Battery?? Odd behavior

ladybell

Within the last couple of months, I have experienced a dead battery. No lights left on, no doors left open, no true cause for this. After a jump the edge cranks fine and operates fine. Another couple of weeks go by with no further, issue. Then it happens again. Jump it again and I have my shop check the battery. Test shows the battery is charging fine. Personally I call B*******. So I just get a new battery. Since the new battery I haven't had another issue with starting. However, there is something odd. This is a 2010 limited. The backlit screens that show the radio frequencies and the area where the trip recorder and other data is shown, it fades out to a dull light. At times they are as bright as the backlit light of the AC/Heater system light, and then they fade to a dull light and at one time faded out to nothing at all. Couldn't tell what frequecy or mileage or anything read. Has anyone ever experienced this? Naturally it behaves this way just after the warranty expires. This happened prior to the battery change and they are still dim now afte the new battery. But my real thoughts are maybe since the battery has now been changed, that there is some method of syncing all the electrical system and such with a series of key twists, pedal pumps, on/off's, and maybe a dance move or two while sticking out my tongue will correct the issues without me having to go to a local dealer.

Thoughts?

• 5 months later...

(Transcribed from 2010 Edge - Battery)

03/08/12 - Have 2010 Edge AWD LMTD, w/17,635 miles. Dealer (Lakeview Ford, BC, MI) dead battery changeouts at 8,572 miles - 17 January 2011, and 17,618 miles - 07 March 2012. Warranty work. That's three batteries, counting the factory original, to date.

Update: 21.4K miles as of 7/16/12. No problems noted thus far. Also, the last battery the dealership installed carries a CCA rating of 650.

• 6 months later...

Twice this past week the battery has gone dead in my 2010 Edge AWD. I have found the cd changer trying to change the cds over and over. In the morning, the battery is dead and needs to be jumped. The weather was very cold in Ontario the first time, -25, but only -10 the second time. Any one else have this problem?

• 4 weeks later...
Within the last couple of months, I have experienced a dead battery. No lights left on, no doors left open, no true cause for this. After a jump the edge cranks fine and operates fine. Another couple of weeks go by with no further, issue. Then it happens again. Jump it again and I have my shop check the battery. Test shows the battery is charging fine. Personally I call B*******. So I just get a new battery. Since the new battery I haven't had another issue with starting. However, there is something odd. This is a 2010 limited. The backlit screens that show the radio frequencies and the area where the trip recorder and other data is shown, it fades out to a dull light. At times they are as bright as the backlit light of the AC/Heater system light, and then they fade to a dull light and at one time faded out to nothing at all. Couldn't tell what frequecy or mileage or anything read. Has anyone ever experienced this? Naturally it behaves this way just after the warranty expires. This happened prior to the battery change and they are still dim now afte the new battery. But my real thoughts are maybe since the battery has now been changed, that there is some method of syncing all the electrical system and such with a series of key twists, pedal pumps, on/off's, and maybe a dance move or two while sticking out my tongue will correct the issues without me having to go to a local dealer.

Thoughts?

These things eat batteries, I finally put an Optima red top in my 2010, zero trouble. Hey Ladybell, did you just try turning the radio off and back on again? Thats how I had to reset mine.

Twice this past week the battery has gone dead in my 2010 Edge AWD. I have found the cd changer trying to change the cds over and over. In the morning, the battery is dead and needs to be jumped. The weather was very cold in Ontario the first time, -25, but only -10 the second time. Any one else have this problem?

Its the battery.

• 3 months later...

My wife has a 2010 Edge as well. First battery replaced 2/12. Battery just died again. Going to take it back to the dealer for yet another battery. What is it with these vehicles?? Last time they said they put a better battery in with more cca's. I charged it up last night and it is back down half a volt with no load. These batteries are no good. A little over a year for replacement once I can live with. 2 times in 2 years?BS.

• 10 months later...

Batteries may sit awhile awaiting a vehicle to put it in. Also, Motorcraft batteries aren't what they use to be. In the past, I've had decent luck, though I leased a few vehicles. Anyway, Sept. 07', my wife leased an Edge and I purchased an 08' Ranger. Both batteries crapped out w/in 4 years. Neither were replaced with Motorcraft. Why, when other brands were both less costly and better rated?