Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Cold air intake or just K&N for better fuel economy?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rltrbill

rltrbill

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Has anyone installed a cold air intake on a 2010 Edge and had any gas milage improvements? Was thinking about getting one but am wondering if just the filter will be just as good. I am mostly concrned with improving the fuel milage than performance....

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   flyerjmr33

flyerjmr33

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

Has anyone installed a cold air intake on a 2010 Edge and had any gas milage improvements? Was thinking about getting one but am wondering if just the filter will be just as good. I am mostly concrned with improving the fuel milage than performance....

Thanks!

This subject was beat to death a month ago--- No one can prove any gas mileage improvement.
Don't waste your money.

#3 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

This subject was beat to death a month ago--- No one can prove any gas mileage improvement.
Don't waste your money.

Exactly. Changing your driving habits will yield better results.

#4 OFFLINE   Feirstein

Feirstein

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 227 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

Even the EPA has issued a report that claims that a new air filter will improve fuel economy is false, yet the claims persist.

#5 OFFLINE   rltrbill

rltrbill

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

thanks... I guess I will stick to the K & N filter.......

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

thanks... I guess I will stick to the K & N filter.......

The same reasoning applies to the filter as well. Don't expect any improvement.

#7 OFFLINE   jackson5

jackson5

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

The same reasoning applies to the filter as well. Don't expect any improvement.

I agree with everything in this thread. more air in does not mean less gas used... dont change any air filer from stock if you are looking for better mileage.

#8 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

I agree with everything in this thread. more air in does not mean less gas used... dont change any air filer from stock if you are looking for better mileage.

More air in actually means MORE gas used because it has to maintain the A/F ratio. However, the notion that a freer flowing air filter provides more air to the engine is ONLY true at WOT.
At anything less than WOT the only difference is the amount of throttle applied. Let's say it flows 10% better - that means that 50% throttle with a K&N looks the same to the engine as 60% throttle with a paper filter.
So for normal driving all you've done is change the amount of throttle you apply - the amount of air is the same therefore the fuel is the same.

#9 OFFLINE   jackson5

jackson5

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

More air in actually means MORE gas used because it has to maintain the A/F ratio.

well sure.. i didnt think i needed to state the obvious. :rockon:

#10 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

As akirby points out, your car already has a huge restriction in the air intake system - the throttle. The only way an air filter can flow "more air" is by filtering less.

#11 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

well sure.. i didnt think i needed to state the obvious. :rockon:

I know you knew - I was just reaffirming it.

#12 OFFLINE   Freddy1021

Freddy1021

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

Freddy1021 I talked to a tech from www.ststurbo.com and he says he can tune your ride safely with no resulting long term engine damage and yield you 3-5 mpg and about 30 more hp. He does this all day long and dyno tests them all so he has documented test results. That website lists all their dealers and contact info. You could make an appointment but the fees for a good tune can run to over $500

Thanks!

#13 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

Freddy1021 I talked to a tech from www.ststurbo.com and he says he can tune your ride safely with no resulting long term engine damage and yield you 3-5 mpg and about 30 more hp. He does this all day long and dyno tests them all so he has documented test results. That website lists all their dealers and contact info. You could make an appointment but the fees for a good tune can run to over $500

You can't dyno fuel economy and there is NO way a tune will yield a 3-5 mpg gain. No way.

#14 OFFLINE   flyerjmr33

flyerjmr33

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

You can't dyno fuel economy and there is NO way a tune will yield a 3-5 mpg gain. No way.

With all the flap about fuel mileage, why do some folks believe they are smarter then the factory engineers? Don't they think that the manufacturer of the vehicle would love to get a few more tenths of a MPG to beat the competition?
  • EdgeSniper2012 likes this

#15 OFFLINE   JT58

JT58

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have been using K & N filters, installing Cold Air Intakes, CAT back exhausts for over 30 years now. We each have our own opinions and preferences. My favorite is CAT back exhaust and K & N filter (not intake, just filter). This combo seems to yield best fuel mileage and performance gain. I have not had as good results with Cold Air Intakes- on their own or with CAT back exhausts. When I replace the factory filter, I always use K & N. It provides better breath-ability in my opinion. In some cars it yields 1 MPG increase, others none. I have one installed in my 2010 Edge Sport- and I also removed the silencer on top of the intake tube and replaced it with round rubber pucks, which I machined. The combo yielded no difference in performance, sound or MPG. I intend to install CAT back exhaust in about 3-6 months. I will report back the results of the K & N filter and CAT back.

#16 OFFLINE   flyerjmr33

flyerjmr33

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have been using K & N filters, installing Cold Air Intakes, CAT back exhausts for over 30 years now. We each have our own opinions and preferences. My favorite is CAT back exhaust and K & N filter (not intake, just filter). This combo seems to yield best fuel mileage and performance gain. I have not had as good results with Cold Air Intakes- on their own or with CAT back exhausts. When I replace the factory filter, I always use K & N. It provides better breath-ability in my opinion. In some cars it yields 1 MPG increase, others none. I have one installed in my 2010 Edge Sport- and I also removed the silencer on top of the intake tube and replaced it with round rubber pucks, which I machined. The combo yielded no difference in performance, sound or MPG. I intend to install CAT back exhaust in about 3-6 months. I will report back the results of the K & N filter and CAT back.

With the computer controlling the fuel mixture, I fail to understand how an air filter could possible do anything more than allow slightly more air at full throttle. Perhaps you would be kind to all of us who understand how the system operates and tell us where we are wrong---- Same with an exhaust system--- I only see full throttle improvements--same as it has been for the 65 years I've been driving and the 30+ I spent in the business---

#17 OFFLINE   Edgieguy

Edgieguy

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,183 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Flame if you must, but I received a K&N air filter as a Christmas gift after purchasing my 3.7L Sport. I carefully kept track of every fill-up and saw a gain of 1-3mpg. I removed it, I lost the same mpg, I re-installed and saw my gain again. My friend who owns a performance shop told me he uses them all the time and to not listen to all the non believers. I'm a believer and its worked for me. Try it yourself and see how you make out.

#18 OFFLINE   flyerjmr33

flyerjmr33

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

Flame if you must, but I received a K&N air filter as a Christmas gift after purchasing my 3.7L Sport. I carefully kept track of every fill-up and saw a gain of 1-3mpg. I removed it, I lost the same mpg, I re-installed and saw my gain again. My friend who owns a performance shop told me he uses them all the time and to not listen to all the non believers. I'm a believer and its worked for me. Try it yourself and see how you make out.

Even K&N makes no "increased mileage claim" You still haven't explained how that works-- The mixture is controlled by the computer. Tests have been run with air filters stopped up against brand new ones and there was no change in gas mileage. Don't you think that if the gas mileage could be increased by changing the air filter that the automobile mfgr. would do it just to help their CAFE and sell cars? I've used K&N filters and all I found was an increase in intake noise in most cases, and a PITA to wash and clean. They are not cost efective till you drive one over 150,ooo miles. I don't know anyone who drives at full throttle all the time, so occasional performance use doesn't cut it either, but--- if it makes you happy to pour bucks into your ride, go for it, but unless you have something that technically proves your claim of gas mileage increase, you need to get a booth at the state fair and sell it along with the snake oil----

#19 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

We've been through this debate before. If there was scientific proof that a K&N filter improved fuel economy then it would be on K&N's webpage with test results and the mfrs would be putting them in all their vehicles.

#20 OFFLINE   JT58

JT58

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Well I finally installed a K & N filter in my 2010 Sport. And even though I have always used and supported the use of K & N filters, I expected only about .5 MPG increase. My increase is actually a whopping 1.9 MPG- same exact driver (me) and driving style as before the K & N. So, I am up to 21.9 MPG around town. I also did one other mod- the same one that Mike M. did. I removed the plastic sound chamber from the intake and manufactured two plugs to go into the vacant large holes. I first unbolted the entire intake tube, then proceeded to cut the clamps that hold the sound chamber on. The sound chamber pulled right out and there were 2 large, different size holes in the intake. I used some left over black rubber type sheeting I obtained from work- 1/2 inch thick and about 60 durometer I am guessing and cut 2 round pieces to match the openings in the intake. Then I bought 2 SST large round hose clamps at Lowe's, dropped the plugs in place and clamped them on with the SST clamps. The result is that the plugs are flush with the outside and since they are black, look great- and it looks factory. I did not notice any increase in intake sound. The total cost was just the clamps which were about $2.50 each, since the material was a freebie. i am not sure if this helped the MPG although it simplifies the intake and to me looks better without that large sound chamber on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users