Cabin squeak / rattle

My '11 Edge's interior has been super quiet for 11 months. Just a few days ago I started getting a squeaking/rattling noise in the interior. My passenger says it is coming from the center stack area...in the vicinity of the Touch screen. I can't pinpoint it.

Has anyone else experience squeaks coming from the dash area in their Edge? I see where there are complaints and a TSB for a squeaky seat. Could this be what I am hearing?

My '11 Edge's interior has been super quiet for 11 months. Just a few days ago I started getting a squeaking/rattling noise in the interior. My passenger says it is coming from the center stack area...in the vicinity of the Touch screen. I can't pinpoint it.

Has anyone else experience squeaks coming from the dash area in their Edge? I see where there are complaints and a TSB for a squeaky seat. Could this be what I am hearing?

I'm experiencing a rattle right behind the steering wheel just under the soft leather. I can stop the vibration by pushing on the plastic part under the soft leather. My it's the same problem? I'll get it checked on my next visit to Ford.

Does this rattle change depending on airflow? Try some different fan speeds as well as shutting down ALL heating and AC to see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure if its a balance door or one of the flaps that diverts air to different vents that decides to squeak periodically. Annoying as all hell for awhile, then goes away for many weeks.

Does this rattle change depending on airflow? Try some different fan speeds as well as shutting down ALL heating and AC to see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure if its a balance door or one of the flaps that diverts air to different vents that decides to squeak periodically. Annoying as all hell for awhile, then goes away for many weeks.

Good idea. I will focus on the HVAC settings. Heck it may be when my passenger closes her right vent.

Turns out that the squeak was coming from the passenger sun visor. The clip that the visor snaps into is loose. The screw is tight but it's not attached to anything behind the headliner. I have to be careful when pulling the visor out of the clip because it acts like it will pull the headliner down.

(Adding this to my growing list of stuff to have fixed.)

• 5 years later...

I just recently bought a 2011 Ford Edge SEL and I am hearing a chirping noise that sounds like it is coming from above the glove box in the dash somewhere. I thought it was a fan motor going bad but I I can completely turn the a/c and vents off and still hear this noise. It only starts making the noise around 40-45 mph and becomes increasingly louder and is constant as I accelerate. As I decelerate and brake it stops almost instantly. However, it happens every time I drive the vehicle like clockwork. I would really like to know if other's have had this issue, and if so, how did they resolve it.

Hi. It doesn't make the noise if turning because the noise goes away when you slow down below 40mph or when applying the brakes. I just bought the vehicle. So, I don't know what has been done to the vehicle as of late. Carfax is somewhat ambiguous on service records. There are almost 72K miles on it. I've been told that a belt driven pulley bearing or a passenger axle shaft carrier bearing could be going bad. I really appreciate your reply. Any additional help or thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

could be, but cant say for sure. do you know how long the Edge was on the lot? Carfax history should give you an approximation, as it will list the date the dealer put it up for sale. If it was sitting for more than a couple of months (even less in extreme weather), very probably the pads started binding to the rotor so there could be chunks of pad on the rotor, not visible but enough to make the braking uneven. Also sounds like the caliper slide pins are not moving freely sometimes, and that means the pistons and hence the pads are not being evenly applied. Also pads COULD be worn, though OEM pads can last a long time.

Summary? Service brakes first. Grease those caliper slide pins. May even want to change pads & rotors TBH. Fresh start. New 2 U does not mean New, unfortunately.