Speed Governor at 110?

Cdpratt69

Good answer but we like to be able to get the most out of performance gear we put on our vehicles. The tires are high speed low profile sport tires. The car is called a Sport model for goodness sake. I've installed a forced cold air intake with an open air filter, a low restriction exhaust, and SCT flash tuner with a dyno proven tune, lowering springs for lower center of gravity and better handling, and better brakes to stop faster. I could see it governed at a 125-130 mph range but 110 is just silly and a waste of capability in a good car. What if I want to go to the local drag strip and run the Edge? With the performance enhancements I've made a 110 limit is just going to screw me over, no doubt. There has to be a way to reprogram the computer in order to bypass the limit. Someone else out there other than me must want to go past 110 in their $45,000 Edge Sport! This is just silly nanny stuff in my opinion.

"SCT flash tuner with a dyno proven tune"

Have you contacted who you bought your SCT tuner from?

If they can’t write you a custom tune that eliminates the speed limiter, someone else can.

Do you ever visit this FTE?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

There should be someone on there (several SCT sponsors) that can write you a tune.

I did a Google Advanced Search, all of these words for, sct "ford edge"

https://www.google.com/search?q=sct+%22ford+edge%22&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images

ab

I did notice that my Edge Sport AWD is faster since I have taken off the heavy 22"s. I have 18" Bizzaks on now and the handling seems the same and my ride is better even though they are snow tires. I wish they just stuck with 20s instead. What I hate is that this SUV had so much potential but some knuckle head made the decision to stop make this SUV great! Yes, why not put the 3.5 ecoboost? Why cut the corners on the cost regarding HID headlights? Homelink? etc...as options? This will be my LAST Ford....

A shout out to those who tricked out their performance>> What is your new 0-60 times?

I did notice that my Edge Sport AWD is faster since I have taken off the heavy 22"s. I have 18" Bizzaks on now and the handling seems the same and my ride is better even though they are snow tires. I wish they just stuck with 20s instead. What I hate is that this SUV had so much potential but some knuckle head made the decision to stop make this SUV great! Yes, why not put the 3.5 ecoboost? Why cut the corners on the cost regarding HID headlights? Homelink? etc...as options? This will be my LAST Ford....

A shout out to those who tricked out their performance>> What is your new 0-60 times?

Not sure on 0-60 time. I have sn SCT flash tuner with a custom tune file. I also changed the MAFM to allow more air and less restriction. My best dyno was 337 HP with all the changes I have made. No timed runs but it's got thqt seat of the pants feel wher I can tell its quite a bit quicker than stock. Th SCT tuner is also capable of removing the speed governor. That and several other options can be changed with a tune file just as extra options. I'm much happier with the Edge now.

I agree on the dumb moves ford did by staying with halogen lights and the missing home link. I've taken care of the HID light past and I plan to order a universal rear view mirror that has home link butttons on it.

I love my AWD Edge Sport and I get compliments on it almost everywhere I stop. It's like clockwork with people who either want to compliment the car or want to ask a few questions.

I agree on the dumb moves ford did by staying with halogen lights and the missing home link. I've taken care of the HID light past and I plan to order a universal rear view mirror that has home link butttons on it.

It's not a cost cutting measure - that wouldn't make sense because those features would actually add revenue.

I believe it was done purposely to avoid competing with the more expensive MKX that has the same engine.

• Like 1

So you spent how much $ just to find out it was limited to 110? Here's an interesting stat: my stock $30k 2007 Edge will do 111 mph (and yes I know for a fact it goes that fast and has more than once). Yours might get there quicker, but it's still not any faster....or maybe not as the Sport is heavier and even with the 3.7, I think it is slower than the SEL (we're talking stock, off the lot):

2011 Ford Edge SEL 0-60 mph 7.0 Quarter Mile 15.5

2011 Ford Edge Sport 0-60 mph 7.5 Quarter Mile 15.7

I agree though, they should put the 3.5L ecoboost as an option for the Edge. I might would be more inclined to trade in my trusty '07...

My Edge is not "stock, off the lot". If you want a new one now then just go up and look at the 2012 Edge Sport. You will fall in love with it if you are already and Edge fan. It's not just the engine that makes it different. The interior is fantastic and the features are too long to list. I looked at used Edge models for my son before I decided to purchase a new one to replace my older Toyota 4 Runner. I drove several so I am very familiar with the ins and outs of the older models.

I get compliments on my car on just about every trip I take where someone has the opportunity to speak with me, such as a gas station or car wash, etc. I knew my vehicle was limited to 110 MPH before I spent money on the upgrades. I would have done those things even had I known for certain that the top speed is limited to 110. We spoke about this earlier in the post. Its nice to know you can go faster than 110 if needed but the opportunity for these speeds are rare. It's much better now that I know I can get there much faster. If you were to read farther back you would have noticed that I stated that the SCT tune file I have now unlocked the top speed limiter. It's not hard to do at all within the options of the tuner itself. I was just unaware of that option when I first posted this thread.

Carbon, I'm glad you are happy with your $30,000 2007 Edge SEL . It was that particular model that got me interested in the new Edge to begin with and for that I thank you. You were a pioneer of sorts because you drive one of the earlier models that sold so well and kept the Ford Edge relevant. If Ford makes the ecoboost engine an option for the 2014 and on Edge I will most likely get one.

ABLB, thanks for the info and the links. I appreciate it.

My Edge is not "stock, off the lot". I understand that, which is why I referred to and quoted stock figures...my point was (in sarcasm) that you could spend the same on upgrades to an SEL and still be quicker than the Sport with the same upgrades for less money overall; but I can certainly understand how the Sport is more appealing regardless.

If you want a new one now then just go up and look at the 2012 Edge Sport. You will fall in love with it if you are already and Edge fan. I am an Edge fan and I did test drive an '11 Sport and it was very nice, but it wasn't nice enough to convince me to trade in the '07

It's much better now that I know I can get there much faster. If I had the money to spend on stuff like that, I'd feel the same way; in the meantime, the '07 is still quick enough to get me into trouble...

Carbon, I'm glad you are happy with your $30,000 2007 Edge SEL . It was that particular model that got me interested in the new Edge to begin with and for that I thank you. You were a pioneer of sorts because you drive one of the earlier models that sold so well and kept the Ford Edge relevant. I love my '07; since it was new and many can't believe my car is nearly 5 years old. I appreciate the compliment and have felt that if it weren't for the '07 buyers taking a chance on a debut model there wouldn't be any '10, '11 or '12 models. I'll be driving it a few more years; my wife gets the next new car...I'll be persuading her to consider the new Explorer!

Drive it like you stole it...sounds like you do...I know I sure do...

Edited by carbonedge+

Drive it like you stole it...sounds like you do...I know I sure do...

I hope you understand that I was being serious when I said I appreciate the people who bought the first Edge models. Its hard to tell sometimes what exactly people mean on these boards. I was being honest. It was a gamble for you to buy the first edition and like I said, it led to all those sales and the Edge living on as a big seller for Ford. Personally, I wanted a Mustang but our other car is a 2011 Infiniti G37 Convertible and there is hardly any room for back seat passengers much less groceries or my monthly purchases at Home Depot. As much as I would have enjoyed a 540hp GT500 it just makes no sense to own two sports cars in my situation. The newer Edge Sport got my attention because it is honestly sporty for a SUV/Crossover and it has a really nice aggressive look to it, if that makes any sense. I parked it next to one of the new Porsche Cayenne CUVs yesterday and for the money I'll take the Ford. I am aware that the Cayenne is badass but the standard model is much more expensive than the Edge. I'll take the Ford for about $45k and enjoy all the extra cash I have leftover. I also enjoy owning at least one American made car and I feel good about supporting domestic production. (yes, I know many parts come from outside the US)

I think the reason the Sport testing ended up with a slower 0-60 time is primarily the gigantoad and heavy 22" wheels and tires. I love the look of the wheels and they are what I get the most questions on when I'm out in the Edge. I can't count how many times Ive been asked where I purchased the wheels. They look great but they certainly slow down the Sport. I have been shopping for some light weight 20" wheels that will still give it the nice aggressive look. I have not found anything I'm in love with yet but I'm still looking.

Anyhow, to clear things up...if anyone is interested, the SCT flash tuner can remove the speed governor. I have no idea what speeds the Edge Sport is capable of without the governor. I know for sure that it does not cut out at 110 but shortly after I was sure of that I let off the gas. It takes a lot of road to check out those speeds in just about any car. Thanks to all of you who have offered up your info or opinion on this matter. I really appreciate having this place as a resource.

It's not a cost cutting measure - that wouldn't make sense because those features would actually add revenue.

I believe it was done purposely to avoid competing with the more expensive MKX that has the same engine.

I still do not understand this type of business practice. I understand that a company does not want to cannibalize its own sales of a similar product. But I don't believe that this tactic properly serves the intent.

If Ford wants to differentiate the MKX versus the Edge Sport beyond the 3.7L, they should make distinguishing additions to the MKX in Luxury (being a Premium brand) and not by diminishing the Sport. Because doing so (IMO) only limits MKX shoppers from looking at the Sport. I don't think that it draws people from the Sport up to the MKX. At the same time, some people that are cross shopping brands might find the limited configurations unappealing all together.

I say offer HIDs all across the board, the R&D cost would be spread across a larger base, not to mention the scales of economies from selling more HID units.

I still do not understand this type of business practice. I understand that a company does not want to cannibalize its own sales of a similar product. But I don't believe that this tactic properly serves the intent.

If Ford wants to differentiate the MKX versus the Edge Sport beyond the 3.7L, they should make distinguishing additions to the MKX in Luxury (being a Premium brand) and not by diminishing the Sport. Because doing so (IMO) only limits MKX shoppers from looking at the Sport. I don't think that it draws people from the Sport up to the MKX. At the same time, some people that are cross shopping brands might find the limited configurations unappealing all together.

I say offer HIDs all across the board, the R&D cost would be spread across a larger base, not to mention the scales of economies from selling more HID units.

I didn't say I agreed with it, just trying to explain the logic.

In this case they don't have all the pieces yet to further differentiate the MKX like it needs to be, especially in terms of powertrain.

However, I do think it probably pushes some buyers into a MKX, especially if price is not a major factor.

Going forward Lincoln will have different powertrains to differentiate them further along with 100% unique sheetmetal and other options.

For the record I think those features should be available on both.

• Like 1

I'm 42 years old. I looked at the MKX and thought it was just too old feeling for me. I don't see being interested in the brand for my own needs for at least another 10 years. The missing HiD lights were easy to fix and fairly inexpensive considering what they used to cost in the aftermarket. I'm still shopping for a reasonably priced rearview mirror with the home link buttons. $300 is a little deep for plastic, glass, and a cheap remote control unit in my opinion.

After having my 18" winters on my 2011 Edge Sport AWD, I am convinced that some idiot at FORD pressured someone into these stupid 22". I know the 22" look good on paper but they are very heavy and impractical tires which take the "SPORT" out of the Edge Sport! They should have had light weight 20" on instead. My acceleration with the 18s is much improved plus the handling is the same. Just out of feel, I know the 18s would be faster on a slalom course. The 22s just feel heavy in the steering. I just don't get it? After sport tuned suspension, great sport looks, why not go all the way and look at the numbers on paper for performance? Who cares about these stupid worthless paddel shifters! It's not like I bought a Ferrari F1. Take the money spent on the paddle shifters and give me HID option.

Again, so much potential but someone killed the word SPORT in the Edge!

• 2 years later...