Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Cold air intake or just K&N for better fuel economy?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,585 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

My input and I used K&N filters for 10 years.  I switched to the AEM dry filter to get away from the oil and cleaning routine.  Can not say there was any noticeable difference between either brand.  The benefit however is I do not have to buy a recharge kit for the AEM and thus the AEM becomes even cheaper to use and own.  I also do not like cleaning them so I purchased the Filter Minder and installed it on my air box to let me know when I ACTUALLY need to clean the AEM air filter.  Installed the filter minder in December 2015 and have since put about 20,000 miles on the AEM filter and the filter minder is still in the green.   I am monitoring it for when it will actually need clean when it pops to the yellow or red.   To your point no noticeable fuel savings and no noticeable power increase.  Purely a way for me to reduce maintenance time.  IMO

Yeah akirby. Give some criticism. I'm all for it. And please if anybody would like to give me advice or their opinion I'd like to know it. Thanks

• wilso00000 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

Nothing to criticize. You said it makes no difference in performance or mpg.
  • macbwt likes this

#43 OFFLINE   wilso00000

wilso00000

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

So what's with the idiom? Are you saying my efforts to improve airflow are pointless as it will have no effect on performance? Because I have a hard time believing it doesnt. I didn't say it improved performance because I have no evidence to prove it but it should be obvious it did. And when I say performance I'm referring to HP gain and nothing to do with mpg. Thanks for replying!

Edited by wilso00000, 19 March 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   wilso00000

wilso00000

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

And I will look into an aem air filter. When I got the k&n I didn't bother researching other brands, mainly because I assumed they were the best and I already had the cleaner stuff. The airbox had to go tho, surely you have seen the size of the opening for air to come in. It's small, and while it may be cooler air than my current set up, it won't be when I'm done. And I most definitely will be putting some insulation on the inside of the heat shield as well as some weather stripping for against the hood. My next step tho is to get rid of the center muffler and I will be sure and use my little db meter to log the difference as well as some video footage. I know, there's another thread for that
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#45 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:38 AM

I'm not going to stir that hornet's nest.   If you're happy with it then enjoy it.

#46 OFFLINE   wilso00000

wilso00000

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Lol no hornets nest here. I would like to know what it is you want to say. Pm me if you like. I've looked through the comments and it would seem you have a good grasp at what you are talking about so please, fire away.

#47 OFFLINE   wilso00000

wilso00000

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

Is this thing called air restriction all in my head?

Edited by wilso00000, 20 March 2016 - 07:03 AM.

• macbwt likes this

#48 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

Maybe ... what exactly is that thought in your head?

• macbwt and wilso00000 like this

#49 OFFLINE   wilso00000

wilso00000

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

That by reducing the air restriction would increase air flow to allow whatever air the engine wants to get to it? I've tried to do some research into this and haven't come up with anything that would lead me to believe that leaving the air box intact is better than removing it and putting a cone filter in its place from purely an air flow point of view. Is there some magic to forcing the engine to suck air in instead of readily supplying it with as much air as it could want? Enlighten me a little, that's why there are forums, right? At least I'm not saying that my mpg increased due to the weight removed from the airbox which it did by .008 mpg actually. Yeah that was a joke. Seriously, am I missing something here? I do realize that the air flow might have been optimal before my airbox extraction, which one would think was the case, but I don't think it is. Why else would anybody claim to increase HP by changing it up with a cold air intake which incidentally removes the airbox? Unless other factors are involved that they fail to discuss?

#50 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

Ok - let's get the mpg thing out of the way since that's the biggest source of debate around here.  You are correct that the air filter doesn't affect fuel economy one way or the other - less restrictive or more restrictive - on a modern fuel injected closed loop engine.   The engine controls monitor and adjust the fuel to match the airflow and maintain the proper A/F ratio.  More air - more fuel.  Less air - less fuel.   Actually I should say oxygen, not air.   Denser/colder air adds more oxygen and requires more fuel.

A higher flowing filter will absolutely add more power - but usually only a few hp (maybe 10-15 under ideal conditions) and then it's only at WOT.  You'll get the same power below WOT with a paper filter just by opening the throttle a bit more.

That's the science.

• wilso00000 likes this

#51 OFFLINE   wilso00000

wilso00000

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

I agree with all that, I hope anything I said didn't let anyone think otherwise. I just got the impression that something I did was basically pointless. On that note, this topic has been beat to death. I am content with things now. Moving on

#52 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

No you didn't that's why I didn't jump in.   Macbwt was just stirring the pot based on past similar discussions.   Cut that out!

• macbwt and wilso00000 like this

#53 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:25 PM

OK but remember I was that kid that hit the hornets nest with the stick!!!

No you didn't that's why I didn't jump in.   Macbwt was just stirring the pot based on past similar discussions.   Cut that out!

• akirby likes this

#54 OFFLINE   mcali6301

mcali6301

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 253 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

I just put my K&N panel filter back in after using the paper filter for a few months. I'll keep you all posted on HP gain and MPG.  :whistling:

Edited by mcali6301, 23 March 2016 - 03:33 PM.

• akirby, WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

#55 OFFLINE   fit1446

fit1446

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 308 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

Attached File  IMG_3835.JPG   104.42KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3829.JPG   121.47KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3826.JPG   155.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3824.JPG   133.36KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3822.JPG   111.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3822.JPG   111.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3817.JPG   91.42KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0106.JPG   454.73KB   0 downloads

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

#56 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,549 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

I think the main problem with certain aftermarket filter, like the K&N, is the extra dirt the let in, causing the oil to get dirty sooner. Here's a good discussion on the subject (discussion links to actual aftermarket filter testing to ISO 5011 stds).

http://www.bobistheo...&Number=3148386

One thing to keep in mind is, if installing a more porus filter was an easy way to more hp or mpg without any down sides, don't you think that Ford (or GM, or Toyota, or Chrysler, or ...) would have adopted it? K&N was developed for racing engines. They don't care about dirty oil as the tear down the engine and change to oil after every race, so it doesn't really matter. Far different matter with a domestic auto that has to last the life of the car.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W, TheWizard and macbwt like this

#57 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

Just a note  One AEM air filter and 40K miles and counting with a Filter Minder that has tripped into the yellow but has yet to trip into the red indicating low air flow.  Mileage is still good.  So to this end changing air filters when not dirty is really wasting money.

#58 OFFLINE   zillafreak

zillafreak

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 39 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

With all the flap about fuel mileage, why do some folks believe they are smarter then the factory engineers? Don't they think that the manufacturer of the vehicle would love to get a few more tenths of a MPG to beat the competition?

It isn't that folks believe they are smarter than the factory engineers, it is that factory engineers are limited to what they are allowed to do. A random car owner isn't.

A ford engineer that is doing the intake system, exhaust system and tuning is very limited on what they can do. They have to meet EPA standards for emissions. They also have to meet standards that Ford wants them to meet such as noise. Then they have to make the parts as cheap as possible to manufacture and to install.

Just look at the VW scandal. After EPA made them "fix" the car to pass their standards, the car lost power and mpg just from a tune.

#59 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Diesels are different than gasoline engines - more drastic measures are required to make them emissions compliant therefore there is more room for improvements when emissions are ignored.   Changing the intake and exhaust on a gas engine won't impact emissions unless you remove the cats.

There are basically 2 ways you can get performance without additional forced induction.   You can advance the timing which requires premium fuel or you can increase the amount of air available to the engine at WOT.   On the latter you can gain a few HP on the top end but you usually sacrifice driveability and low end torque to do it naturally aspirated.   Ford tunes for everyday driving not WOT.

#60 OFFLINE   Vinnyfast

Vinnyfast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Ok, so after about 6 months upon installing the actual K&N CAI made for my 2011 Ford Edge, no check engine lights ever,

and average fuel economy, based on my aggressive driving, has been around 11.5L/100km, with mostly hyqy driving.

It's a very quiet ride, until you floor the pedal, which sounds amazing, and just want to hear more of it, resulting in more gas!!

It sounds like it makes a difference to throttle response, but only at higher rpm's and speed, and minimal at best, more bark than bite.

However, I tried on a couple of occasions to see if the CAI actually makes a difference to fuel economy. I drove for around 40km at 98kph,

or ~ 60mph. I actually achieved 6.7L/100km, or just over 40mpg!! Hard to believe, but when I first bought it brand new, I was averaging

7.3L/100km or  37mpg, same speed and road conditions. I can't believe it actually had some improvement, but needless to say, I won't be driving at a steady 98kph

for long periods of time, unless the price of gas goes up 50 cents/liter!

After almost 6 years and over 100,000km, this Edge has been very reliable, and have been really happy with it.

In the last 6 months I've been searching for a new suv, and have looked and driven everything from Porsche, BMW, Acura, Mazda, and others, 

only to come back to Ford. I believe I'm close to making a decision, and looks like I'll go with either a 2017 or 18 Ford Edge Sport, in black, with 21" wheels,

and all options. Will purchase towards the end of the year when I'm more likely to get ~ $13,000 off list. With my current Edge, I was able to get $12k off list (SEL with leather, pana, and nav), plus all rubber liners and mats, life time oil changes for free, and a trip for 2 to Vegas which included air and hotel! (Yes, I will charge for coming with you to make a deal)

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users