Cold air intake or just K&N for better fuel economy?

rltrbill

• 3 months later...

I think the main problem with certain aftermarket filter, like the K&N, is the extra dirt the let in, causing the oil to get dirty sooner. Here's a good discussion on the subject (discussion links to actual aftermarket filter testing to ISO 5011 stds).

Ā 

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3148386

Ā 

One thing to keep in mind is, if installing a more porus filter was an easy way to more hp or mpg without any down sides, don't you think that Ford (or GM, or Toyota, or Chrysler, or ...) would have adopted it? K&N was developed for racing engines. They don't care about dirty oil as the tear down the engine and change to oil after every race, so it doesn't really matter. Far different matter with a domestic auto that has to last the life of the car.

• Like 3

Just a note One AEM air filter and 40K miles and counting with a Filter Minder that has tripped into the yellow but has yet to trip into the red indicating low air flow. Mileage is still good. So to this end changing air filters when not dirty is really wasting money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With all the flap about fuel mileage, why do some folks believe they are smarter then the factory engineers? Don't they think that the manufacturer of the vehicle would love to get a few more tenths of a MPG to beat the competition?

It isn't that folks believe they are smarter than the factory engineers, it is that factory engineers are limited to what they are allowed to do. A random car owner isn't.

A ford engineer that is doing the intake system, exhaust system and tuning is very limited on what they can do. They have to meet EPA standards for emissions. They also have to meet standards that Ford wants them to meet such as noise. Then they have to make the parts as cheap as possible to manufacture and to install.

Ā 

Just look at the VW scandal. After EPA made them "fix" the car to pass their standards, the car lost power and mpg just from a tune.

• Like 1

Diesels are different than gasoline engines - more drastic measures are required to make them emissions compliant therefore there is more room for improvements when emissions are ignored. Changing the intake and exhaust on a gas engine won't impact emissions unless you remove the cats.

Ā 

There are basically 2 ways you can get performance without additional forced induction. You can advance the timing which requires premium fuel or you can increase the amount of air available to the engine at WOT. On the latter you can gain a few HP on the top end but you usually sacrifice driveability and low end torque to do it naturally aspirated. Ford tunes for everyday driving not WOT.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Ok, so after about 6 months upon installing the actual K&N CAI made for my 2011 Ford Edge, no check engine lights ever,

and average fuel economy, based on my aggressive driving, has been around 11.5L/100km, with mostly hyqy driving.

It's a very quiet ride, until you floor the pedal, which sounds amazing, and just want to hear more of it, resulting in more gas!!

It sounds like it makes a difference to throttle response, but only at higher rpm's and speed, and minimal at best, more bark than bite.

However, I tried on a couple of occasions to see if the CAI actually makes a difference to fuel economy. I drove for around 40km at 98kph,

or ~ 60mph. I actually achieved 6.7L/100km, or just over 40mpg!! Hard to believe, but when I first bought it brand new, I was averaging

7.3L/100km or 37mpg, same speed and road conditions. I can't believe it actually had some improvement, but needless to say, I won't be driving at a steady 98kph

for long periods of time, unless the price of gas goes up 50 cents/liter!

Ā 

After almost 6 years and over 100,000km, this Edge has been very reliable, and have been really happy with it.

In the last 6 months I've been searching for a new suv, and have looked and driven everything from Porsche, BMW, Acura, Mazda, and others,

only to come back to Ford. I believe I'm close to making a decision, and looks like I'll go with either a 2017 or 18 Ford Edge Sport, in black, with 21" wheels,

and all options. Will purchase towards the end of the year when I'm more likely to get ~ $13,000 off list. With my current Edge, I was able to get $12k off list (SEL with leather, pana, and nav), plus all rubber liners and mats, life time oil changes for free, and a trip for 2 to Vegas which included air and hotel! (Yes, I will charge for coming with you to make a deal)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So picked my new Ford Edge Sport last Saturday, and I must say Ford has really made a difference in upping the game since my last Edge.

I bought it with every option except for the DVD screens, which no one would uses anymore (I don't have small kids). So rule #1, wife won't be driving this, EVER!

I let her drive my last Edge twice, and each time there was an incident, sticky tea stains on the steering wheel and rubber/plastic remnants from an exploding party balloon. Yes, I'm going to be anal about anyone even putting their paw prints on it, at least for awhile.

Ā 

I am blown away from some of the features this thing has, and look forward to getting used to all the tech, safety, and luxury features it has to offer.

While I thought I had read the manual thoroughly, everyday I'm learning of some new feature I didn't realise it had.

The other night at Walmart, and I parked at least a couple of hundred feet away...far far way from any evil shopping carts, and was able to start

the car from inside the store!

Ā 

Down the road will upgrade to a performance tune (will be happy with 400hp and 450ft lbs of torque,

with a CAI and high flow exhaust system (that growls)

Ā 

Just had my first gas fillup last night, with 94 octane. Will be driving around 150km tomorrow, all highway, at 100kph, will let you know what mileage I manage to achieve.

Ok, so after about 6 months upon installing the actual K&N CAI made for my 2011 Ford Edge, no check engine lights ever,

and average fuel economy, based on my aggressive driving, has been around 11.5L/100km, with mostly hyqy driving.

It's a very quiet ride, until you floor the pedal, which sounds amazing, and just want to hear more of it, resulting in more gas!!

It sounds like it makes a difference to throttle response, but only at higher rpm's and speed, and minimal at best, more bark than bite.

However, I tried on a couple of occasions to see if the CAI actually makes a difference to fuel economy. I drove for around 40km at 98kph,

or ~ 60mph. I actually achieved 6.7L/100km, or just over 40mpg!! Hard to believe, but when I first bought it brand new, I was averaging

7.3L/100km or 37mpg, same speed and road conditions. I can't believe it actually had some improvement, but needless to say, I won't be driving at a steady 98kph

Ā 

After almost 6 years and over 100,000km, this Edge has been very reliable, and have been really happy with it.

In the last 6 months I've been searching for a new suv, and have looked and driven everything from Porsche, BMW, Acura, Mazda, and others,

only to come back to Ford. I believe I'm close to making a decision, and looks like I'll go with either a 2017 or 18 Ford Edge Sport, in black, with 21" wheels,

and all options. Will purchase towards the end of the year when I'm more likely to get ~ $13,000 off list. With my current Edge, I was able to get $12k off list (SEL with leather, pana, and nav), plus all rubber liners and mats, life time oil changes for free, and a trip for 2 to Vegas which included air and hotel! (Yes, I will charge for coming with you to make a deal)

Ā 

So your saying that through your experience you calculated a 3mpg increase. All be it realistic or not.. this was your "experience" correct?

Ā 

I know the MPG's stated are not reality. And not in a 3.5 I guarantee it.

Don't forget that Canadian (Imperial) gallons are 20% bigger than US gallons. His 40mpg would be our 32mpg and the 37mpg would be 29.6mpg.

Still not going to happen. Not in the 3.5 Duratec in a Ford Edge even if it was FWD.

Ā 

The best I got was 28mpg with a 30mph tail wind on flat road going 55mph with an AEM air filter never cleaned with 80K miles of use. That was a one off and never happened again.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Still not going to happen. Not in the 3.5 Duratec in a Ford Edge even if it was FWD.

Ā 

The best I got was 28mpg with a 30mph tail wind on flat road going 55mph with an AEM air filter never cleaned with 80K miles of use. That was a one off and never happened again.

Ā 

Ah yes, but living in Canada is like having cold air induction all the time! And we all know how much CAI impacts mileage. :hysterical:

• Like 2