What made you choose your Edge?

• 6 months later...

I WAS WAITING FOR THE 2015 Murano but the 2014 EDGE sport had many incentives...& 0% rates.Every time I looked at the murano I knew the sport was for me..Bought a 14 Sport platinum in July of14 with a build date 06/14.Was looking at a ruby red with a build date 02/14.this one was at the dealership all winter.Got a better deal but took the platinum..Love the sport .Will be leaving soon for Florida for the winter.Can't wait to get on the highway!!!Will update...

• 1 month later...

The Edge was never on my radar screen until ten months ago. I'd bought a new 2012 Taurus SEL (equipped as well or better than most limited models) with FWD thinking I was done with car buying for a while. The car rode and drove very well. it got great mileage and handled the 3 1/2 hour drives to and from Road America with ease. But the visibility looking out from that car sucked!! You had to be a contortionist to clean the rear window. it didn't handle snow and ice worth a damn. It required a separate set of snow tires and wheels just get it moving during the winter months. One day i was struggling to get out of the uphill driveway in the apartment complex and watched a neighbor pull that hill like an Aerial Square 4 at a hill climb event. Nothing to it.

Ā 

The research began and it started with a 2013 Explorer base model with AWD. It's a nice ride but a single guy really doesn't need a 7 passenger vehicle. It was just too big. Plus the base model was a tad bit on the Spartan side. In the meantime the weather cleared up and spring arrived. Car shopping wasn't a priority.

Ā 

As winter approaches I began to think seriously about getting something with AWD. How many times did I walk past an Edge with nary a glance? I was at the dealer getting the Taurus serviced. They were unloading a Ruby Red Limited AWD at the time. The same salesman demonstrating the Explorer was there and I asked about the Edge sitting outside his office.

Ā 

We went off on a test drive and that was it. The visibility is excellent. There is plenty of room for passengers and gear for race weekends. It had a factory installed trailer hitch. I've had moon roofs in my cars dating back to about 1984. The Edge doesn't have a moon roof. It has an observatory.It is incredibly quiet and smooth. With the Taurus all I had to do to induce wheel spin was have the front tires on the white line at a stop light during a rain storm. I don't have particularly heavy foot. The traction control kicked in normally. But it still allowed some spin. That same traction test with the AWD Edge is like night and day. There is zero spin. The machine just digs in and goes. Bring on winter. I'm ready.

Ā 

By the way, the neighbor climbing the hill out of the driveway was driving an Edge Sport.

• Like 3

I need to retire my Pacifica with 185,000 miles. It's been a great car, very few issues. A few factors: 1) I am committed to buying an American product. 2) Ford didn't take the bail-out $ 3) While I do a lot of my own wrenching, the owner of the shop that does the stuff I don't do tells me that he is very impressed with the new Ford products 4) While CR panned the Edge, they did the Pacifica as well, but in my case they were totally wrong, the Pac has been great & I expect the Edge to be as well. 5) The model year close-out incentives were outstanding. 5) I rented one for a few days & really liked it....a lot. 6) back-up camera & BLIS

Ā 

I have to wait a few more weeks for it to get here, I am very gassed up!

Ā 

jeff

Edited by jeffcarl
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess I have never said this but when I started shopping I had 5 cars on my list and honestly an Edge was not one of them. I looked at a Passat TDI, Nissan Murano, Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue, and Toyota Venza. I test drove at least one of each of the following and three different Escapes. I loved the Escape and MFT and all the awesome tech, but I was leary about getting a 2013. I've always been told to hold off on a first year model or to even wait for a refresh. Well my mom finally saw an Edge and said it looked bigger. I liked the size but really wanted at least the same gas mileage as the car I was getting rid of and the V6 just didn't get quite that. Well I test drove two V6 Edges one a CPO 2011 SEL and one a CPO 2012 Limited. I loved the way if felt and drove. Didn't like the SEL because it didn't have nav or the vista roof and didn't like the gas mileage. Well lucky enough one day when I was doing a test drive blitz in Fort Worth I test drove a 2011 Sport Fully loaded. Loved to again, but not the mileage. My brother luckily found a 2012 CPO Limited Ecoboost. Gas Mileage was high enough for me and I loved to way it handled and felt. I finally found my ride. Did the deal and drove it home that night. Had to drive it back to Fort Worth three days later to get a paint touch up on the bumper that was scraped because the car was only traded in that morning and when I came to test drive it it really hadn't even been fully detailed and their was no stickers or anything. I feel lucky to have found it. The only car I really think I would have liked better was a BMW 335d that I test drove, but it was to small for me and I would have had to wait at least 8 months save up for a X5 35d. I also think I lucked out on maintenance costs. Needless to say that is my story. Been the owner now for 2 and a half years and am looking forward to at least 8 more years if not longer.

• 1 month later...

I was beginning to wonder if we were the only ones who hated the Escape seats. Especially the passenger side which was still manual on the 2014 Ti. It literally felt like you were sitting on a 2 inch thick phone book.

Ā 

That was the first and only time I've bought a vehicle and had trouble with the seats. Now we won't buy anything without an extended test drive with both of us sitting in both seats. The MKX seats are fantastic although I could use another inch of width and depth. The Edge seats we test drove were also good but not as comfy as the MKX.

• Like 1

I have a MKC and the seats are very comfortable. We took a 1500 mile trip in the Escape. It was pure torture even for my wife. The Escape had pass/driver 10 way seats and we could not get them adjusted. Our dealer gives us 4 hour test drives. The one where we bought the Escape wouldn't fo it....should have walked away then.

Edited by Hermans

• 4 weeks later...

Due to our circumstances, we were forced to emergency shop. We had previously planned on waiting until she was back to work. She would be getting a Wrangler Unlimited.

Ā 

We spent the weekend leading up to 'my weekend', checking out every possible option she might possibly want and we could afford.

Ā 

We spent two crazy days eliminating all options.

Ā 

It came down to the Chrysler Pacifica, Nissan Murano or a 2006 Grand Cherokee Hemi.

Ā 

She liked the Pacifica, but the center console protrudes too far out into my leg.

We did not get to drive the Murano, but "it feels to small inside"

We did not drive the Hemi, but other Grand Cherokees felt more top heavy than her previous vehicle.

Ā 

Evening time comes. Get the kids home and out of riding in the Mustang all day.

We decide to head over the local Chevy dealer. It is the only new car dealer in our area.

We head to their use lot to eliminate Mid-sized GM SUV's. As my wife browsed the Edge in the lot, it was way too much.

He brought back the keys and said the sales manager wants it gone. Here is the bottom price. That was less than I could have expected.

Ā 

We drove it home. Checked it out closer. She loved it. Loved the sun screens. The handling was much better than the Cherokee. Interior space was improved over the Murano. She has never been so excited about learning about a vehicle. Not the brand new van she had to have in 2006. Not even the Mustang we brought home a few years ago that left her grinning whenever she drove it.

Ā 

It's only been 24 hours....

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

Ā 

I purchased a used 2016 Edge Titanium this week after months of research. This is our first Ford after 5 VWs (Still have one of them).

Ā 

Ultimately it came down to cargo space and looks. We shopped around but it seems that as soon as you went up a model from the CRVs, RAV4s, Rouges you usually ended up with a 3rd row which we probably would seldom use. We did look at a friends' Sorrento and at the Santa Fe, but ultimately we kept coming back to the Edge and I found myself browsing inventory more and more which sorta told us this is where we were leaning.

Ā 

Only had it for a few days and we're away for a mini break to the mountains for New Years so we'll see how it goes. It has big boots to fill, but i'm excited to get some solid seat time with it. :shift:

Ā 

cheers,

Alan

• 3 years later...

I've been driving since I was 15 years old and have had a two car system since I was 18. My last set of cars in 2017 was a modded 05 Chrysler 300C and a 10 Mazda 3 sport hatchback but I was ready to get into newer model vehicles so I began researching different makes and models on Edmunds and test driving literally everything. I sold my 300C and bought a very low miles 16 Mustang GT with performance package and was quite impressed with the technology, handling, mileage,Ā power, plus the great design and still get tons of compliments whenever I drive it. So I decided to sell the Mazda (it was my daily) and find something sexier and more fun to drive with more cargo room and definitely MoĀ power bebeĀ !

Ā 

I read about the Edge 1.5 Gen and was pretty much sold on getting a CUV. Got lucky finding an excellent condition 2012 Limited with all the options for only 6k and I've had an all Ford lineup since.

Ā 

Specifically the Edge checked all the boxes for me which was:

Ā 

Powerful V6 engine and smooth transmission

Better visibility

Handling

Comfortable and spacious

Cargo space

Tech

Stylish design

Great mileage

Reliable and low maintenance

Fun to drive and good for road trips

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Live n Misery

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Having to give up my company Mondeo I wanted to get a large SUV to replace it.

I looked at, and test drove the following vehicles, the largest SUVs availableĀ in the UK:

• Jeep GrandeĀ Cherokee;
  • Range Rover;
  • Jaguar F Pace;
  • Volvo XC90;
  • VWĀ Touareg; and
  • Ford Edge.

I chose the Edge because it provided me with what I was looking for at by far the best value. Was one of the best looking too.

I had owned Fords for years (the car's layout, controls and features were all very familiar to me), found them to be very reliable and they had the largest dealer network with a dealership within a few miles.

84a8fd08-1bb2-4e4c-8e2b-226ba298d27b.jpg

Edited by niceonept

I had never driven a Ford Edge and couldn't do that being abroad at the time of purchase.

Ā 

For me it was styling, specifications, online reviews, and assistance from members here that helped me with my decision.

Ā 

I bought my 2017 Sport, sight unseen, using internet andĀ  email with the dealership and on my return to the US on 9 March 2017 they picked me up from the airport and from there to the dealership and took delivery of my Sport, and I'm still happy with every aspect of my purchase.

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My wife likes her 2012 Limited Edge because it's just the right size. We didn't need or want a 3 row vehicle, and when on trips....my handicapped daughter rides in frot, and my wife in rear. The Edge has awesome back seat comfort. Lots of leg room. Same as the fronts. Car will be 10 years old this winter, has 76000 on it now....and it's been an awesome vehicle for the family. Also have a Honda CRV, but it's a big step down from the Edge (costs less also). Will be buying something new this winter. Looking at the Lincoln Nautilus.....but don't really see any advantage in it over a Titanium Edge. And I'm not sure I like being seen in something so cash wasteful. So will probably get another Edge. Like the idea of the new Intelligent AWD, but here in Florida, don't need it. But may still get it.Ā 

Edited by RJG

• 2 months later...

Hey y'all,

Ā 

Nick here. I just bought my 16 Edge Titanium and so far I'm thrilled with it. I've always been a driving "purist," standard transmissions, no creature comforts, no techy jazz...until now.

I needed a larger vehicle to accommodate work needs and my Mini Countryman just wasn't cutting it. I battled the decision to "shift" to an automatic trans, thought I could balance my loves with like a Subaru, researched everything on four wheels for wheels, and I landed on the Edge. It had to have AWD, decent fuel econ., and if it was on the menu...a few of the creature comforts...

I live in Austin and drove to Houston for a Titanium...best decision ever. I LOVE this vehicle. The sales agent told me the thing was lit up with every feature Ford has and she was not exaggerating in the least...there are at least five things that this machine does that used to require me to use my phone while driving(streaming music, text reading, navigation, etc.), I love the power liftgate, the power folding seats, the second row air vents for my dog...and the vista roof? Just awesome.

Ā 

I'm a little wary of a factory turbo's function and lifespan, and I worry a little bit about the motors for the sunroof and liftgate over time, so those mechanical areas are going to be my primary research here on the forum. In the big picture, though, I feel a lot better about getting future repairs done on an American car, instead of the effectively-British/French Mini Countryman I had, with their franchise Mini/BMW service rates!

Ā 

Cheers, happy to be here,

Ā 

Nick

Ā 

My previous 3 vehicles where an Explorer and Mountaineers going back a good 20 years. I really was not impressed with the latest explorer generation, It felt too boxy for me. The dealer had a '13 Sport on the lot with low miles and it fit the budjet even with the maintenance plan. The passenger cabin has enough room for my lanky self and there is actually more back seat room for the passengers. Plus there is enough bells and whistles to keep me occupied. So far I am happy with it.

Ā