Prospective New Owner

I'm a long time (30 years, Yikes!) truck owner (Chevrolet/GMC), and finally decided that they've gotten too big and bulky for my needs or interest. So I'm downsizing, and plan on buying a crossover. I've been intrigued by the Edge since they first hit the market. In fact, almost made the the decision to go with the Edge when I bought my last truck in 2007. I've yet to even test drive the Edge, but looking at them on the lots, and looking at all the specs and pictures, I'm leaning very heavily to give them a try - will test drive a Limited tomorrow.

But based on what I read, I have serious concerns about MyFord Touch. Am I reading too much into the issues that members have posted? Is the press making too big an issue out of the problems? Will the latest upgrade be the fix that's needed?

Thoughts??

I'm a long time (30 years, Yikes!) truck owner (Chevrolet/GMC), and finally decided that they've gotten too big and bulky for my needs or interest. So I'm downsizing, and plan on buying a crossover. I've been intrigued by the Edge since they first hit the market. In fact, almost made the the decision to go with the Edge when I bought my last truck in 2007. I've yet to even test drive the Edge, but looking at them on the lots, and looking at all the specs and pictures, I'm leaning very heavily to give them a try - will test drive a Limited tomorrow.

But based on what I read, I have serious concerns about MyFord Touch. Am I reading too much into the issues that members have posted? Is the press making too big an issue out of the problems? Will the latest upgrade be the fix that's needed?

Thoughts??

I will admit that while the MFT can suck royally it can also be pretty damn nice. At least for ours it seems to save all of its acting up for one time and while incredibly annoying it is not the end of the world. Overall I would give the system a C- the way it stands now. As for the rewrite...no one knows what it will be like but the initial indications are pretty good that they have made things run smoother and faster. I think there will still be bugs since it is software after all but I think it will be a big improvement. Primarily I would say drive the Edge and let that make your decision. If you like the way it drives and you think the deal is right go for it.

I got my 2012 a few weeks ago and the MFT has only gone down once. I was able to get it back by pulling out the card and restarting the car. I took the advice of someone here that said to be sure to wait for the navi etc to fully load before using. The upper right corner will say loading maps . . . and when done will show the street you are on. Takes about 30 sec.

Definitely test drive one, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Have mine almost two months now, and I don't know whether I just got a good one or not but MFT has yet to fail or give me any grief. It IS a complicated system and a little study of system operation is required, but again mine works great. It's a bit strange talking to a car at first LOL, but you get used to it and then wonder how you can drive anything without - it's great not having to take your eyes off the road for most functions, especially audio related, and it's now second nature. I have a Limited too with all the option boxes checked and stuff like Intelligent Access, remote lift gate, smart cruise control, etc etc are more than just gimmicks and make a great car even better. Not to mention it's AWD easily taking me through some real nasty early winter weather. So I guess yea, I'm very happy with mine and highly recommend one! :)

Definitely test drive one, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Have mine almost two months now, and I don't know whether I just got a good one or not but MFT has yet to fail or give me any grief. It IS a complicated system and a little study of system operation is required, but again mine works great. It's a bit strange talking to a car at first LOL, but you get used to it and then wonder how you can drive anything without - it's great not having to take your eyes off the road for most functions, especially audio related, and it's now second nature. I have a Limited too with all the option boxes checked and stuff like Intelligent Access, remote lift gate, smart cruise control, etc etc are more than just gimmicks and make a great car even better. Not to mention it's AWD easily taking me through some real nasty early winter weather. So I guess yea, I'm very happy with mine and highly recommend one! :)

I neglected to mention that I turned in a 2008 that I really liked. It did not have bells and whistles, so I admit the MFT was overwhelming to me when I test drove it. However, what is nice is that the menu is broken down into 4 parts, one in each corner of the screen so you choose what you want and there it is. There is more if you dig deeper but the basics are pretty easy to grasp once you study it.

My only comment would be that you actually drive the vehicle you intend to purchase for some time. I dont know the situation for the 2012 but Ford have recently announced a significant investment in robots to improve assembly and reduce wind noise. I had a 2008 that I loved and based on that I bought a new 2010 sight unseen. Big mistake. Wind and road noise much worse than my 2008. Based on information on this forum I have sort of corrected the problem. Dealer is OK but Ford say nothing wrong!

I appreciate the comments. I finally went with the premise that even if MyFord Touch isn't the best it can be, that it's not something to keep me from strongly considering the Edge. Based on looking at specs over and over again, building this model, and then building it again, I was pretty convinced what model I wanted to consider. So I visited a couple of dealers today, test drove the Edge, and was very impressed with the drive, the handling, and even with what little I got to play around with MFT, I was very OK with that! I ended up getting an Edge Limited with virtually no additional options, White Platinum, with a Sienna leather interior. I'm out of town for the weekend, so I won't get to pick it up until Monday. :(

Thanks again for the views, thanks for the comments.