Hand wash OR Car Wash

Hand wash OR Car Wash  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to wash your Edge?

• Hand Wash
    • Car Wash

I got the bottle...The end result...This product contains petroleum distillates...Boy does that tell you something....Geez! The Wax Shop a division of TWS Industies, Inc. Bakersfield California 800-323-9192 or 805-397-5274...That is what is on the bottle....Then again I got to say....The item may well be as old as ? .......Poured some out on a dish...It has the appearence of the Armor-all "Extreme Tire Shine".....which coming to think of.....may just do it too....It cleans the tires enough to be black again...Hmmmm....I may try the "tire shine" on the under the front part tomorrow...I always have to scrub that...cause of the #@%* bugs.....................Sr.

It does say specifically designed to remove stains, wax residue from smooth and textured surfaces like bumpers, trim, mirrors and any flat black surfaces.....Of course they can say most anything......................................Sr.

Edited by edgesenior

After having the Clean-Seal treatment when I got my Edge I spotted a big ol spot of "wax" on the front.

I read around, here too I'm sure, and kept seeing the peanut butter & toothbrush method.

Works! No doubt!

As I went around and looked close there was swipe marks all along the plastic all around the car and on the mirrors and keyless entry pad.

Creamy PB, soft old toothbrush, and a rag. :)

Turtle Wax, it's just not your fathers wax anymore.

Speaking of the ICE, Turtle Wax web site has a great deal for that only online. I used the Jeff's Werkstatt Acrylic Jett: Trigger for a sealant this time, - probably used about 1 oz. for the whole vehicle. A True wipe on, walk away sealant. Pleased, very pleased, Will probably go into greater detail on it later. And used Aerospace 303 for the black trim around the truck. I tend for the higher end products, I seem to get a bigger bang for the bucks.

Thanks for the tip on the ICE for the trim, my trunk is loaded with all those ICE products, but have yet to use them. IF you want 1 product to greatly improve your exterior appearance, I would get a detailing clay. Perhaps about $20 But well worth it. A good place to get products online Detail King.

After having the Clean-Seal treatment when I got my Edge I spotted a big ol spot of "wax" on the front.

I read around, here too I'm sure, and kept seeing the peanut butter & toothbrush method.

Works! No doubt!

As I went around and looked close there was swipe marks all along the plastic all around the car and on the mirrors and keyless entry pad.

I've never heard of the PB to remove wax, but if it worked? We use window cleaner or degreaser and a toothbrush or a stubby paintbrush.

I admit it. I use the carwash. but I work at the detail shop ;) so I can repair anything that the carwash does. The main thing is how clean the carwash is, If it's full of dirt or mud then yes it will mess up your ride. But if it's clean and well maintained and has the right amount of soap everything SHOULD be fine. I would stay away from the public carwashes with the brushes. You never know who drove their 4X4 through full of mud.

Has anyone ever tried the "Meguiar’s Dual Action Polisher"? We have one at work and it's sweet. Takes about 5 minutes to wax my Edge.

As for wax I use Eagle One's NANO wax with the DA Polisher. If you have a black ride (or almost black Dark Amethyst Metallic) you should give it a try. The NXT wax from Meguiar’s is good for the rest.

I've never heard of the PB to remove wax, but if it worked? We use window cleaner or degreaser and a toothbrush or a stubby paintbrush.

Yep! I could hardly believe it when I tried the peanut butter. Worked like a charm!

Someone said it was something to do with the oil in the PB.

The first spot I tried it on... I was figuring it would take some work, but instead it took about 2 minutes or less.

When I realized I had swipe marks all around the entire car I spent about 20 minutes going over the whole ride. All gone!

I was doubtful until I did it myself. Now I will swear by the method. It works! :)

• 3 months later...
Hand wash for sure..

If you take care of it from the beginning, it's very quick to wash. The day i picked up the car i:

1. washed

2. used a clay bar to remove rail dust, and other crap from sitting at the dealer

3. polished using Klasse All-in-one (great stuff!)

4. sealed using Klasse Sealant glaze

5. next day, put another layer of Klasse glaze.

a double layer of Klasse glaze will last up to one year. From then on it takes me 30 minutes ot thoroughly wash the car.

The only car washes I go to are the do-it-yourself ones in the winter to get any salt/road grime off.

That's my exact method but will add a carnauba to top the whole thing off.

Works! No doubt!

wow... learned something new... but does all natural organic type PB work? seriously, no joke.

I have used the peanut butter solution and yes it does work. But it made me hungry for a PBJ and I didn't finish the job.

MKX Buy Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl cleaner. Also called Meguiar's 39, probably $9.00 that will certainly take the chaulky shit off of the black Vinyl. Most those other products just cover it up and it always comes back.

By the way MKX I am going to do a poll. Do people prefer to walk to school or take their lunch? What do ya think?

I hand wash. Since Im a car guy, its therapy to me. I usually wax whenever i change the oil.

I like meguiars and xymol products. The quick detailers are great and I like to use them while drying the car on every second wash. Im a big believer in RainX and apply that after every wash as well... Ive found with the Edge's steeply raked windshield that I dont even need the windshield wipers when it rains with RainX on the window. I also use a california waterblade to dry off the car first, then follow up with a real chamois. the California Water Blade is a super soft latex blade to sweep water off the car. Inside I use the chamois again for dust, a soft toothbrush for cracks and crevices, and a lint roller to clean the rear carpet cargo area

I hand wash. Since Im a car guy, its therapy to me. I usually wax whenever i change the oil.

I like meguiars and xymol products. The quick detailers are great and I like to use them while drying the car on every second wash. Im a big believer in RainX and apply that after every wash as well... Ive found with the Edge's steeply raked windshield that I dont even need the windshield wipers when it rains with RainX on the window. I also use a california waterblade to dry off the car first, then follow up with a real chamois. the California Water Blade is a super soft latex blade to sweep water off the car. Inside I use the chamois again for dust, a soft toothbrush for cracks and crevices, and a lint roller to clean the rear carpet cargo area

Hey Edgieguy I use the brush attachment when vacuuming. Works great dusting the dash, actually gets the cracks and crevices also. It is that real soft brush attachment, mine actually came with my Kirby and is made of Horse Hair. Round attachment, long bristles, does a great job.

Just thought I would pass that on to you as an option when doing the interior.

When my wife got her Edge I told her to never take it to an automatic car wash with the rotating brushes or cloths. I took one look at that low sloping antenna and could see a brush bending it or breaking it right off. Well, she generally handwashes her cars anyway but has been going to a brushless place this winter. Then last week a coworker who also has a 2008 Edge told her to never go through an auto car wash. He had run through an automatic car wash with the spinning cloth strips. As it was going over the top it apparently bent the mount on the antenna or moved the antenna enough to bend the roof. The antenna was not sealing well to the roof. In any event, a couple weeks later he noticed a stain on the headliner by the moonroof controls. Aparently water started leaking in around the bottom of the antenna when it rained and leaked in. He's now arguing with the dealer on repairs. The problem wasn't caused by a factory defect but rather something he did.