Flat Towing the EDGE behind your RV

g-man54

Those of us who have experienced having a dead battery at the end of the first day towing the Edge behind our RV can now purchase the after market trickle charger called the TOAD CHARGER. The best part is that FORD will reimburse you for the cost of this kit and may be willing to install it at no charge. The kit is called the TOAD CHARGER and is made in San Antonio, Tx. Cost is around $110.00. I chose to install it myself. THe kit consist of a 40 or 60 foot cable which connects to your RV vehicle battery/s and then into a small trickle charger mounted in the engine compartment of the Edge. THe time to install was less than 2 hours.

This does NOT mean that FORD has found the cause for flat towed Edges batteries going dead or a fix for the problem. It is only a workable band-aid to the problem. Joe in Pensacola.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the input. I had similar problems. Our first trip resulted in a dead battery 2 times. Had to call AAA. Battery totally dead after 6 hours of towing. Also other strange happenings--rear door opening by itself 3 different times, radio quitting, parking lights going on at random intervals. Ford dealer in St George Utah found that once the battery goes dead, you must program battery saver mode again or problems continue. Mine not solved yet but working on problem. Seems like battery draw in accessory mode runs about 3.4 amps which will drain any battery relatively quickly. I touched the battery terminal while car in accessory mode and it was so hot that I blistered my finger. In their testing they found if you just turned on your engine, put it in neutral, and then just turned off your engine without going to accessory mode, draw on battery was down about 75%. They are waiting for ok from ford to tell me to tow that way instead of in accessory mode.

• 1 month later...

If you are flat towing (which it's seems you are) you probably have at least a 7 into 4 hook up for your toad lights. All I did was run a wire from the hot pin in the 7 pin plug, thru a 20 amp one way circuit breaker to the hot post on the Edge. Took an hour, and cost 5 bucks. This has been for a year now, no problems since. Also, I run a solar/battery powered wireless stop/directional bar that suction cups to the rear window. Another way to stop any draw on the Edge battery.

Robbie

'11 Edge Limited AWD, pushing a 42' Fleetwood Providence MH

• 1 month later...

I have also used the Toad Charge with excellent results. just completed a 9 week trip to New England. I, however, replaced the connectors at the car end with 2 conductor polarized connectors that I spliced onto the wire ends with crimp connectors. I found that the wires sometimes pulled out of the green connectors that Toad Charge provided. This connector can be purchased at any auto supply dealer that sells trailer connectors.

• 1 year later...

Started towing my 2011 Edge Limited during the winter of 2013 behind an Entegra Coach Anthem. Experienced a dead battery just about every time the car was towed. Kept a heavy duty battery charger in the coach basement for those occasions. During the summer of 2013 decided to take the Edge to Jones Ford in Reno and they installed a new (almost top of the line) battery. I haven't had a problem since. I do stop every 2-3 hours to start the car and let it idle for at least 15-20 minutes This process has worked every time.