Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

What made you choose your Edge?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Edgey

Edgey

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:30 PM

Why did I choose an Edge? Hrm...

I like its styling and I'm pleased there is very little, "badging," on the exterior of the Edge. The amenities offered on the vehicle appeal to me, and it has a smooth ride for a crossover. Whereas it's many safety features weren't a determining factor in my purchasing decision, they are most certainly a welcome bonus. The 3.5L powerplant combined with it's suspension tuning give the Edge a peppy feel on the road; it acquits itself well in all manner of traffic/highway situations.

I like its practicality. The interior is spacious and comfortable with plenty of room for several people. The Edge's stated gas mileage was acceptable to me and after about 600 miles on the clock my real world observations bear those numbers out (so far pulling down around 19 mpg).

Overall, the Edge seems to be a good value for the money and I'm very happy with it.

The Edge is a complete departure from my previous car: a 2006 Pontiac GTO. It was a fun car to drive, but that's about it. Considering how much I'm enjoying my new Edge, it's obvious to me that I needed a departure :D

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Edgeguy

Edgeguy

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

I chose my Edge because of the good looks, complete option package and availability of AWD. I was a long time GM guy and most recently two-time Chev Trailblazer driver (2002, 2004) and wanted something different.

The Edge is good on gas, rides and handles excellent. I took delivery of a new SEL AWD in May and have 24,000 km's so far. Like others, I initially didn't like the headrests, but don't notice anymore.

Overall a great vehicle. Well done Ford!

Edited by Edgeguy, 15 October 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   xplorgee

xplorgee

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

Its a fun vehicle to drive. It rides well, I can put all I need in it and it doesnt kill me on gas. It also looks sex and I get a lot of looks and compliments.

#44 OFFLINE   CreamEDGE.

CreamEDGE.

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

Lol at some of the comments, the CX-9 feeling underpowered, mostly.
I got the best of both worlds, a turbocharged excellent performing wonder, and sleek looker.
And the night on the town, BAMR having smooth sailer.
I love it.

#45 OFFLINE   debjones

debjones

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

We were visiting my sister last month and she had just purchased a new 07 Edge. I loved the look and BAMER. The interior was very comfortable and I am 6'4" and 275 lbs, so I wanted leg room and seat room. As we drove home in our Buick Rendezvous we decided to just look at the Edge. We liked the safety rating from the IIHS crash tests and side curtain air bags for the safety of our kids. We also took advantage of my sister's A plan before it was set to expire.

We have had it only four days, but my wife is really happy and so am I.

Love our new 07 SEL plus AWD!

#46 OFFLINE   irishtom

irishtom

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

My wife hated driving and riding in my 06 F-150, a basic work truck with a 6 cylinder and stick shift, rubber floors, crank windows. I liked it though for it's simplicity and honesty.

So anyway we decided to get a station wagon and the Edge fit the bill---very sharp styling, excellent ride and handling, good pick-up, fun to drive. We got a loaded one with leather, heated seats, sunroof and so on and it got me over my Cadillac CTS envy: we had an 05 CTS which we traded in last year on a Saab convertible and I really missed the CTS. The Edge is nicely comparable to the CTS in feel and, oh I dunno, All American style koolness. The Saab is nice but not cool, know what I mean? Kind of a metrasexual's car.

Today my wife took the Edge and I'm stuck with the Saab. The Saab is supposed to be "her" car. ;)

Edited by irishtom, 29 November 2007 - 02:51 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   carbonedge+

carbonedge+

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 480 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:56 PM

A station wagon has none of the characteristics you just described about your Edge...

#48 OFFLINE   Phoenix

Phoenix

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

My '98 Explorer had 228,000 miles on it and the transmission was starting to slip. Okay, it was actually slipping. I loved it still, it had been wonderful to me, butchaknow...it was time.

I test drove everything under the sun, it seemed, for weeks.

I visited the Lexus, Toyota, GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Volkswagen, Nissan, Saturn, Mercury etc lots, I drove cars, trucks, SUVs and CUVs just to drive some of them. The two that surprised me were the Lexus 400h (for a $50,000 car, I expected luxury. It's all there, but no zha zha zhu) and the Saturn Outlook. Couldn't find the Outlook equipped the way I wanted it, didn't figure I had time to order one before the Explorer gave up the ghost.

I figured I'd just go buy an Expedition. I'd put off driving the Explorer and Expedition for some reason. And after driving them....I didn't like them.

Walking out of the Ford lot, something I hadn't noticed before caught my eye. I drove it. I LOVED it. Open, well equipped, cool featured, tight turning radius, smooth stopping, smooth riding, nimble, AWD, decent gas mileage, doesn't look like a station wagon, Edge.

And, WOW! X-plan thru the office.

Done.

I might have bought the one I drove, but it was black and I live in Phoenix. Black cars with black leather interiors? In Phoenix? One word: insane.

So, I bought the AWD creme brulee SEL+ with a camel interior, the vista roof and some other stuff. Added DVD headrests and haven't looked back.

#49 OFFLINE   Edgieguy

Edgieguy

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,178 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

NICE I love reading this thread. Im going for test drive 3 this week. Might be giving up the 2005 Escape for an 08 Edge. Keep the posts coming!

#50 OFFLINE   irishtom

irishtom

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (carbonedge+ @ Nov 29 2007, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A station wagon has none of the characteristics you just described about your Edge...

Evidently they do now being that the Edge is a station wagon.

#51 OFFLINE   carbonedge+

carbonedge+

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (irishtom @ Nov 30 2007, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Evidently they do now being that the Edge is a station wagon.

Is not...my parents had station wagons the Edge is no station wagon. A variation maybe, but not a station wagon. When was a station wagon of very sharp styling, excellent ride and handling, good pick-up, fun to drive??? Only one that was modified for drag racing!

#52 OFFLINE   irishtom

irishtom

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (carbonedge+ @ Nov 30 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is not...my parents had station wagons the Edge is no station wagon. A variation maybe, but not a station wagon. When was a station wagon of very sharp styling, excellent ride and handling, good pick-up, fun to drive??? Only one that was modified for drag racing!

In the 1950s and 60s. Consider the Chevy Nomad or that in 1965 one could order a Chevrolet Bel-Air wagon with a 425HP 396, 4-speed and a handling suspension. In any event styling is subjective.

I define a station wagon as a car (and the Edge IS a car not a truck) with no trunk but storage behind the passengers in the passenger compartment and with a straight roof line running back to a tailgate or liftgate. The main difference between my Edge and my daughter's Focus wagon is that the Edge is a little bigger and a lot fancier but in basic structure and function they're the same kind of thing.

#53 OFFLINE   07 MKX

07 MKX

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:34 AM

I have to agree with Tom, it's a modern version of a station wagon, but one that people don't mind being seen in. It even has a Vista Roof. Wonder what other model offered that in a station wagon?

#54 OFFLINE   irishtom

irishtom

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (07 MKX @ Dec 1 2007, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to agree with Tom, it's a modern version of a station wagon, but one that people don't mind being seen in. It even has a Vista Roof. Wonder what other model offered that in a station wagon?

Ahh, an old Oldsmobile fan.

#55 OFFLINE   carbonedge+

carbonedge+

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (irishtom @ Dec 1 2007, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I define a station wagon as a car (and the Edge IS a car not a truck) with no trunk but storage behind the passengers in the passenger compartment and with a straight roof line running back to a tailgate or liftgate. The main difference between my Edge and my daughter's Focus wagon is that the Edge is a little bigger and a lot fancier but in basic structure and function they're the same kind of thing.

Except for the "car" part, you just described every CUV/SUV out there. I admitted it is a variation, but I would consider the focus as you described it a wagon as well as the Freestyle (now Taurus X) as wagons. Much more car-like and lower to the ground.

Just my opinion and nothing more.

#56 OFFLINE   07 MKX

07 MKX

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

#57 OFFLINE   dkedge

dkedge

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

I love my Edge.

We were shopping for an SUV/crossovers and were looking at all of the competitors last year just prior to the Edge release.

I looked at the Honda CRV, and couldn't believe what a rip-off it was for a car that was just a 4 cylinder. Very high finance rates too.

I looked at the BMW X3 and thought it was too much money, and really not much value for your dollar.

I looked at the Toyota RAV4 and once you load it up and get the 6-cylinder, with their high finance rates, it was the same monthly price as the BMW!

I looked at the Mazda CX-7, and my head was actually touching the ceiling. Liked the car, except it is only quick at certain speeds, since it's a turbo 4-cylinder. My wife loved this car and we would have actually got it if it wasn't for the fact that my head was rubbing against the roof. I'm 6'0", not exactly a basketball player that should have such a problem.

Looked at the Hyundai Sante Fe, but had the same problem with my head.

Looked at the Saturn Vue, and at this point we were so frustrated that we came oh so close to buying it, even though we were far from crazy about it. Has a nice engine, and my head fits in it. But boring (they made them nicer in 08, but this was 07).

Then Ford came out with the Edge, and as soon as we test drove it, we loved it. My head fit, the finance rates were good. Nice engine, beautiful roof. Nice features. Great wheels. Had everything we wanted and Ford doesn't rip you off with high financing like Toyota and Honda were doing.

#58 OFFLINE   danmarco

danmarco

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

Prior to taking delivery on my ford Edge I had a Dodge Dakota. I changed to the ford Edge for the following reasons:
1. Style
2. Ride
3. Fuel efficiency
4. I quite simply got a great deal.

Dan
2007 Ford Edge SE

Edited by danmarco, 27 December 2007 - 10:22 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:51 PM

Our first requirement has not been mentioned on this thread.

Our list:
1. Towable behind a motorhome (our last car was drug for 50,000 miles)
2. Automatic Transmission (our last car had a standard transmission)
3. All Wheel Drive
4. Roomy and comfortable back seat for large adults (our last car was OK for children)
5. Small enough to fit in our garage in a condo

Not a single car on the market met those five requirements. Some were close, but flunked the back seat test.

A dealer near to where we were staying in our motorhome had a loaded "last years" Edge without a BAMR, that qualified for great financing and they gave us a good trade on a four year old car with a failing transmission.

Ford does not seem to promote that the Edge can be towed without modification. Yet, under a section in the owner's manual titled "Recreational Towing", they clearly endorse it. In the RV world it is called using the car as a "dinghy" or "toad". Towing "four down" means that you tow the car on its own wheels. Aftermarket companies (Blue Ox and Roadmaster) supply "base plates" and "tow bars" that are attached to the front of the car so that it can be connected to the motorhome hitch. Other aftermarket companies supply "auxiliary braking systems" that apply the brakes in the car when the brakes are applied in the motorhome.

#60 OFFLINE   irishtom

irishtom

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (bsprague @ Dec 30 2007, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ford does not seem to promote that the Edge can be towed without modification. Yet, under a section in the owner's manual titled "Recreational Towing", they clearly endorse it. In the RV world it is called using the car as a "dinghy" or "toad". Towing "four down" means that you tow the car on its own wheels. Aftermarket companies (Blue Ox and Roadmaster) supply "base plates" and "tow bars" that are attached to the front of the car so that it can be connected to the motorhome hitch. Other aftermarket companies supply "auxiliary braking systems" that apply the brakes in the car when the brakes are applied in the motorhome.

Man, towing an Edge behind a Winnebago, what a drag (pun intended).

I'd drive the Edge and stay in hotels. I love driving and traveling but I'd hate driving a Winnebago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users