how do dogs and edges mix??

nickys.edge

hi im 22 and i cant wait to get my edge!!im getting it in a week or 2. ill be honest though im buying a car for my dog...maggie, shes a yellow lab...cute as heck. i do have a question...does anyone have a dog that and how does the edge work with him/her? since the dealer wont let me bring her and test it out, i actually folded down the second row and climbed in...acted as though i was a dog (and let me tell you the salesman thought i was crazy!!). soo to save me the embarrasment...again...advice would be awesome!! thanks so much.

hi im 22 and i cant wait to get my edge!!im getting it in a week or 2. ill be honest though im buying a car for my dog...maggie, shes a yellow lab...cute as heck. i do have a question...does anyone have a dog that and how does the edge work with him/her? since the dealer wont let me bring her and test it out, i actually folded down the second row and climbed in...acted as though i was a dog (and let me tell you the salesman thought i was crazy!!). soo to save me the embarrasment...again...advice would be awesome!! thanks so much.

I've got two very large black labs and I think the Edge will be just fine with the seats down. I'm planning on taking my dogs for may rides once my 2008 arrives. I'm probably going to get the Weathertech rear cargo liner and will look at some kind of protection for the back of the rear seats. The only negative I have with my 2003 Expedition is the dog hair that gets trapped in the cloth and carpet in the rear, so I'm going to try and minimize that in the Edge. Hope this helps.

We have three dogs and it seems to work out best to have the seat up. Especially for the Border Collie going to and from Agility meets as she can settle in and nest for a good nap where as the flat back she can't (unless we pack a dog mattress). I suspect a good deal of that comes from being used to seats in the mini-van.

Nicky, my german shepard fits fine in the Edge. I usually drop the right side seat so he can see me when he lies down. He's quite content and is ready jump in anytime I open the hatch. A set of travel bowls fits nicely under the back seat. He's already been on trips to Tahoe and Yosemite this summer. Alternatively, you might think of renting an Edge for a day or so for a "try out".

post-825-1189387647_thumb.jpg

Nicky, my german shepard fits fine in the Edge. I usually drop the right side seat so he can see me when he lies down. He's quite content and is ready jump in anytime I open the hatch. A set of travel bowls fits nicely under the back seat. He's already been on trips to Tahoe and Yosemite this summer. Alternatively, you might think of renting an Edge for a day or so for a "try out".

post-825-1189387647_thumb.jpg

ok your germen shepard is very handsome!!! i noticed in the picture that you have a plastic liner on the back of your second row seating. what is it and where do i get it? cause i know for sure that would cut down on hair. i also plan to get a liner just like yours. im not sure if you use this but if you have this brush called, "the furminator". its an awesome brush, a little on the pricey side but worth it. it cuts down the hair by 50%!!! stunning.

Thank you for your kind comment. I've had a couple inquiries regarding the liner. It's a simple, inexpensive solution.

It's "carpet shield" temporary carpet protection. It is self-adhering film, like saran wrap and a drop cloth combined. Comes in rolls in 24" x 50' or 100'. Less than $10 at Home Depot, in the carpet department. I put it on the carpeted surfaces - goes on easy, comes off easy, and does not leave a residue. It minimizes the fur embedding in the carpet a lot and I spend a lot less time vacuuming out the fur. Simba has his periods of shedding too! I put it on whenever Simba comes along for a ride, like our trip to Tahoe the other day. Works very well to protect the carpet and catch his "drool". Since I have the cargo liner, I don't cover the whole floor - just enough to balance the overlap. One piece on each half of the floor "split" with about about 1 inch wrapped over the back, and separate pieces for the backs of the seats to maintain the indvidual seat folding. I had it on throughout the Labor Day weekend. Afterwards, removal, light vacuuming and clean up were a snap. Works great!

I second the fruminator. Does not work on our pointer, a bit better on the border collie and wonderfully on the corgi. Darn good on the cats too (but they don't ride). Pointers hair is too short and coarse - and she hates it - so a waste of time for her. The Corgi has a very thick coat with tons of fine under coat hairs. Does a bang up job on those.

That plastic idea is a keeper. Thanks for mentioning that!

And thanks for the furminator tip. I guess doggie and I will jump into the Edge and run off to the pet store. :)

We have American Bulldogs and they fit great. No seats down :happy feet: When you buy the furmintor buy the 3 in for large dogs. I got mine off of HSN. We love it. :happy feet: :hyper:

Edited by dcrouchman

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the dog tips!! as soon as i get my eddge ill be getting the carpet liner stuff and rear liner and maybe this hammock like thing that attaches to the back of the front seat and the head reast on the second row. its at www.jbwholesale.com they have so many types of gadgets for dogs and their owners car!! check it out

• 3 weeks later...
It's "carpet shield" temporary carpet protection. It is self-adhering film, like saran wrap and a drop cloth combined. Comes in rolls in 24" x 50' or 100'.

Here's an online source for the carpet protection stuff that Bobby mentioned: http://www.plasticover.com

It works great for this, but just remember you can't leave it down forever sionce its temporary! :redcard:

Edited by Edgeee