited by macbwt

how about running a good oil catch can?

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

ive only had it for a year. i do city driving on the way to work with some stop and go. Weekends i do highway driving. If i use high mileage oil wont htis juyst start burning oil again if the pcv is bad.??? also does lucas additive help with seals?

MACBWT:

YOUR video is for 2011? i assume the same for 2012? do i have to remove anything else to get to it? also why would ford sell this part?

I CALLED DEALER AND CHECK EBAY they have the part for sale?!

Edited by wantboost

You should be able to get in there to look at it with some bending and twisting of your body or a smart phone to take video or pictures. Not sure what the dealer is saying, but as you see in the video the PVC is an assembly and I could not separate them without damaging the assembly so this is definitely a Ford OEM part not available at a parts store. It might be just me but getting to it seems to me that I would have to somehow create an extra movable joint in my forearm. It was far easier to remove once the intake manifold was loosened and moved.

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I've only had it for a year. i do city driving on the way to work with some stop and go. Weekends i do highway driving. If i use high mileage oil wont this just start burning oil again if the pcv is bad.??? also does lucas additive help with seals?

MACBWT:

YOUR video is for 2011? i assume the same for 2012? do i have to remove anything else to get to it? also why would ford sell this part?

The HM oil is to see if there is a leak problem. It may not be just PCV valve at the root if there IS a leak, and in that case the HM oil can be of great help. If there is a leak caused by a PCV valve problem, then you are right, the problem is not solved by HM oil.

mac's 2011 video works for at least the 2011-14 Edge/MKX with the 3.5 engine. Not sure about the 2015 yet.

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

ive only had it for a year. i do city driving on the way to work with some stop and go. Weekends i do highway driving. If i use high mileage oil wont htis juyst start burning oil again if the pcv is bad.??? also does lucas additive help with seals?

MACBWT:

• 1 year later...