Torque steering to the right on takeoff

gmaghera

Torque steer on takeoff  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Does your AWD Edge have a tendency to pull to the right on takeoff?

I notice some torque steering with my AWD, but only on takeoff from standstill. Recently had it aligned and it drives straight otherwise. The pull is very light, almost unnoticeable with the hands on the wheel. If I take my hands off, however, the steering wheel will want to go almost a quarter turn to the right when taking off.

Anyone else experiencing this? I understand that AWD is supposed to mitigate torque steer, but I wonder if it does not work as well on takeoffs.

Thanks,

Gabor

Maybe a bit, particularly under heavy throttle, but that's to be expected. It's still a FWD based AWD system. Although the AWD definitely helps on launch, it doesn't eliminate the Torque Steer. I noticed the same issue with the Venza, Journey, and other FWD based AWD cross overs when test driving them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Torque steer is caused by the front drive shafts being of different lengths. Any FWD or AWD will pull in the direction of the longer driveshaft. In the case of the Edge or MKX, the trans is to the left of the engine, therefore, the right driveshaft is longer. The pull you feel is normal. The harder you accelerate, the harder the pull.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the explanation. I had an alignment done at the dealership and they've also confirmed this being normal. They even took a brand new '12 Edge from the lot for a test spin, to see if the behavior was consistent. It was. They called it an idiosyncrasy of the car.

Ford fixed that problem when they came out with the originasl Taurus/Sable---- they had equal length drive shafts--- then as they "improved" things, they un-fixed the problem.

Edited by flyerjmr33

• 2 years later...

UPDATE: Sometime after posting this, I discovered that one of my rims was slightly deformed, which probably amplified the little bit of torque steer on take off. Once replaced, the torque steer effect diminished, but it did not completely go away. I have purchased a 2014 Fusion Titanium, that is also AWD, and it exhibits similar symptoms. There's a tad of a nudge to the right - the outer part of the steering wheel might move a half of an inch to an inch towards the right when taking off (with the hands off the wheel), and then it settles dead center once the AWD system kicks in.

Edited by gmaghera