For those who have, how difficult is installing remote start?

For those who have installed a remote start system on their edge, how difficult was it? Does it require running wires through the wirewall or installing a hood pop button? I have read in some places taht this is required and in other places it is not. Is the level of involvement related to wether or not your edge has a factory perimeter alarm (do all 2007 edges have this)?

For reference, I am considering installing this remote start (if my key fob idea in another topic doesn't work)

http://accessories.ford.com/remote-start-bi-directional-100-series.html

I've done a few and they are not hard to do if you KNOW what you're doing. I now find it much easier to drop it off at the local Auto One store and give them $160.00 to install a nice Directed Electronics remote start. DEI makes some really nice remote starts. The one they just put in for me is a DEI Avital single button.

I've done a few and they are not hard to do if you KNOW what you're doing. I now find it much easier to drop it off at the local Auto One store and give them $160.00 to install a nice Directed Electronics remote start. DEI makes some really nice remote starts. The one they just put in for me is a DEI Avital single button.

I have to agree. however 160 usually doesnt include a bypass for the chip in the key (and if they did include it for you that was a hell of a deal). Most shops will usually do 150 to 200 for a basic rs unit like you are talking about. then another 75 to 100 for the bypass needed. I believe you will stll need some sort of bypass for that ford unit also.

on a side note. in my 09 sport i did a complete rs/alarm (but i was a installer for 10 years) and i thought it was an easy vehicle.

Edited by baum