2011 Edge Sport with snow tires? questions?

MikeCho

I will be getting my 2011 AWD Edge Sport soon. My question regarding snow tires is> What size do you recommend for the 2011 AWD Sport? Will any used 18" snow tires fit on the 2011? For example, buying four of them off Craigslist that were on a 2007-2010 Edge? Are the lugs the same size as in the matching order? I don't want to damage the rims by sliding in the snow and hitting potholes; plus I would like better traction assuming that the OEM 22" aren't very good.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I will be getting my 2011 AWD Edge Sport soon. My question regarding snow tires is> What size do you recommend for the 2011 AWD Sport? Will any used 18" snow tires fit on the 2011? For example, buying four of them off Craigslist that were on a 2007-2010 Edge? Are the lugs the same size as in the matching order? I don't want to damage the rims by sliding in the snow and hitting potholes; plus I would like better traction assuming that the OEM 22" aren't very good.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, the 18's from a 07-10' will fit on your 11' Sport, but they won't be hub centric. (Description) This doesn't really matter as most winter rims are not, but you can get the rings as described in the link to make them hub centric. You can't go the other way from an 11' to a 07-10' as the 11' hub is smaller (unless you drill it out...someone on here has done that too). If you search on here, you'll find the ring sizes needed. Be careful with the used prices as many people base them on dealer cost and you can get a new set of aftermarket rims for what many ask for their used set. I bought new 18's for my Sport for winters.

You can go as low as some 17's, but you need to be careful as not all have the same inner diameter and with a 17, the brakes are pretty tight. I'd stick with the 18's.

The 22's are not bad in the snow, I'm in Canada and had a few good snow falls before I picked up my winters. Like you, I just don't want to ruin the 22's and I'm also looking for real snow tires, the 22's are good for all seasons, but nothing beats good dedicated snow tires.

Cheers and Enjoy your new Edge!

Thank you for the info. I was on tirerack.com and I see they allow 17s for wheels but nice to know about inner diameter. I just wanted to get away with cheap snow tires w/rims that is why I figured people who sold their old 07-10 Edges had their snow tires that they need to get rid of. How much did your set up cost? Any recommendations regarding snow tires brands and rims?

Hi Mike,

Yes, the 18's from a 07-10' will fit on your 11' Sport, but they won't be hub centric. (Description) This doesn't really matter as most winter rims are not, but you can get the rings as described in the link to make them hub centric. You can't go the other way from an 11' to a 07-10' as the 11' hub is smaller (unless you drill it out...someone on here has done that too). If you search on here, you'll find the ring sizes needed. Be careful with the used prices as many people base them on dealer cost and you can get a new set of aftermarket rims for what many ask for their used set. I bought new 18's for my Sport for winters.

You can go as low as some 17's, but you need to be careful as not all have the same inner diameter and with a 17, the brakes are pretty tight. I'd stick with the 18's.

The 22's are not bad in the snow, I'm in Canada and had a few good snow falls before I picked up my winters. Like you, I just don't want to ruin the 22's and I'm also looking for real snow tires, the 22's are good for all seasons, but nothing beats good dedicated snow tires.

Cheers and Enjoy your new Edge!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I put 17's on my Edge Sport. They seem tiny compared to the stock 22's but it does the job.

Specifically, I put 245/65 Michelin Latitude X Ice and they seem to be holding up well.

See picture attached:

post-19387-0-27896100-1321681995_thumb.jpg

I went with 235/65/17 BFgoodrich Slalom KSI

(4) Black Steel Wheels

(4) 235/65/17 BFgoodrich Slalom KSI

(4) TPMS

Brand New Set up: installed, mounted, balanced , Taxes, enviro fees, OTD $ 1,194 Canadian (- Minus $50 BFgoodrich mail in rebate, dealer 100 bonus air miles) Total OTD Cost $ $1,144

The dealer reprogrammed my edge sport awd to match the new tire size so the speedo is accurate

Fitment is good and no clearance issues

The only difference i felt in the braking and handling was it seemed a bit easier to turn the steering wheel, less resistance

Update

Gas mileage and acceleration has improved with the smaller tires

Edited by tmbubell

I like it; it looks Bad Ass! How much was the total and break down and which rims are they? I have the same black model.

Mike

I got mine from TireRack - great service, fast delivery, good price.

18" x 8" wheels

245/60R18 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires

TPMS

I wasn't sure about the wheels until I installed them but to be honest, I kind of like the blacked out look. (loosecannon - what do you think?)

• 2 weeks later...

On a slightly different note, I also purchased the TPMS tool for $45 and never actually used it. I was waiting for the tire indicator to come on but so far, nothing.

The OEM wheels are stored about 60' away from the garage so I can't believe that the system is detecting them and I've taken it on a couple of 2 day trips away from home, so I'm not convinced that the system is actually working.

I actually dropped the pressure in one of the tires down to about 20lbs or so and then drove it around a couple of blocks to see if it would trigger. I didn't want to to put any real mileage on it when it was under-inflated so I inflated everything back to the correct pressure and have been driving it like that ever since. Either way, no TPMS indicator after about a month of having them on.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got my Blizzaks along with new rims installed from Discount Tire on my Edge Sport AWD today. I can hardly wait for a good snow fall to try them out. I did notice that my Edge Sport AWD has better acceleration due to the tire sized and weight (Stock 22" are heavy). Just guessing, but I bet my 0-60 time is more like 7 seconds flat now. It actually squawks the tires on take off. Handling seems the same. These tires look mean and cool with the rims. I almost think they look better than the stock 22"s.

I did notice a vibration in the steering wheel and I have to bring it back to get it checked out. I asked about the Hub Centric rings and they told me that I didn't need it. I got the P245/60R/18 Blizzak DM-V1 and MB Wheels Alpina rims.

What do you guys think?

Mike~

These are my 18" winters, with the P245/60R/18 Blizzak DM-V1 as well. It was between these and the Monarch's Dr.Edge picked up. I liked the polished lip.

Re: Centric Rings - Some will say you don't NEED them. Most people go with non centric steel wheels w/ no rings for winter, but you're unlikely to get them centered perfectly without the rings, which will result in the vibrations you're experiencing. Now you don't know if its a centering issue, or a balance issue. You'll get mixed comments some installers won't even put them on without rings, other say they are not important. For $10 in plastic, I say get them, if you can get the info on the rims to pick up the right size. I was the one that helped Tire Rack get the right hub size on the rim below and on the 2011 Sport, they had both details wrong in the system and sent me 3 sets of rings until I had the right ones.

plat_apex_bml_ci3_l.jpg