Doors not unlocking on Limited

i20sailor

I've had my Edge Limited for over 2 months now and today the doors would not unlock when grabbing the door handle. I tried locking and unlocking various times and most of the time it would not unlock. Keyfob unlock works fine. Weather here is cold and snowy, but it has been this way for a while and this is the first time I've had this issue.

Anyone else have any issues with this?

I've had my Edge Limited for over 2 months now and today the doors would not unlock when grabbing the door handle. I tried locking and unlocking various times and most of the time it would not unlock. Keyfob unlock works fine. Weather here is cold and snowy, but it has been this way for a while and this is the first time I've had this issue.

I have had issues with this on my limited, the fix for me was to wash it all that dirty snow and crap blocked the sensors, I found this odd since my 2008 mazda cx-7 has never had an issue with that.

Glad it seems to have worked itself out and hope it stays that way.

Was anyone else near the car with key 2? I found mine wont open the driver door if my wife is standing near the car with her key in her pocket... its a bit strange. I went through a phase where mine was really playing up - maybe I'm just putting two and two together? I tried cleaning the handle all over (and under!) but only managed to get it to work if I got my key out and put it right near the door.

We should all keep our eye out for this and see if we can find a way of reproducing the issue... without leaving the keys a long way from the car ;-) :hysterical:

Did it again for me two days ago... always happens when I'm in a rush though so I can't try out scenarios (and its damn cold in Canada and I want to get in to get warm!). The car was running using remote start this time and I was the only person anywhere near it. I found the door would respond to the lock (the bump on the outside of the handle) but not the unlock (the inside of the handle). So what I mean by that is if I pressed the outside of the handle you could hear the car try and lock even though it was already locked and I think the hazard lights flash too. So I know the car could detect the key.

Hands were clean, door handle was clean on both sides. Since that time its been working fine again... its so frustrating!

I've had the same problem, or something very close to it, a couple of times. It's as if the system isn't picking up the key even if I'm pressed right up against the door. Has only happened when it's particularly cold out and there may have been some ice on the door and lock area. I've then had to use the keycode pad to get inside. Possibly a feature that didn't get enough cold weather testing...

I've had the same problem, or something very close to it, a couple of times. It's as if the system isn't picking up the key even if I'm pressed right up against the door. Has only happened when it's particularly cold out and there may have been some ice on the door and lock area. I've then had to use the keycode pad to get inside. Possibly a feature that didn't get enough cold weather testing...

It was 20 below for a week here and no issues with that...

Mine did it again yesterday and I even filmed it on my mobile phone camera. I show that it recognises the key because when I hit lock you can hear the door locks trying to lock the car again. I went around to the passenger door and that wouldn't let me in either... Went back around to the driver door and after standing outside for a couple of minutes suddenly it let me in! Miracle! It then happened later on in the day too - same thing, in the end I just hit unlock on the keyfob.

Not sure if its related but when I first got the car, sometimes I could walk in my garage and the car would be "buzzing". It was an electrical extremely high pitched squeel but you could hear it clearly. If I started the car and turned it off again it would stop but I'm so convinced it was to do with the IA.

After all of these incidents, I'm really sure it is not my key (because it is happy to lock the car even when its locked...), it is not the door handle because the passenger side does the same (and thats hardly ever been used) so that leaves me believing that there is something fundamentally wrong with either my IA system or the system in general if others are seeing this too.

Anyone else suffering? Hope Ford visit this site and keep their eye on this thread because it could develop.

Same problem here, sometimes it works flawlessly and other times, I have the same issue as you guys.

My guess was that it wa related to the dirt/weather but from your comments it seems not related.

Nothing in the user manual gives me a clue on this. Does this happen to only a fraction of '11 Edge owners?

I would try a new battery in the fob...just for grins

But I cannot see how that would help if the car recognises the keyfob being nearby (as the lock function works).

So here's the latest thought.... *what if* the car thinks we are already sat in it. That would explain the behaviour possibly?

Surely thats a security "feature" so that you couldn't get someone trying to enter the car at the stop light or something? I need to do some more testing but I have a feeling that this is the problem...

I lock my car every time using the door handle, I might start locking it with the keyfob and see if the problem goes away - I'm just looking for reproduction steps. Halbran - how do you lock yours? I find that this happens more commonly when I have remote started the car using the 1) lock button 2) remote start button twice.

I'm going to the dealer soon for my 8000km service (and will get the Sync updates applied). If this doesn't work I'll have the IA unit replaced (its located inside and above the glovebox).

Interested in the feedback but Halbran I have exactly the same symptoms as you. Ford need to know about this - has anyone called them out on it yet?

I had this exact problem today and it was 16 degrees outside but I also just got the Sync Gen 2 update and have been having other issues. No dirt on the handle and I was bare handed. Not sure if it's the cold temp or the update. Will keep you posted though!

I have not had this problem but the method of locking seems to have some relevance according to some conclusions reached here. Having said that, I always lock the car using the inside button. Sometimes I have used the outside door handle button or by pushing the last 2 of the keypad above the door handle. I have had very cold temps too.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd drop an update on this because its been a while. At the beginning of Feb I had the latest updates applied to the car during its 8000km service. I was lucky and the car demonstrated its fault to the guy that wanted to move it into the service area which I thought was great because they've now seen it doing its little tricks.

The mechanics reprogrammed the APIM and the latest MyFord Touch updates were applied. A few hiccups but in the end they did a good job, none of these strange issues (ambient lighting mix ups, and Lincoln theme applied for example).

Since that day, remote entry was perfect. It was like when I got the car... I was so happy. We've had good an bad weather, much like we've had here in Canada since I took ownership of the car back in November. Temperatures low, lower and even lower :yup:

Then, all of a sudden yesterday it started happening again. And again today. Grrrrrr so frustrating! :banghead: I've called the dealership and they are contacting Ford engineering to see what they say. Like I've said before, the car knows you are there because you can attempt to lock the doors using the raised bump on the handle and the lights flash in acceptance. The unlock will not work however on either drivers or passengers side.

Update - just had a call from the dealer! Ford posted this Special Service Message this weekend!

Special Service Message 21744

Ford have identified there is an issue with 2011 Super Duty, Edge and MKX's with the Intelligent Access system.

They are advising the dealers to do nothing right now (but tell owners to use the key :shades:) until they have a fix. The message describes exactly what I see - an intermittent issue,

I'm so glad that this is now taken seriously and Ford will fix this annoying thing!!!! :hyper:

Edited by l33

^ Yep, they sure have been Ed. Since the APIM replacement, all MFT/SYNC features are working fine. :)

How is yours working?

First problems cropped up couple days ago while on the highway. But the Cross Traffic/Blind Spot alert corrected itself the following morning but the clock is all over the place...I think I have been in every time zone from Asia to NL with this clock. Jumped ahead 5 hours, then down to 3 and now about 2...should be in NST zone in couple more days..lol.

• 2 months later...