Power lifegate doesn't always close

SaraMocke

From Ford Edge Facebook page:

Kyle Hower

I had planned to take my Edge to the dealership after the previously discussed power liftgate software revision was available. If Ford is aware of the cause of the issue, I'd rather not have a dealership guess as to its cause and get it wrong, especially if that involves unnecessary adjustments to the physical positioning of the liftgate's latching mechanism.

Natasha At Ford

There’s no need to worry, Kyle. They are aware of the causes and will provide a solution. Shoot me your info and I’ll set you up with a CSM for your area to help as well.

Gail Snyder

I believe the fix involves resetting / editing the computer settings, no physical changes to the actual gate. Natasha At Ford, is that correct?

Natasha At Ford

I believe so too, but since I’m not a tech, I can’t absolutely say yes. But I think you are correct, Gail. :)

Stopped by the dealership today, Ford never got back to them, re - the pgm update. One of the techs called them, Ford promised to get back with an answer. WTF, my dealer is trying, it's the woman that is supposed to be in charge of the program rewrite that the problem. :censored:

Edited by JOEHIO

Mines been perfect since adjusting the latch and replacing latch mechanism. I don't know how software is part of this. There has not been any ill effect by mechanically adjusting and replacing these items?? Maybe I just lucked out? If Ford shouldn't have fixed mine like they did, well, that's why there's a warranty? Maybe u guys should have your dealer call my service writer at my dealer? You never know....

Edited by Superdave

My suspicion is that the safety reverse function was configured to be overly sensitive on the 2012 model. It seems as though the resistance encountered when the liftgate is attempting to engage the latch triggers the safety reverse function. When this occurs the warning tones, similar to those which announce the impending closure of the liftgate, are sounded. Increasing the amount of force required to engage the safety reverse function beyond any typically encountered closing situation should mitigate the issue entirely. This seems like something which could be configured via software.

A mechanical solution might involve moving the latching mechanism toward the rear of the vehicle to remove the resistance of the hatch opening's rubber gasket. While I can believe that could work, it could also lead to an inferior liftgate seal. Personally, I'd rather have the engineer-derived solution if it's available.

Hi guys, I don't experience that problem, but while looking for another issue, i found this ....

Here's what could be the solution to the problem, it has been posted by "FordGuru" in the "recall" section of this forum

It's has been dated by Ford on March 7th 2012 for TSB 12-03-03, it's called :

tsb12-03-03 Power Liftgate Opening - Intermittent Operation - Built on or Before 3/2/2012

Here's the link to post # 19 of that section ... http://www.fordedgef...topic/9075-q-a/

Hope the fix is the right one for you guys ....

Edited by slypx

Hi guys, I don't experience that problem, but while looking for another issue, i found this ....

Here's what could be the solution to the problem, it has been posted by "FordGuru" in the "recall" section of this forum

It's has been dated by Ford on March 7th 2012 for TSB 12-03-03, it's called :

tsb12-03-03 Power Liftgate Opening - Intermittent Operation - Built on or Before 3/2/2012

Here's the link to post # 19 of that section ... http://www.fordedgef...topic/9075-q-a/

Hope the fix is the right one for you guys ....

I just made an appt at my dealer to have that fix performed this coming Sat (3/31). Hopefully it works.

I also have the power lift gate issue and took it to the dealer about 2 months ago and the issue was not fixed since the lift gate will open occasionally when closed. What I will do is bring it in again when I go get my oil change and see if they can get it fixed this time and will report back on my results.

Taking my MKX to the dealeer toomorrow. They called last week, have a program ( ? ) update to perform. Will see if it works. If I open a door or window before closing the power liftgate,m it ALWAYS closes on the first try. Gotta be pressure related.

Edited by JOEHIO

:happy feet: Just got back from the dealer for the liftgate problem not always closing. They got a update from Ford regarding this, and it was a simple program update to adjust the amount of force to close the gate. I checked it twice before leaving the dealer, and all was okay. Got home, opened and closed about 10 more times, and it closed on the first try every time. I was in and out in less than a half hour. :wub:

:happy feet: Just got back from the dealer for the liftgate problem not always closing. They got a update from Ford regarding this, and it was a simple program update to adjust the amount of force to close the gate. I checked it twice before leaving the dealer, and all was okay. Got home, opened and closed about 10 more times, and it closed on the first try every time. I was in and out in less than a half hour. :wub:

Not sure how your dealer did that because mine is going to replace the entire module via TSB 12-3-3.

Not sure how your dealer did that because mine is going to replace the entire module via TSB 12-3-3.

Does your gate not close if the ignition is cycled on?, That is what the TSB you posted indicates. Mine would not close (most of the time) when the car was off. A simple program update solveds the problem for me, no latch replacement at all. I hope they get the problem resolved for you.

Joe

The electronics of the tailgate are inspected as part of the liftgate TSB. If there are no corrosion issues, the modules are again installed. If there is an issue, they are replaced. My liftgate electronics were inspected, confirmed to be in good condition, and the firmware update was applied.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a problem with the power lift gate not closing completely, some of the time. 2012 Edge, 4 cyclinder with Ecoboost. I read on this forum about a software upgrade. Our dealer installed this upgrade and there have been no poblems with the lift gate closing completely ever since.

I noticed this thread back before I got my Edge, and sure enough I've been having the same problem. Three months later it's failing to close more often than not, so I'm finally taking it in Monday to get it fixed. At least it sounds like everyone is having success with the fix.

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I have a 2013 AWD version and my Power Gate seldom ever works without issues. Started with it opening about 10 inches and then shutting. Then if it did open all the way, when I clicked any buttons fob, inside door button, or dash button, it would drop about 10 inches, stop and then open again. This started happening every time I ever used it. I took it to the dealer when it came down on me and knocked groceries out of my hands onto the ground. It was suggested that I replace both struts which I did. This seemed to solve problem for about 1 day. Next day it happened again. Its in the shop for the fourth visit now with no success. Perhaps Ford should discontinue this feature as from all the forums like this one show, its a LAME DUCK SERVICE!