Can You Install Factory Reverse Sensing After the Fact?

FordFanInBowie

Dealer tells me he can not buy and install the factory Ford reverse sensing system and install it on a 2007 Edge that did not come from the factory with it already. I asked why, how would a body shop repair the unit if someone got hit in the rear end and had to replace the factory unit? He says there is a modual on the transmission that comes from the factory on factory installed systems that he can not get.

Is this true? Can a Ford authorized dealer purchase and install the factory Ford reverse sensing system on an Edge that did not come this way? Can I buy the system and have a body shop install it? If so, where can I get it? I do not like the after market products that I have seen.

Thanks in advance - love the vehicle (and my Fusion) - you guys (and gals) are doing a GREAT job!!!

:beerchug:

I don't really know the answer to your question. However; I have the reverse sensors and I don't really think they are worth the money. For about the same amount or a little more, why wouldn't you just put in a reverse camera like a few people on here have spoken about?

And there is always the have-your-significant-other-stand-behind-you-as-you-back-up-yelling-"little-farther-little-farther-whoa-not that far" method.

:hysterical: Since it is HER car, I would then become the 'significant-other-stand-behind.' She got used to the reverse sensing on her Expy and while I brought home the right color, I missed on one option that she now considers a must (she doesn't like going to car dealers).

I'd really like a factory system, but it looks like I may have to go with one of these after market products if it contiues to be an issue.

:hysterical: Since it is HER car, I would then become the 'significant-other-stand-behind.' She got used to the reverse sensing on her Expy and while I brought home the right color, I missed on one option that she now considers a must (she doesn't like going to car dealers).

I'd really like a factory system, but it looks like I may have to go with one of these after market products if it contiues to be an issue.

My dealer told me before I bought mine that they can install reverse sensing if the vehicle didn't already have it and the only difference between their system and the factory system would be that the sensors in the bumper are black, not body colored. He never specified whether the system was in fact the factory version or not, and I never asked, because the Edge I bought already had it.

Edited by speedtrap63