Edge Interceptor ?

jackdaniel

• 5 years later...

I can tell you that the Edge is probably the most installation-resistant vehicle I've ever owned, in my 20 years of belonging to a fire dept support group, as well as being an Amateur Radio operator!

I currently have 2 two-way radios installed in my 2015 Sport, as well as an interior-mounted rear light bar, and it took me days to figure-out not only how to mount anything in this vehicle, but more importantly... how to run the wiring (especially from the rear compartment up to under the hood, to directly access the battery! Unlike an Interceptor Utility, there are no really usable wiring channels provided, and getting through the firewall was simply impossible. Mounting an antenna on the mostly-glass roof also forced me to get creative, instead using one of the plastic panels near the rear edge, while also concealing a metal groundplane underneath the panel, for the antenna to work properly.

As far as mounting the two radio control heads in an easy-to-access position, I finally resolved that problem by obtaining a mobile laptop mount intended for the Interceptor (which also happens to be an exact fit for the front passenger seat on the Edge)... and then modifying it to mount radio control heads, instead of a laptop.

I can only say that, IF any agency were ever to seriously consider using an Edge (such as the Sport, with its increased horsepower and torque) for patrol service, they'd better first consider the difficulties in mounting emergency equipment and wiring runs... as the practical challenges are daunting!

post-37844-0-96496300-1505461376_thumb.jpg

post-37844-0-83238700-1505461389_thumb.jpg

• Like 1