Roof Rails with Panoramic Roof

I have just purchased a used 2010 Ford Edge Limited with the dual panel panoramic roof option. Not necessarily what I wanted, but it was what was on the lot and the wife liked it. But I need roof rails and crossbars if I want to throw stuff on the roof like lumber, my kayak or a Christmas tree. The parts department at my dealership didn't think Ford made after manufacture roof rails compatible with the panoramic roof panel. Does anybody know whether or not that's an option? Where could I get them and about what would it cost?

Thanks.

I have just purchased a used 2010 Ford Edge Limited with the dual panel panoramic roof option. Not necessarily what I wanted, but it was what was on the lot and the wife liked it. But I need roof rails and crossbars if I want to throw stuff on the roof like lumber, my kayak or a Christmas tree. The parts department at my dealership didn't think Ford made after manufacture roof rails compatible with the panoramic roof panel. Does anybody know whether or not that's an option? Where could I get them and about what would it cost?

Thanks.

A quick look in the right section will find you a thread where its all explained. Browse before you askl

A quick look in the right section will find you a thread where its all explained. Browse before you askl

I did browse all the sections in the forum and looked in the photo gallery to see if I could find the answer from one of the pictures before I posted. There are examples of Thule roof racks that bolt onto the side, but I cannot find any examples of a factory installed roof rails with a panoramic roof.

Oh, and sarcasm is never appreciated, especially when it is based on an incomplete knowledge of the facts.

I did browse all the sections in the forum and looked in the photo gallery to see if I could find the answer from one of the pictures before I posted. There are examples of Thule roof racks that bolt onto the side, but I cannot find any examples of a factory installed roof rails with a panoramic roof.

Oh, and sarcasm is never appreciated, especially when it is based on an incomplete knowledge of the facts.

The 2012 models are supposed to come with factory rails now with the Vista roof. Might be a new design that can be retrofitted. Other than the Thule system I think you're SOL.

I have no problem with sarcasm when it's deserved but in this case there are no threads that provide the answer to the question that was asked - at least not that I could find. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

The 2012 models are supposed to come with factory rails now with the Vista roof. Might be a new design that can be retrofitted. Other than the Thule system I think you're SOL.

I'm thinking you can add the roof rails to a 2011. The mounting points should all be there and it mounts just outboard of the BAMR.

I'm planning to order a set for my car and install before fall/winter roll around.

I have no problem with sarcasm when it's deserved but in this case there are no threads that provide the answer to the question that was asked - at least not that I could find. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

Aftermarkets only option such as:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1890-yakima-q-towers-and-bamr/

Can not order BAMR and rails upto 2011, Ford wont sell either,

Aftermarkets only option such as:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1890-yakima-q-towers-and-bamr/

Can not order BAMR and rails upto 2011, Ford wont sell either,

Thank you very much; that was exactly the information I was looking for. Yakima or Thule or something similar is the only avaiable option for my 2010 Edge. Not sure I want to do that; might just carry the stuff inside somehow. Appreciate all the good help.

Thank you very much; that was exactly the information I was looking for. Yakima or Thule or something similar is the only avaiable option for my 2010 Edge. Not sure I want to do that; might just carry the stuff inside somehow. Appreciate all the good help.

The 2012 Edge WILL offer factory rails with the BAMR so there is a chance that you could retrofit the 2012 rails to a 2010 or 2011. Not guaranteed but it would be worth investigating.

A hitch mounted carrier is also an option either for bicycles or cargo.

Edited by akirby

The 2012 Edge WILL offer factory rails with the BAMR so there is a chance that you could retrofit the 2012 rails to a 2010 or 2011. Not guaranteed but it would be worth investigating.

A hitch mounted carrier is also an option either for bicycles or cargo.

What I'm saying is I think you could just order 2011 rails and install them. We'll see...

It's funny that you mention hitch mounted options as I just picked up one this last weekend and am preparing to release a thorough review tomorrow.

Edited by cal3thousand

• 3 weeks later...

I just put an order in for a 2012 Limited and there is no option for BAMR with roof rails. After market is still in play. Don't know if it will be offered for later in the build cycle, but for now, no roof rails with vista moon roof.

Looks like we'll just have to lie to the parts department and order a set anyways.

I just put an order in for a 2012 Limited and there is no option for BAMR with roof rails. After market is still in play. Don't know if it will be offered for later in the build cycle, but for now, no roof rails with vista moon roof.

Looks like we'll just have to lie to the parts department and order a set anyways.

• 2 years later...

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14435-installed-factorythule-roof-rack-on-a-vista-bamr/?fromsearch=1

That should get you to where a guy put the factory rails on even with the BAMR, just need to add an extra hole. He mentions you'll need to go with the Thule rack as the factory cross bars will stop the glass from opening all the way. Looks like he did a great job, I'm planning on doing the same. Please let me know how it turns out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just got off the phone from speaking with a guy at Rack Attack. The Qtowers & setup that was supposed to fit the EDGE with VISTA PANORAMIC ROOF....

Have been DISCONTINUED!!!

SO.... Im stuck. Have a stinking SUV with no way to haul my kayak! The stinkin' salesman said they could put racks on this vehicle! LIAR!

Very upset. I really need my kayak chill time to chill... but i guess that is impossible at this point!

Just got off the phone from speaking with a guy at Rack Attack. The Qtowers & setup that was supposed to fit the EDGE with VISTA PANORAMIC ROOF....

Have been DISCONTINUED!!!

SO.... Im stuck. Have a stinking SUV with no way to haul my kayak! The stinkin' salesman said they could put racks on this vehicle! LIAR!

Very upset. I really need my kayak chill time to chill... but i guess that is impossible at this point!

Discontinued does not mean everyone's stock across the world immediately dissapears.

I would also want to know WHY the new system that replaces the Q-Towers will not work with the Vista roof. Height issues?

A few weeks ago I posted the picture of the Q-Tower setup directly from E-Trailer's website of the Q-Towers on the '15 Edge with the panoramic roof:

https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/y/0/y00409_2015~Ford~Edge_4_1000.jpg

If I remember correctly, that is the same exact setup I have on my '15 Edge (I don't have the pano roof). So here are the parts you would need:

Q Towers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012SFK8G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Q-131 Clip (REAR): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012SHJ0S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Q-64 Clip (FRONT): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012SHJU8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

58" Round Bars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012SFNEW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

End Caps (You may not need these if the bars come with them. My bars already had them in the box): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RL408U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the measurements for install (which they'll ask you to reference in the Q-Tower Install instructions):

M1: 43 5/8 "
M2: 13 "
M3: 44 1/2 "
M4: 32 "
m_qtower.png
  • Like 1

I really appreciate your reply. However, the guy at Rack Attack told me the reason being discontinued is because the panoramic (vista) roof has had too many issues. Including breakage.

So... i guess in the meantime i will have to obscond with my husband's car when i want to go kayaking. Of course, they means relinquishing my SUV to him! Haha

Oh well. He said when he gets rid of his car in the spring we will make sure i hey a vehicle that HAS Roof racks and capacity to carry a kayak! One summer of inconvenience. .. i guess i can live.

I really appreciate your reply. However, the guy at Rack Attack told me the reason being discontinued is because the panoramic (vista) roof has had too many issues. Including breakage.

So... i guess in the meantime i will have to obscond with my husband's car when i want to go kayaking. Of course, they means relinquishing my SUV to him! Haha

Oh well. He said when he gets rid of his car in the spring we will make sure i hey a vehicle that HAS Roof racks and capacity to carry a kayak! One summer of inconvenience. .. i guess i can live.

Whatever gets you on the water is all that matters in the end.

FYI...I'm heading up to the Adirondacks with some friends in September to do a 5 day paddle with our canoes. It'll be a first for me. Really looking forward to it.

• 1 year later...

I too feel your pain, in fact I still haven't gotten over my anger at Santa Monica Ford assuring me that the Edge would take roof racks and be able to carry my kayaks. I had wanted a hard top model but none were available. I was however able to purchase the Yakima towers and racks after Yakima themselves had said they would work. BUT after reading the forums I lack the confidence to take my fiberglass sea kayaks on the road.

2016 Edge with Kayak