Forcing a reboot

wilsons66604

Yesterday, my Touch system started acting up. FM was the only audio it would play. I was hoping it would do the automatic reboot but it didn't. After a couple of hours, I did the Master Reset from the menu. The only thing that did was to wipe out my data and settings. Finally, Touch rebooted and it began working again.

It sure would be nice to reboot at will without pulling the fuse.

I think I just got the answer from drpepper on the Sync forum. He said that the patch for the Sirius radio (see attached) included a reboot in it.

I'm going to give it a try later today.

Looking at the files in the patch, I see the script for what it runs....

[SYNCGen2_ALL]

Item1 = Sirius GCI Update Fix

Open1 = BT4T-14D546-GA.cab

Item2 = delayed Reboot

Open2 = DelayedReboot.cab

Options = AutoInstall, RenameLst

I wonder if I can edit this and just have it do the reboot without the Sirius update...

[sYNCGen2_ALL]

Item1 = delayed Reboot

Open1 = DelayedReboot.cab

Options = AutoInstall, RenameLst

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

see post below for the install

Edited by wilsons66604

The other option I am now looking more seriously at is to add a switch to the fuse and mount the switch in the cubby behind the center stack. I mentioned it in another thread and someone said they already did it. I figure you should be able to use one of those fuse taps to wire in the switch. Right now I think this might have to be my weekend project as 2.11 has made our MFT completely useless. We have had more locks, reboots and just blank screens in one week than we did in the first five weeks of ownership.

The other option I am now looking more seriously at is to add a switch to the fuse and mount the switch in the cubby behind the center stack. I mentioned it in another thread and someone said they already did it. I figure you should be able to use one of those fuse taps to wire in the switch. Right now I think this might have to be my weekend project as 2.11 has made our MFT completely useless. We have had more locks, reboots and just blank screens in one week than we did in the first five weeks of ownership.

You can't use a fusetap unless you remove the sync fuse and put the fusetap on another circuit. Just find the right wire and put the switch in-line with the wire.

If you continue to have problems with 2.11 you may have a bad APIM.

Fuse tap I have gives you two fuse slots....one for the original one for the new circuit. For this idea you would use the original then one of those fuses that has pigtails. These pigtails would be wired to a switch that you can open/close at will which would be the same as pulling the fuse.

As for the bad APIM module I guess anything is possible but most of my issues started with the upgrade, seems too coincidental to me. I wonder if Ford has some variability between parts that are causing many of these issues. Maybe there are some driver issues or something.

Just in time. My Touch system went stupid again today.

I plugged in a USB stick with the DelayedReboot file on it. It installed in about 10 seconds. Turned off the car and waited 30 seconds. When I restarted, the system rebooted!

To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did it again. This is will be a big help.

Here are the instructions included in the zip file...Enjoy! :happy feet:

UPDATE: I made a slight mod to the install so it would not rename the files. This will allow you to keep the USB stick in the car and use it over and over again without reloading it.

When the download is complete, unzip the patch to a flash drive.

[NOTE: Be sure to unzip the patch directly onto the flash drive, not into an existing folder.]

--INSTALLING THE REBOOT SOFTWARE IN YOUR VEHICLE:

1. Start your vehicle and turn on the audio system.

2. Insert your flash drive (containing the patch) into your vehicle's USB port.

3. The installation process will begin automatically, and should take about 10 seconds to complete. A dialog box will let you know when the patch has been successfully installed. When the installation is complete, remove your flash drive from the USB port.

4. Turn off your vehicle's ignition for at least 30 seconds so that the system can reboot.

5. After at least 30 seconds have passed, start your vehicle again. Your vehicle's screen may be black for up to a minute. Then the "Performing scheduled system maintenance" screen will appear, and will last for a few minutes.

Delayed_Reboot.zip

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 2

Fuse tap I have gives you two fuse slots....one for the original one for the new circuit. For this idea you would use the original then one of those fuses that has pigtails. These pigtails would be wired to a switch that you can open/close at will which would be the same as pulling the fuse.

None of the pigtail fuses or add-a-circuit fuses actually interrupt the original circuit in the fuse itself - it just adds a new wire to the same circuit. You would need a fuse that isn't connected in the fuse itself but has 2 pigtail leads - one from each side of the fuse - and those you could wire together with a switch. But I can't find one like that. Otherwise the original fuse 29 circuit is still intact and won't be controlled by the switch.

It's not the same as pulling the fuse. If you don't understand I can try to draw a picture.

Hi,

I'm a new Ford Edge 2011 owner and found another way to reboot sync, The following video:

will show you another way. I looked into the fuse pulling and it seemed rather risky and the video shows a much easier and simpler way. I hope this video helps you and others. One final thing, I didn't make this video and if the solution offered works for you, please thank the guy who discovered it.

P.S. When I did what the video suggested, it did wipe my navigation but not my stereo / sat radio preferences.

Edited by stabbey

Hi,

I'm a new Ford Edge 2011 owner and found another way to reboot sync, The following video:

will show you another way. I looked into the fuse pulling and it seemed rather risky and the video shows a much easier and simpler way. I hope this video helps you and others. One final thing, I didn't make this video and if the solution offered works for you, please thank the guy who discovered it.

Interesting. Pulling the power to the fuse box. Not that much different than pulling the fuse. I still have to get down on my hands and knees.

This USB reboot is MUCH easier. I can do it from the driver's seat.

Interesting. Pulling the power to the fuse box. Not that much different than pulling the fuse. I still have to get down on my hands and knees.

This USB reboot is MUCH easier. I can do it from the driver's seat.

It does at least save a person from having to figure out which fuse, or dropping it. Or dropping the wrench down into the pits of the engine area when you are trying to connect the battery back up. Not that I know about that personally or anything, um... yeah, so....

But I do like your fix Scott of the jump drive, since then you shouldn't have to fix all of your preferences and stuff again right?

It does at least save a person from having to figure out which fuse, or dropping it. Or dropping the wrench down into the pits of the engine area when you are trying to connect the battery back up. Not that I know about that personally or anything, um... yeah, so....

But I do like your fix Scott of the jump drive, since then you shouldn't have to fix all of your preferences and stuff again right?

Right. The system retains all the settings. Similar to puling the fuse 29 or doing the "scheduled service" reboot.

The guy in the video did say he lost all his settings didn't he? That's a result of pulling the power for too many circuits (like pulling the battery cable).

None of the pigtail fuses or add-a-circuit fuses actually interrupt the original circuit in the fuse itself - it just adds a new wire to the same circuit. You would need a fuse that isn't connected in the fuse itself but has 2 pigtail leads - one from each side of the fuse - and those you could wire together with a switch. But I can't find one like that. Otherwise the original fuse 29 circuit is still intact and won't be controlled by the switch.

It's not the same as pulling the fuse. If you don't understand I can try to draw a picture.

Not quite true...you need to find one that is for testing the circuit but yes the majority found in auto parts stores do as you say. The one I have/had is rather old and actually has pigtails and no fuseable link but the newer ones give you tabs to connect a meter to.

Back to Wilsons66604 finding...just wish you didn't have to restart the car. Would really like some fix that you can do while motoring down the highway. Or can you continue and let it do its thing and eventually it reboots is back to normal just that you are driving for a minute or so without the MFT functioning? Is there a requirement to shut off and restart?

Not quite true...you need to find one that is for testing the circuit but yes the majority found in auto parts stores do as you say. The one I have/had is rather old and actually has pigtails and no fuseable link but the newer ones give you tabs to connect a meter to.

Back to Wilsons66604 finding...just wish you didn't have to restart the car. Would really like some fix that you can do while motoring down the highway. Or can you continue and let it do its thing and eventually it reboots is back to normal just that you are driving for a minute or so without the MFT functioning? Is there a requirement to shut off and restart?

I installed it while driving but nothing happens until you turn off the car and wait 30 seconds. (This DelayedReboot.cab was included in the Sirius patch.)

The next time Ford releases an update, I'll check to see if there is a ImmediateReboot.cab that we can use. The 2.11 Sync update rebooted several times w/o shutting the car off.

(does anyone have the 2.11 update still on your USB stick? If so, can I get a copy?)

Edited by wilsons66604

Well I was going by what was available today but as long as you understand how it works you're fine. I wasn't sure.

I installed it while driving but nothing happens until you turn off the car and wait 30 seconds. (This DelayedReboot.cab was included in the Sirius patch.)

The next time Ford releases an update, I'll check to see if there is a ImmediateReboot.cab that we can use. The 2.11 Sync update rebooted several times w/o shutting the car off.

(does anyone have the 2.11 update still on your USB stick? If so, can I get a copy?)

Damn...was hoping it was similar to the update like you mentioned. Unfortunately I deleted mine so I can't help you there. But onto what Akirby mentioned earlier...where is it defined what delayedreboot is? Maybe if that is modified then you can make it work however you want. That would be super slick and almost easy enough that I think I could get the wife to do it on her own.

Damn...was hoping it was similar to the update like you mentioned. Unfortunately I deleted mine so I can't help you there. But onto what Akirby mentioned earlier...where is it defined what delayedreboot is? Maybe if that is modified then you can make it work however you want. That would be super slick and almost easy enough that I think I could get the wife to do it on her own.

It's a compiled CAB file that I can't modify.

It is simple to install. The system will reboot the next time you start the car.

What I did was install a switch inline with the power circuit to the APIM and then mounted it behind the glove box door so that it's hidden except for when it starts to misbehave and you just lean over, open the glove box, and power it off and then back on. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is in motion or not.

It works great and it's so satisfying to feel like you have control over it, rather than the other way around.

Yesterday, my Touch system started acting up. FM was the only audio it would play. I was hoping it would do the automatic reboot but it didn't. After a couple of hours, I did the Master Reset from the menu. The only thing that did was to wipe out my data and settings. Finally, Touch rebooted and it began working again.

It sure would be nice to reboot at will without pulling the fuse.

I think I just got the answer from drpepper on the Sync forum. He said that the patch for the Sirius radio (see attached) included a reboot in it.

I'm going to give it a try later today.

<snip>

Thank you for posting this solution and thanks also to akirby for pointing me in this direction from the Focus forums. Can you expand upon what the Sirius update/patch that you mentioned was for and how it is obtained/applied? I haven't been able to find any other similar issues posted and yours is the first reference I've seen to a Sirius update/patch. I'm having a problem with Sirius Travel Link on my '12 Focus with MFT/Nav. Not getting real time updates for fuel prices, weather etc. It was working correctly but stopped. I've verified my subscription status for all services and Sirius has advised me to check with Ford. I intend to try your USB reboot solution to see if it has any effect on my problem. Thanks again.

Edited by mrgdr57

Wilsons66604- Glad my tip helped. There IS a straight "reboot" app for MFT/ MLT that can go on a usb & does NOT need vehicle restart. I just plug it in while driving- with in 2 secs it forces reboot & I unplug & put it back in the glove box. I recevied it from a Ford IT tech. He is perplexed as to why it is not built in or made avail to gen public - but is out trumped by the higher ups. He also states that they had to tie it to an indiv vin before he could release it to me & others. So it is not like I could just post it for others to use. He was the one that stated it was safe to use the Sirius patch delayed reboot. The sync forum refuses to answer why it can not be made avail to wide public & then screens posts that go into detail. Hope that helps.

Thank you for posting this solution and thanks also to akirby for pointing me in this direction from the Focus forums. Can you expand upon what the Sirius update/patch that you mentioned was for and how it is obtained/applied? I haven't been able to find any other similar issues posted and yours is the first reference I've seen to a Sirius update/patch. I'm having a problem with Sirius Travel Link on my '12 Focus with MFT/Nav. Not getting real time updates for fuel prices, weather etc. It was working correctly but stopped. I've verified my subscription status for all services and Sirius has advised me to check with Ford. I intend to try your USB reboot solution to see if it has any effect on my problem. Thanks again.

The Sirius Patch was released after Sirius changed their channel line up. It only address the new channels and not Travel Link issues.

I came across the patch on the SyncMyRide forums.