Q & A

FordGuru

thought i'd start a post to give everyone a chance to ask any questions or express any concerns they may have regarding warranty, recalls, or TSB's. :sos:

We all know that the way stuff like this is worded, it can lead to more :banghead: than when you started. but there are easy ways to decipher the warranty and policy manual.

So, no matter what your question or gripe is, lay it on me and i'll do my absolute best to help.

*Disclaimer*

If you're not a factory trained technician, don't go barging into your dealership spouting off and telling them what to do. I say this because I deal with it every day. It's rude and makes you look bad.

TSB's do not mean Recall. A TSB is a way to cut back on down time for the customer to be out of their own vehicle and expedite the repair process. Just because there is a TSB does not mean that your car is a lemon or defective. It could simply be that Ford or Lincoln found/finally realized (whatever the case may be) that there is an issue with parts, assembly and/or both.

The guy at the dealership that some people are rude to DID NOT BUILD THAT VEHICLE. He didn't even have a hand in putting it together. All he's trying to do is fix it and help you get back on the road. And even though he may spend SEVERAL hours working on your vehicle to get back in shape, he'll probably only get a 1/4 of actual time spent fixing it. It sucks, but it is a reality. So keep these things in mind when taking your car in. We are only here to help, and common courtesy and respect go a LONG way.

One last thing, no matter how many internet articles you read or print off, your dealership CAN NOT use them in troubleshooting or repair warranty issues. I personally hate this, because if someone out there has a legitimate fix, then we should be able to do what needs to be done, but on the brighter side, people at Ford do read these boards and MANY MANY others looking for things like what you guys come up. How's that for research and development! lol

*End Disclaimer*

Edited by FordGuru
  • Like 1

Hi. I need to take in TSB 11-6-1 for my 2009 Edge. Would you post the details, please? In your opinion, would this type repair be covered under the power train warranty?

Thanks in advance!

what are the symptoms of your concern? and keep in mind, i'm just a guy on the other of a computer. No matter what i say, i'm not your servicing technician and my opinion based on the info you give me means exactly zip to the technician looking at your vehicle.

my posts are info only and in no way a diagnostic evaluation.

In any case, here's the info you requested

tsb11-06-01.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

What is Ford's official policy for repairing problems that are addressed by a TSB, but that cannot be reproduced by the technician? I have the transmission thump issue on my 2011 Edge, brought the car and TSB 11-5-6 into my dealership, and they will not do the repair because they cannot reproduce the issue. I have 6k miles on the car and have had the thump occur maybe 5 or 6 times. The odds of them reproducing the problem on a short test drive are minimal. I have agreed to let the Tech take the car home with him to do a more extensive test drive, so hopefully I'll get lucky and he'll get it to thump, but my guess is that I'm going to get the 'cannot reproduce' answer tomorrow morning.

What is Ford's official policy for repairing problems that are addressed by a TSB, but that cannot be reproduced by the technician? I have the transmission thump issue on my 2011 Edge, brought the car and TSB 11-5-6 into my dealership, and they will not do the repair because they cannot reproduce the issue. I have 6k miles on the car and have had the thump occur maybe 5 or 6 times. The odds of them reproducing the problem on a short test drive are minimal. I have agreed to let the Tech take the car home with him to do a more extensive test drive, so hopefully I'll get lucky and he'll get it to thump, but my guess is that I'm going to get the 'cannot reproduce' answer tomorrow morning.

by you agreeing to leave the vehicle for further testing you've stated the official, unofficial policy. dealerships cannot fix what we can't re-create. The problem is that there may be up 3 or more TSB's addressing similar symptoms or concerns but all 3 can have extremely different repairs. I've seen this firsthand where one TSB costs FoMoCo about $34 give or take a few dollars depending on shop warranty labor rate, and another TSB with VERY similar symptoms cost FoMoCo $1250 dollars. Hence the reason the technician has to be able to re-create the symptom or concern himself and compare his findings to volumes of tech data. Because if we get it wrong, or over repair it means ALOT more than just a single kicked claim. it can potentially put a dealership into warranty counseling or even audit status.

Hi Rob,

I've had issues with the tailgate not closing on the first try with my '12 MKX since new. Had it to the dealer, they made numerous adjustments per Ford's instructions, and still no luck. Took it back about a month and a half ago, Ford told them that the program for the liftgate has to be rewritten, and should be out shortly. Stopped by yesterday, they still didn't get a answer, so they were going to call back to find out what the holdup is on the pgm update. Well, forum user jmichel just entere a post on this, and said tht he discovered that if he left a door or window open, the rear gate would close on first try. Sure enough, I tested at least a dozen times - open the gate, hit the button to close it, and almost every time, it would not close on the first try, BUT, open the rear door, hit the button to close the gate, and like magic, closes on the first shot ! Do you think that it could be a pressure issue?, that's what jmichel thinks is the cause.

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

thought i'd start a post to give everyone a chance to ask any questions or express any concerns they may have regarding warranty, recalls, or TSB's. :sos:

We all know that the way stuff like this is worded, it can lead to more :banghead: than when you started. but there are easy ways to decipher the warranty and policy manual.

So, no matter what your question or gripe is, lay it on me and i'll do my absolute best to help.

Hello, Glad you can offer some insite on our Edges.

I'm not sure if theres a problem w/ my rear window defroster. Here are the details:

2012 Edge Limited, AWD, built, 10/11, I live in NY.

In cold weather, when I use the remote start, the rear defroster should work (it is set on auto on MFT left menu screen). I read somewhere that it works when temps are at or below freezing. Is this so??

It did work in the past, I saw it melt frost (rear view mirrors too) in early morning, I think it was above freezing at the time.

When I manually turn it on, it seems to work, but weak.

The heating elements look fine.

Before I go to the dealer, I'd like to know for sure if at or below freezing activates the Defroster when using R/S.

Thank you.