Ever camped out IN THE EDGE??

ladybell

OK so, now that I have the Edge, I wonder .... How many of you have camped overnight in your edge? My husband went on a bird hunting trip and took the edge. When he got to where his buddies were staying he realized he was slightly ill-equipped for sleeping arrangements. But HEY, he could sleep in the edge. There was room. Well .. the poor guy ached all over the next day as he had no blanket, pillow or overall comfortable place to lay. The floor is just not ideal obviously. So I been checking out the idea of an air mattress we can use. I found Coleman has a specific SUV air mattress that just might fit perfectly. It's rather inexspensive too. They offer a 12v DC power pump you hook up to your powerport (just so happen to have that in the back cargo area! Nice!). So I am wondering, have any of you guys used an air mattress or anything of the sort for this purpose? They have those SUV tents. Have any of you ever used those? I like the fact that the Coleman air mattress rolls up to a very storable size that can be kept in the car. Just figure it might be a nice addition for those "just in case" moments. Any feedback is appreciated.

I always kept a twin size air mattress in my Subaru Legacy wagon. Fit perfect between the wheel wells and made sleeping in the back very comfortable. Have the same plans for the edge. But doubt I will be doing it for a little while, I'll probably wait until my little guy gets a little older and I can slowly introduce him to camping.

Well the "deflated" measurement of the coleman suv air bed is 77"x44"x6". But it has a second chamber kind of like a head pillow portion. I feel like it will be too long but just might be just right width wise (inflated of course). I measured the narrowest section of the cargo area and I think there will be no issue. But may have to roll the head section up to close the deck lid if weather is bad. I understand about the young ones. I just don't want to deal with bulky memory foam or pads and thing when this air matress rolls up it is 18" x 12" and that is a perfect storing size.

The one I got was $5 from target, twin size. Haven't tried in the Edge but wonder if a full size would fit better. Would also make it easier to share with the little guy. Might want to watch sales at Target and Walmart on these since they often go on sale. One thing to check out is how flat the cargo area is with the seats folded. In my Subaru there was a slight angle but it was fine because the top of the mattress is flocked. This keeps you from sliding around to some degree.

Yes I have with the wife and we did quite well. I found a local outlet that sells foam and bought a slab of memory foam for the rear. It was about $120. Then with my mother in laws sharpest electric knife and a cardboard template I made, I cut it out to the Shape of the rear. With the front passenger seat folded, there was plenty of room for out bags and we slept in comfort. To vent the truck I bought tent screen from campmor and cut it to the shape of the windows and sunroof (oversized of course) to hold it in place, I have strip magnets that secure it to the outside of the doors. It's like a mobile tent we can park and set up in seconds.

Few years ago went down to NM from Canada. Slept in the back of the Edge for 4 nights at Truck stops so that I could get a shower in the am. Put the back seats down, moved the front seat fwds and put a back pack between the front seat and back folded seat to bridge the gap. Used a 1 1/2" thermo rest. Worked well. If doing it again I would take a piece of plywood to cover the gap between the back seat and the front seat. I am 6' 1.5" and shrinking

• Thanks 1

Edgieguy - I also thought about creating the template and cutting me some memory foam to use but I guess where I have issue it storing it while driving to and fro. Good ideas so far. My husband and I are both tall so I don't expect this to be something chosen more than not but I would like to prepare for the option if needed. Keep any thoughts and suggestions coming! Thanks guys

I dig that tent option too. Not sure how often I would use it but it would remove the need to close the hatch and then I could hang my feet off the end of the mattress if I am too long. Been to a couple of all nighter parties that having that tent or mattress option in a vehicle like this would have saved me from sleeping upright on someones couch or on a hard floor. I wonder about the rear lights when the hatchis open though. Might need a quick disconnect r something programmed to shut out or I could face battery drain.

Edgieguy - I also thought about creating the template and cutting me some memory foam to use but I guess where I have issue it storing it while driving to and fro. Good ideas so far. My husband and I are both tall so I don't expect this to be something chosen more than not but I would like to prepare for the option if needed. Keep any thoughts and suggestions coming! Thanks guys

Ā 

We roll ours up. It's not practical to have in the car all the time, so it lives in a plastic cover in our attic until its needed. Traveling with it is no problem because there is plenty of room for other stuff either on top of it, or next to it.

We roll ours up. It's not practical to have in the car all the time, so it lives in a plastic cover in our attic until its needed. Traveling with it is no problem because there is plenty of room for other stuff either on top of it, or next to it.

Ā 

I'm going with your idea of the mobile tent with the screens on magnets and a cut out memory foam topper. Going to add the trailer for all the luggage and toys. Who needs a trailer large enough to sleep in?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Air mattress is a good idea! Last year I bought an air bed mattress at crazysales and used it in my edge for overnight camping. It was better than I expected, it is available for size and firmness adjustment. Fits perfect in the back seat and very comfortable. The air pump and pillow that is included with this product very convenient and works great, making set up easy and fast.

Edited by Kangaskhan