Hand wash OR Car Wash

Hand wash OR Car Wash  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to wash your Edge?

• Hand Wash
    • Car Wash

For the last little while.. I haven't been able to hand wash my Edge

So finally.. after much time - I hand washed my Edge - something I actually enjoy.

So - just wondered - how do you prefer to keep your Edge clean?

Tips and tricks welcomed.

I hand wash our black Edge. Black's a color that really shows swirl marks if you run the car thru a car wash, so I elect to hand wash it. In the winter, I use the pressure spray wand....

I use Meguire's car wash soap and their Instant Detailer in between wax jobs. I usually wax our cars 2-3 times a year, and find that using a clay bar prior to the wax really works well to get the smooth finish back. When washing, I use the 2-bucket method (soapy water in one bucket...clean water in the other...rinse the wash mitt out in the clean water before dipping it again the soapy water).

There's a great forum if anyone's interested in car care tips at www.f150online.com.

For both economic and meticulous reasons, I prefer to hand wash. But I can also avail myself of a touchless car wash nearby. The touchless uses no brushes and they do a great job quickly, especially if I'm pressed for time. It went to the detail shop for a good clean and wax right after I got it and I expect I'll do this at least once a year.

For both economic and meticulous reasons, I prefer to hand wash. But I can also avail myself of a touchless car wash nearby. The touchless uses no brushes and they do a great job quickly, especially if I'm pressed for time. It went to the detail shop for a good clean and wax right after I got it and I expect I'll do this at least once a year.

An acquaintance of mine and her husband sells automatic car-washing equipment. They told me to be careful of the "touchless" because the chemicals are much harsher and stronger than with the "touch-method." They need to be since the only thing washing the car is the liquid.

They said that the newer type car washes (Splash, Rapido Rabbit, etc; free vacuums) are all "touch-method" but the material they use is very soft and will not cause damage to the vehicles.

I have the carbon metallic edge and it shows dirt real bad I knew this when purchasing the edge but they did not have a silver, anyway if I want a real deep clean I will hand wash at home with a pressure washer and the 2 bucket method. But in the winter I usually just run it though the touch less wash one a week for 5 bucks to get the salt and dirt off. I also get my cars professionally detailed once or twice a year. I use to wax my own car but it was just a little civic but the edge is ALOT bigger and would take me forever.

I hand wash my Edge. Its something I enjoy doing but if I dont have the time I take it to a Handwash place, they do a great job. as far as wax jobs, i usually have my vehichles done once a year, it seems to maintain. never heard of the two bucket method, does it have an advantage vs. spraying it off. I have one of those sprayers that have different settings so I usually set it to shower and rinse. :shrug:

I hand wash my Edge. Its something I enjoy doing but if I dont have the time I take it to a Handwash place, they do a great job. as far as wax jobs, i usually have my vehichles done once a year, it seems to maintain. never heard of the two bucket method, does it have an advantage vs. spraying it off. I have one of those sprayers that have different settings so I usually set it to shower and rinse. :shrug:

It seems that most people prefer the hand wash method..so do I...but I wonder if that should be the ONLY method specially if one has the pseudo chrome plastic wheels...

Hand wash for sure..

If you take care of it from the beginning, it's very quick to wash. The day i picked up the car i:

1. washed

2. used a clay bar to remove rail dust, and other crap from sitting at the dealer

3. polished using Klasse All-in-one (great stuff!)

4. sealed using Klasse Sealant glaze

5. next day, put another layer of Klasse glaze.

a double layer of Klasse glaze will last up to one year. From then on it takes me 30 minutes ot thoroughly wash the car.

The only car washes I go to are the do-it-yourself ones in the winter to get any salt/road grime off.

Coming from a family with many connections to the car business, I can tell you that routine machine washing is very harmful to the finish on the car... rubbing off paint, clear coat, wheel finishes, headlight lenses, etc.-- it is IMO akin to sandblasting your beautiful car! We use the car wash ONLY during the miserable dead of winter when it is the only convenient way to get salt and grime off the car.

My 2001 Jeep with the clear coat finish has many microscratches in the finish that came from occasionally 'treats' to the car wash. The waxes I have do not cover these. They are permanent. If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time (or at least through the lease or loan period) best to hand wash carefully.

For me, it's a physical workout that I enjoy-- and beats joining a gym or spa!

NOTE: TOUCHLESS car washes with undercarriage clean are BEST, but they leave a film on the car that will impede it's beautiful finish-- especially with the bright clear coat colors. I will never own a black or white car again for this reason.

Edited by scalewoodman

• 2 weeks later...

Rinse with pressure washer, very soft sponge and soap, rise with pressure washer, hand dry with absorber. Wax once a month if paste of liquid wax. Real wax(carnauba) will last 6 months.

Don't use joy or the like...it removes the wax. Buy car wash soap. Doesn't take much.

I usually hand wash my vehicles unless it too cold out, then I'll use a touch-less car wash.

I just waxed my Edge for the first time since purchasing.

I used the Mothers California Gold 3-step Carnuba wax.

All three products go on like a liquid wax and are rubbed in and then wiped off when they dry to a haze.

The first is a cleaner that is used 1-2 times per year.

The second is a glaze, and the final is a carnuba wax. (both can be used as often as you like)

I applied the products on all the painted surface at first except for the bumpers to do a little test.

When I took a clean towel and passed along the waxed surfaces, it flew around with no resistance at all.

Once I transitioned from the waxed surface to the un-treated surface of the bumper, it was like hitting sand paper.

I couldn't believe how "sticky" the towel felt on the un-treated surface.

I recommend trying the product and I'll be sure to keep up on using it as well.

Rinse with pressure washer, very soft sponge and soap, rise with pressure washer, hand dry with absorber. Wax once a month if paste of liquid wax. Real wax(carnauba) will last 6 months.

Don't use joy or the like...it removes the wax. Buy car wash soap. Doesn't take much.

NEVER use a sponge! Sponges trap dirt on the surface and grind it into the paint, leaving swirl marks and scratches. Use a wool mitt, keep it clean and rinse it often. And you don't need a pressure washer, either.

Here in Nj we have "hand car washes" place that actually have 2 guys with mittens doing the wash and then a blowing fan to semi dry it and finally 3 guys doing the final drying ...I tell you guys is the best a regular size car is $10.00...(car washes in the area are about the same)............in my case is $14.00 SINCE i HAVE AN 05 Expedition...oh God!!!!....I can't wait until the lease is over in April 08.....

NEVER use a sponge! Sponges trap dirt on the surface and grind it into the paint, leaving swirl marks and scratches. Use a wool mitt, keep it clean and rinse it often. And you don't need a pressure washer, either.

Soft wool eh? Thats why it makes me itch? Must have lab born sheep In you neck of the woods. Nah, bet there are more buildings than trees there. I'm in BFE myself. To be specific I use a "Microtex Micro Fiber Chenille SPONGE". The threads are "100 times smaller than human hair". Doesn't trap dirt either. No..a pressure washer is not required but I don't like work and have better things to do. Like fishing! It takes half the time if one is used. Cleaning finder wells, engine, undercarriage, etc. with a brush is not fun and takes forever. Electric one with 1200 psi or more is all it needs. Mine is 1750 I think. They are cheap too. Mine was $150 or so. I have hot water outside which really helps. Nice on colder days for sure. My black f150 is brown top to bottom with atleast 100 lbs of mud after a day of wheelin. The gritty mud that makes deep scratches on glass and tears rubber from wipers. Wanna sponge it? Think I washed and waxed it 4 years ago. Why bother when I drive it threw the woods..literally! Carried a 175 lb deer out...once. Learned my lesson after the first mile. Problem is had 3 more to go. Have a 120 HP JD covered with cow pie's too. LOL! I'll pay real good! Bet I can cook a pig in the ground before you finish washing both! Have us a field party! Beer, bikini's and live music sound good? :happy feet:

Anyway...Its just faster and easier. Gets to the hard to reach places. Clean everything in and out top to bottom is what I do. All vehicle's rust and it starts from the bottom. Look under any new car and its already started. Under coat once a year to prevent rust. If you're gonna do it...do it right! I to do the laser wash w/rain-x once in a while. $10 for a $5 job IMO. Not worth it...but I'm lazy. Take them to a detail shop in the winter once or twice. Couple black guys. Do a much better job than crackas. $60 for everything on a full size suv.

Only way they last is to park it in a garage all the time and don't drive in the rain. Never park under trees is a must! I say screw it. They are fall apart in the long run so when it looks bad and/or gets an attitude, sell the problem to someone else and get a new ride.

Edit:

Jeff,

I know its hot in AZ but you can breath atleast. I trade you some SE 102F w/ high humidity stagnet air and very hard water. What you say? Grass here makes a crunch sound when walked on. Gotta have shoes or it pricks ya. All lawns are dead here. Its just sad. Mowers create dust storms so I have to was the car again. Irrigated lawns and golf courses are brown too in high spots. IMO, its not zone 7 here anymore. Hotter and drier every year for past 10. So glad I sold the landscaping business!! BTW, retirement is expensive! You agree?

I redneck engineered a big belt driven 5 ft. fan with 12 water misters on the front that makes the heat tolerable...but its very loud. 10-15 degrees cooler according to fluke temp probe. Zip tie power! Woot! Why pay $2k when I can build it with a $35 HD hotel type mister line off ebay, $5 at Lowe's and a fan? Mine has character too!(AKA ugly). Maybe a smaller version of this would help you or someone who reads my BS? Or pay some 12 yr old $10 and watch from inside? Stay cool!

Edited by rehtaf

Are you depressed? Need someone to talk to? I'll listen. Whats up? Dude! Chill! Have a brew or sumfin. Smile! Laugh more! You can frown when you're 6 feet under!

To answer your well thought out comment...I was explaining my earlier post and sharing some ideas to stay cool with the AZ guy..or anyone for that fact!! Nobody is holding a gun to you head and forcing you to read my post!!! Life is all about choices...make the right ones and leave a good impression is what my parents told me growing up. Sorry to have a personality..geez! Yes... I speak my mind and I BS a little. Well...maybe a lot. Whats wrong with that? Atleast I WAS ON TOPIC!

BTW, any contest with a $ bet...I'm in! Makes me smile, laugh and life more fun! Lose..win...doesn't matter. Fore instance..I bet your next post contains less than 50 words.

Edited by rehtaf

• 4 weeks later...

It's 5:06 PM. Saturday, sunny, Temp about 69F right now. 9/15/07

I just finished hand washing the Lincoln. For this vehicle it's quite an involved process. Few days ago I 'Clay-ed' the whole thing, Detailers Clay + Lube, Vista Roof to Chrome wheels. Next comes the Two-bucket hand wash. One bucket is to rinse the wool mitt out before it goes into the soap bucket for a recharge. Wiped down with a wet chamois. Ordered a California Water Blade to speed the drying process. I was afraid of using one until a friend remarked, I'm taking the same chance of scratches with the chamois. The grill has a GREAT tendency to water spot because of all those squares. Must blot them real good.

I've got to do something to take care of water spots. Either I take the easy route and plumb me a line of water off of the house Hot water system (softened water)or I have to get some type of portable water demineralizer. It's pathetic to see the water spots that are left after wiping dry. I'll have to clay the wheels to get them spot-free again, now.

Next I will be applying a sealant. I will be using 3M's painters tape to tape off the bottom black plastic all-around the car, and any other places where sealant/wax should not go. I waxed it once after I got it, and just a few light brushes of wax got on that plastic and has yet to wear off 2 months later, and I've tried all types of wax remover. I have a Cyclo Polisher, and about 4 different types of sealants to chose from. Probably will choose the Jeff's, this time to see how it looks. Sealant once a year and pure Carnauba wax maybe 2-3 other times/yr.

Anyways, for your viewing pleasure My Pearl White Lincoln . This is a Sunday Driving car only. I fired the chauffeur so I could drive it myself.

To: 07MKX I got some excess wax on my black parts and got it to come out with a product called "Bumper Black" Manufactured by THE WAX SHOP.

Thank you Senior, Anyway you can look at the bottle and report back as to exactly what it is? I've had no luck googleing for it, "The wax shop" doesn't seem to be a manufacturer. A lot of places are using that name for an assortment of detailing products. Same luck with Bumper Black. Was this a dressing or something to actually remove it? I know the wax I used was mothers cleaner wax, pink and good smell.